The Great Police Work Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned

Austin traffic stop leads to violence – and painful words
csmonitor

Austin police have released a video of a white officer slamming a black school teacher into a truck during a traffic stop. But a conversation between the officer and his colleague has sparked even more concern.
By Story Hinckley, Staff JULY 22, 2016

A video surfaced this week of two Austin police officers yanking second grade school teacher Breaion King from her car at a routine traffic stop and then violently throwing her to the ground twice.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo apologized to Ms. King for the way she was treated by Officer Bryan Richter at a press conference Thursday.

“You were approached in a manner and treated in a manner that is not consistent with the expectations of this police chief, of most of the officers of this police department, and most importantly, I think, of all of us as human beings,” said Chief Acevedo.

The video's release comes at a time when police around the United States are under heightened scrutiny for what many critics say is a national pattern of disproportionately aggressive policing of members of the black community. A conversation between the arresting officer and his colleague included in the video suggests a prejudicial view of African-Americans as inherently threatening.

Officer Richter first pursued King after he saw her going 50 miles per hour in an area with a 35 m.p.h. speed limit. King later pulled over in a Wendy’s parking lot and got out of the car. The dash cam video shows Richter asking King to get back in the car and to find her driver’s license.

King doesn’t close her car door, and Richter said she continued to be “uncooperative.” She later pulled away from him while reaching for something on the passenger side of the vehicle, and Richter tried to grab her arms. King then tried to throw a punch “so I took her to the ground,” Richter said in his police report.

A second video shows King sitting in the backseat of the patrol car talking to Richter and Officer Patrick Spradlin, who had joined his colleague at the scene.

In this conversation, Officer Spradlin says people are likely afraid of black people because of “violent tendencies.”

“99 percent of the time you hear about stuff like that it is the black community being violent,” adds Spradlin.

Individual officers have been accused of harboring similar sentiments in other high-profile arrests and shootings of black suspects.

The broader question for policing is not necessarily one of overt racism, rather it is a question of whether unexamined perceptions of black people and black neighborhoods creep into the so-called use-of-force matrix an officer turns to in times of crisis. In a country where black people are up to 21 times more likely to be shot by police than whites, according to a ProPublica analysis of FBI statistics, the issue is of enormous importance, experts say.

“I was heartbroken because I looked at that video and thought that would never happen to me as a white woman,” King’s attorney Erica Grigg told KXAN News. “It’s what I believe; I don’t think it would’ve escalated the way it did had she been white.”

The incident happened in June 2015, but Ms. Grigg says her client was afraid to go forward with the case until now.

“She was just so embarrassed and horrified and scared quite frankly to come forward and complain," Grigg said. "She doesn’t trust the police any more after this and so I think that’s what took her so long to come forward.”

King says she eventually decided to come forward to set an example for her students.

“What happened to me was inexcusable and the individual officers who violated my rights, and the public trust, must be held accountable in our courts of law,” she said in a statement. “The violence we have recently seen against the men and women who serve us in uniform is also deplorable.”

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Ok, I know this will not be taken well by those of you who think the police are brutalizing black people simply because they are black. But....While the officer did not handle things well, he was initially polite and thoughtful until she refused to do as she was asked. The officer obviously over reacted, but to act like the female in that video did not contribute at all ridiculous. I have met Chief Acevedo several time and wished he had put in for the Fort Worth job before we hired the chief we did. And I understand that he must say things to protect his department, but any of you watching that can see it starts out how many of these things do and goes downhill from there. As has been said before, the street is not a place to argue with an officer. Had she cooperated and been pleasant he may have just said "please slow down and have a nice day." At worse she gets a citation and can set it for court. I'm not defending the officer for his actions afterward, but everyone in this video bears blame for the result. Both were idiots.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not defending the officer for his actions afterward, but everyone in this video bears blame for the result. Both were idiots.
I feel like that's kind of a cop-out. She was rude but that doesn't somehow justify what the officer did, all over what was a speeding ticket. Every person in every profession deals with rude people. It doesn't give them a pass to beat the crap out of that person. The only profession that seems to get away with that is this one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Austin traffic stop leads to violence – and painful words
csmonitor

Austin police have released a video of a white officer slamming a black school teacher into a truck during a traffic stop. But a conversation between the officer and his colleague has sparked even more concern.
By Story Hinckley, Staff JULY 22, 2016

A video surfaced this week of two Austin police officers yanking second grade school teacher Breaion King from her car at a routine traffic stop and then violently throwing her to the ground twice.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo apologized to Ms. King for the way she was treated by Officer Bryan Richter at a press conference Thursday.

“You were approached in a manner and treated in a manner that is not consistent with the expectations of this police chief, of most of the officers of this police department, and most importantly, I think, of all of us as human beings,” said Chief Acevedo.

The video's release comes at a time when police around the United States are under heightened scrutiny for what many critics say is a national pattern of disproportionately aggressive policing of members of the black community. A conversation between the arresting officer and his colleague included in the video suggests a prejudicial view of African-Americans as inherently threatening.

Officer Richter first pursued King after he saw her going 50 miles per hour in an area with a 35 m.p.h. speed limit. King later pulled over in a Wendy’s parking lot and got out of the car. The dash cam video shows Richter asking King to get back in the car and to find her driver’s license.

King doesn’t close her car door, and Richter said she continued to be “uncooperative.” She later pulled away from him while reaching for something on the passenger side of the vehicle, and Richter tried to grab her arms. King then tried to throw a punch “so I took her to the ground,” Richter said in his police report.

A second video shows King sitting in the backseat of the patrol car talking to Richter and Officer Patrick Spradlin, who had joined his colleague at the scene.

In this conversation, Officer Spradlin says people are likely afraid of black people because of “violent tendencies.”

“99 percent of the time you hear about stuff like that it is the black community being violent,” adds Spradlin.

Individual officers have been accused of harboring similar sentiments in other high-profile arrests and shootings of black suspects.

The broader question for policing is not necessarily one of overt racism, rather it is a question of whether unexamined perceptions of black people and black neighborhoods creep into the so-called use-of-force matrix an officer turns to in times of crisis. In a country where black people are up to 21 times more likely to be shot by police than whites, according to a ProPublica analysis of FBI statistics, the issue is of enormous importance, experts say.

“I was heartbroken because I looked at that video and thought that would never happen to me as a white woman,” King’s attorney Erica Grigg told KXAN News. “It’s what I believe; I don’t think it would’ve escalated the way it did had she been white.”

The incident happened in June 2015, but Ms. Grigg says her client was afraid to go forward with the case until now.

“She was just so embarrassed and horrified and scared quite frankly to come forward and complain," Grigg said. "She doesn’t trust the police any more after this and so I think that’s what took her so long to come forward.”

King says she eventually decided to come forward to set an example for her students.

“What happened to me was inexcusable and the individual officers who violated my rights, and the public trust, must be held accountable in our courts of law,” she said in a statement. “The violence we have recently seen against the men and women who serve us in uniform is also deplorable.”
This article is so full of bullshit and slant it's not even worth acknowledging.

Cotton

Staff member
I feel like that's kind of a cop-out. She was rude but that doesn't somehow justify what the officer did, all over what was a speeding ticket. Every person in every profession deals with rude people. It doesn't give them a pass to beat the crap out of that person. The only profession that seems to get away with that is this one.
You have to separate what cops face with what you face as an attorney. Or what I face as a civil servant not in law enforcement. You can't equate the two. Trying to do so is ridiculous. Her reaching over into the passenger seat and pulling away from the cop while he is trying to give her instruction is the worst thing you can possibly do. But, our society is setup to reward victims and reduce accountability so people like you and others can cry foul at the least little shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to separate what cops face with what you face as an attorney. Or what I face as a civil servant not in law enforcement. You can't equate the two. Trying to do so is ridiculous. Her reaching over into the passenger seat and pulling away from the cop while he is trying to give her instruction is the worst thing you can possibly do. But, our society is setup to reward victims and reduce accountability so people like you and others can cry foul at the least little shit.
Why is giving someone a speeding ticket so inherently dangerous? It's not. This is the problem and why tensions have grown like they have. An officer treating a speeding ticket like he is executing a search warrant on a drug house.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cops are trained specifically how to handle these situations if the are not able to handle it they need to get another job.

He said put your feet back into the car.

She said why.

He then said ok mam and then reached into the car and grabbed her.

You can see she is facing the officer the entire time.

Also if he is in such fear why ask her to get back in the car?

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Next to domestic disturbances, a traffic stop is absolutely the most dangerous thing an officer does and the most frequent. You have to watch traffic coming behind you, you never know what the person in the car is going to do, and then there is always the case of idiots like this one making more of it than it should be. What I said is exactly true. If that officer had approached you on a traffic stop as he did her initially, would you have behave as she did? I doubt it. Once it got to that point he over reacted and it went side ways from there. There is no excuse, but both are absolutely at fault.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
If you doubt the traffic stop thing, youtube cop shot on traffic stop. I'm not posting them here you go find them.

And Jiggs, I said he over reacted, but of course you will not allow one iota of her being at fault in this. Go figure.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If you doubt the traffic stop thing, youtube cop shot on traffic stop. I'm not posting them here you go find them.

And Jiggs, I said he over reacted, but of course you will not allow one iota of her being at fault in this. Go figure.
So asking why is somehow now a fault that gets you manhandled by a cop.

He never even asked her to step out of the car he grabbed her.

How is asking why a fault is this now a totalitarian country?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that officer had approached you on a traffic stop as he did her initially, would you have behave as she did? I doubt it. Once it got to that point he over reacted and it went side ways from there. There is no excuse, but both are absolutely at fault.
No I wouldn't have behaved like her. But I don't behave like that with anyone. That doesn't excuse what the officer did or how he acted.

The officer should face the same repercussions anyone else would if they behaved in that manner. The problem is he won't and that's why we see so many incidents like this.

Cotton

Staff member
Why is giving someone a speeding ticket so inherently dangerous? It's not. This is the problem and why tensions have grown like they have. An officer treating a speeding ticket like he is executing a search warrant on a drug house.
I have seen many videos of cops getting shot on a traffic stop. You think they haven't seen that, as well? Hell, they are trained to watch for it. As well they should be.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I have seen many videos of cops getting shot on a traffic stop. You think they haven't seen that, as well? Hell, they are trained to watch for it. As well they should be.
Especially now after all the targeted attacks on them

Cotton

Staff member
Cops are trained specifically how to handle these situations if the are not able to handle it they need to get another job.

He said put your feet back into the car.

She said why.

He then said ok mam and then reached into the car and grabbed her.
Yeah, he grabbed her because she refused to do what he asked her to do. Do you think that a person has the right to refuse a cop's reasonable orders?

Also if he is in such fear why ask her to get back in the car?
Uhh, if he is fearful, wouldn't he want her contained? You make little sense in your arguments most times.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
BTW if any of you were watching the broadacast when his son was giving a speech Wednesday night, I was temporarily drafted to help the Secret Service protection team kinda. This is what you may have seen. Cool huh? I'm the one that is lower on the photo.

image1.jpg

Cotton

Staff member

She is black. Why would he? Sorry, but that's the narrative he has held for years. Obama is the only one on the planet that does less wrong than black people in his opinion. People are so afraid to be labeled racist to talk about truth. The only way to fix the problem is to talk about that truth. There are issues both in our urban communities and with some of our officers. Problem is, as a "evolved" society we only want to try to fix one side of it, and ignore the fuel being thrown on the fire by the other side of the equation. It's detrimental, and something our current president is adept at.

Cotton

Staff member
BTW if any of you were watching the broadacast when his son was giving a speech Wednesday night, I was temporarily drafted to help the Secret Service protection team kinda. This is what you may have seen. Cool huh? I'm the one that is lower on the photo.

View attachment 391
That is very cool, brother. Stay safe, man. There are some of us still out here that support you 100%.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, he grabbed her because she refused to do what he asked her to do. Do you think that a person has the right to refuse a cop's reasonable orders?

Uhh, if he is fearful, wouldn't he want her contained? You make little sense in your arguments most times.
Have you actually watched the video?

He never gave her a command to get out of the car he just grabbed her.

But I am glad you backed off the lie that she was reaching for something.

And let me get this straight, you think asking somebody to get back in a vehicle which could possibly contain a weapon is containing them?

And you are accusing me of making no sense.:lol

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
No I wouldn't have behaved like her. But I don't behave like that with anyone. That doesn't excuse what the officer did or how he acted.

The officer should face the same repercussions anyone else would if they behaved in that manner. The problem is he won't and that's why we see so many incidents like this.
Exactly, you wouldn't have behaved as she did because you understand that at that moment the officer has authority over you for a legitimate reason and the proper course of action is to cooperate and take it to court of you get cited and disagree. People such as her, a teacher no less, should know that as well as they have authority over our children. I bet she expects respect from the kids she teaches. but then again, maybe not.

So asking why is somehow now a fault that gets you manhandled by a cop.

He never even asked her to step out of the car he grabbed her.

How is asking why a fault is this now a totalitarian country?
He had already explained to her why she was being detained. and yes her actions did cause him to over react. And I'll say it once more in case you weren't reading without your BLM tinged goggles. THere was no excuse for the way he behaved and he will face repercussions from his department I would bet on it.

Cotton

Staff member

Difference in these situations is, she only has one interaction with police to react on. The cop has hundreds. She is reacting on one instance, he is reacting on a week full of them. Not excusing what he did, but put yourselves in a cop's shows for once instead of sitting on the sidelines judging. It's not an easy job.

Top Bottom