Gosselin: After 20 years of excuses, Cowboys don't deserve preseason rubber stamp for playoff contention

junk

Not So New Member
No no, just stop. Let's just look at the last five years and pretend we got smarter.
Listen, you've got Jerry. Then you've got the next generation of Jones'. Stephen, Charlotte, Jerry Jr.. We've even got the third generation (Spaulding) waiting in the wings.

And what about the Garretts. This only the second generation. I'm sure there are some kids there that can embed themselves in the fabric of the organization.

This tradition of.....excellence?.....is going to continue for awhile.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The same front office that was in charge 20 years ago is still in charge today. And they've shown a long pattern of incompetency. I'd say that makes it pretty relevant.
So then why not go back 25 years. Same front office and all.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No no, just stop. Let's just look at the last five years and pretend we got smarter.
If you want a fluff piece telling you how horrible Jerry is this is a great article. If you want to tell me our odds of the playoffs next year are bad because what we did 19 years ago, I'd tell you that you're clueless as shit. There is a massive difference.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
If you want a fluff piece telling you how horrible Jerry is this is a great article. If you want to tell me our odds of the playoffs next year are bad because what we did 19 years ago, I'd tell you that you're clueless as shit. There is a massive difference.
He's saying it used to be you'd write them down for the playoffs every year, even if there was something that was iffy, the last 20 years have taken that out, they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

data

Forbes #1
Jerruh's quick to say look at the last 25 years and 3 Super Bowls. It's working!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's saying it used to be you'd write them down for the playoffs every year, even if there was something that was iffy, the last 20 years have taken that out, they don't get the benefit of the doubt.
And if you want to say you can't pencil us for the playoffs next year I would agree. Has nothing to do with the past 20 years though. Has everything to do with Romo and his inability to stay healthy. If he isn't healthy our chamces are 0 percent.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
CR55, if you want to just consider the last five years then when you get right down to it, Dallas has literally been a .500 team. One playoff appearance a couple of years ago and each year before or after, meh. Winning percentages in that time frame: .500, .500, .500, .750 and .250. Average, average, average, good, suck.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And if you want to say you can't pencil us for the playoffs next year I would agree. Has nothing to do with the past 20 years though. Has everything to do with Romo and his inability to stay healthy. If he isn't healthy our chamces are 0 percent.

And having a deathstar-like fatal flaw has been a hallmark of this franchise over the past twenty years.

data

Forbes #1
I doubt we were getting the preseason rubber stamp in 1989, either, despite 5 SB appearances and 15 playoff appearances in the previous 20 seasons.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
We are one of the dregs of the league. I can't believe some people haven't accepted that fact yet.

townsend

Banned
We are one of the dregs of the league. I can't believe some people haven't accepted that fact yet.
Actually we're just frustratingly mediocre. Because the front office is so fucking lazy, even when we have all star talent they're content to plug in JAGs all around them, instead of legitimately building a team.

The cowboys are content with mediocrity, because the moves they'd have to make to pursue excellence woud take them out of their comfort zone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Actually we're just frustratingly mediocre. Because the front office is so fucking lazy, even when we have all star talent they're content to plug in JAGs all around them, instead of legitimately building a team.

The cowboys are content with mediocrity, because the moves they'd have to make to pursue excellence woud take them out of their comfort zone.
The organization would be better off if they piled everyone with the surname Jones or Garrett into a plane with serious engine problems.

townsend

Banned
The organization would be better off if they piled everyone with the surname Jones or Garrett into a plane with serious engine problems.
It's okay because the Joneses would remain optimistic that the one smoking engine would keep them airborne.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I see one constant over the 20 years of losing, and that is....Jerry Jones.

That's all that really needs to be said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Top Bottom