Archer: Cowboys to hire Michigan defensive backs coach

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know this was covered in another thread, but just in case anyone missed it.

Cowboys to hire Michigan defensive backs coach

2:47 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys will hire University of Michigan coach Greg Jackson for a spot on Jason Garrett's staff in 2016, according to multiple sources.

Jackson will replace Jerome Henderson, who left to become the defensive passing game coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons after a four-year run as the Cowboys' secondary coach last month, and split the job with Joe Baker.

Jackson was the assistant defensive backs coach for Jim Harbaugh for the San Francisco 49ers from 2011-14 and followed Harbaugh to Michigan. He was a third-round pick of the New York Giants in 1989 as a safety and also played for the Philadelphia Eagles (1994-95), New Orleans Saints (1996) and San Diego Chargers (1997-2000). In 168 games (129 starts), he intercepted 32 passes.

Baker had worked with the Cowboys' safeties since 2012 and will now focus on cornerbacks with Jackson working with the safeties.

Baker has been an NFL assistant for 20 years and joined the Cowboys after a three-year run with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as defensive backs and linebackers coach.

The Cowboys interviewed a number of candidates for the job, including former University of Miami coach Al Golden, Tennessee Titans defensive backs coach Steve Brown, San Diego Chargers linebackers coach Mike Nolan, 49ers defensive backs coach Tim Lewis and Buccaneers defensive backs coach Gil Byrd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the hire. Did a good job at Michigan. He worked on a defense with the 49ers that got a lot out of DBs that had bounced around the league. Plus he coached with Harbaugh who is excellent at what he does.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm not happy about this. Beating Ohio State takes precedence over everything else, so losing a great DB coach, even to my pro team, stings. He's a great hire and should help the defensive backfield tremendously, but it's a sizable loss to Michigan.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not happy about this. Beating Ohio State takes precedence over everything else, so losing a great DB coach, even to my pro team, stings. He's a great hire and should help the defensive backfield tremendously, but it's a sizable loss to Michigan.
Maybe he will be a misfit here and then return back to you.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hey, fuckface, take one for the team.

Cotton

Staff member
Hey, fuck you, Tech fan. Your program has no historical significance. Mine does.
:lol

Okay. I was just joking around, but apparently you are all serious and stuff. Carry on.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
:lol

Okay. I was just joking around, but apparently you are all serious and stuff. Carry on.
I was, too. Damn sarcasm doesn't always work in a digital medium. :sad

Cotton

Staff member
:towel

Top Bottom