Archer: Cowboys CB Orlando Scandrick set to report for workouts Monday

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys CB Orlando Scandrick set to report for workouts Monday

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys get back to work Monday in their offseason program, cornerback Orlando Scandrick will be on hand for the first time with hopes of getting a new deal by the end of the week.

Scandrick and his agent, Ron Slavin, met with the Cowboys last week in an effort to get a reworked contract. Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he was optimistic the sides could work something out.

The Cowboys are in the second week of Phase 2 of the offseason program that includes on-field teaching sessions with the coaching staff. Phase 3 of the organized team activities begins May 26 followed by the mandatory minicamp June 16-18.

Scandrick has not attended workouts since the beginning of the offseason program on April 20. While he forfeited $500,000 in his base salary based on a de-escalator for missing more than 90 percent of the program, he will make up for the loss in a potential new deal.

Scandrick, the Cowboys’ best cornerback, was scheduled to make $1.5 million this year, which is less than what third-down running back Lance Dunbar could make this season. Scandrick is the third-highest-paid cornerback on the roster behind Brandon Carr ($8 million) and Morris Claiborne ($2.607 million).

In 2013, the Cowboys reworked Scandrick’s deal, guaranteeing him $9 million. He is scheduled to make $3 million a year from 2016-18.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Way too much money in the secondary. That has to change in 2016 to have any chance of keeping Hardy.

hstour

Brand New Member
Don't need to pay Hardy if Gregory pans out, which I would image is the bet they are making.

Also if Jones pans out and Carr doesn't take a cut, then he can be let go next year.

It's an iterative process.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Don't need to pay Hardy if Gregory pans out, which I would image is the bet they are making.

Also if Jones pans out and Carr doesn't take a cut, then he can be let go next year.

It's an iterative process.
Yep

townsend

Banned
I'd be damn interested in retaining Hardy's services if possible. Guy's all that mean streak you beg for in a defense. The best defenses have multiple high end pass rushers.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd be damn interested in retaining Hardy's services if possible. Guy's all that mean streak you beg for in a defense. The best defenses have multiple high end pass rushers.
Yeah, I keep them both if at all possible.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And Hardy is physically stout enough to shield for LB's on running plays. He's a perfect DE.

hstour

Brand New Member
Let's not forget how Lawrence returned from the broken foot at the end of the year. While I agree you keep talent when you can, but Hardy, should he have a great year, is going to be expensive.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
sign dez, make hardy a prove it contract for another year since at this point it seems like he is missing 10 games, and then franchise hardy the following year. its simple

townsend

Banned
sign dez, make hardy a prove it contract for another year since at this point it seems like he is missing 10 games, and then franchise hardy the following year. its simple
Hardy may stay with the club if he only plays with us for the end of the season/playoffs. Although I'm 90% sure his sentence is reduced to 6 games or less (based on precedent). I think all the clubs that didn't want to take a chance on him for a one year deal, are going to be more wary to sign him to a long contract. I see Jerry talking him into staying.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The franchise price tag is anything but simple.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
The franchise price tag is anything but simple.
last time i checked, you pretty much just say we are franchise tagging you and you get the services of the player for a year. For a defensive end its 14 million, which if we give Dez a big contract and get rid of some dead weight, it would be simple

Carp

DCC 4Life
last time i checked, you pretty much just say we are franchise tagging you and you get the services of the player for a year. For a defensive end its 14 million, which if we give Dez a big contract and get rid of some dead weight, it would be simple
OMGZ...that is anything but simple.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
i know right?! and god forbid we piss off a guy who beats his wife and needs to earn his way back into the NFL. Maybe he will play with even more of a chip on his shoulder to get a monster deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's not forget how Lawrence returned from the broken foot at the end of the year. While I agree you keep talent when you can, but Hardy, should he have a great year, is going to be expensive.
The only way you really let Hardy go without a fight in my opinion is if both Lawrence and Gregory light it up this year. I love both players but odds are it's going to take a little time for Gregory to catch on. Rookie pass rushers generally struggle a little. In which case I think you have to bring Hardy back for one more year.

Cotton

Staff member
Growing Optimism Toward Contract Resolution With CB Scandrick
Sunday, May 17, 2015 3:10 PM CDT

By Rob Phillips

IRVING, Texas – Though no resolution was reached by week’s end, there appears to be growing optimism that the Cowboys and Orlando Scandrick will come to an agreement on a reworked contract.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said last week he was hopeful to work out something “satisfactorily” with Scandrick following a positive meeting with team officials at Valley Ranch. And with news coming down over the weekend that Scandrick is soon set to attend the voluntary strength and conditioning program for the first time this offseason, momentum seems to be building in the right direction for the club and its veteran cornerback.

The Cowboys don’t confirm participants in the voluntary workouts, but Scandrick has been working out on his own in hopes of having his current contract addressed.

Scandrick is due a $1.5 million base salary for 2015, lower than the base salaries of fellow cornerbacks Brandon Carr or Mo Claiborne, though Scandrick received $9 million guaranteed when he signed a two-year extension in 2013 that keeps him under contract through 2018.

Scandrick, a fifth-round pick in 2008, is entering his eighth season as the Cowboys’ longest-tenured defensive player and one of the unit’s leaders.

“Of course we stand strong about what a good player he is, how much we need him, how much he helps us and would like to get something satisfactorily worked out with him,” Jones said last week. “Hopefully we can get something worked out that can be in the best interest of the Cowboys and also accommodate what he needs to do.”

Scandrick’s base salaries are scheduled to be $3 million each in 2016, 2017 and 2018. His base salary last season was $4.5 million.

The Cowboys are currently in Phase Two of the NFL’s voluntary offseason strength and conditioning program, which permits individual on-field instruction from the coaching staff. The offense and defense can work as separate units but not against each other.

Voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) begin the week of May 25-29. The first mandatory team function is the June 16-18 minicamp.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The tag is 15 million this year and going up, franchising Dez was not easy we had to restructure several contracts, which has cap ramifications moving forward.

Next year we are looking at resigning Crawford, a MLB , possibly 2 new CB"s How is that easy to do with a 16 million dollar franchise hit?

Anytime you are restructuring Romo to gain cap room at this time it should not be considered "easy" these things do not happen in a vacuum.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You do realize Crawford and McClain are both due contracts and Romo had to restructure to Franchise Dez, I guess all of that is simple to you.

Probably not but you are way behind on your snark quotient.

Carp

DCC 4Life
You do realize Crawford and McClain are both due contracts and Romo had to restructure to Franchise Dez, I guess all of that is simple to you.

Probably not but you are way behind on your snark quotient.
If you added that to the post it would have been a much better and more informative post.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I believe Hardy has a no franchise tag clause in the contract.

Top Bottom