2013 College Football chatter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I doubt it'll happen, but I'd love to see Texas hire Saban just to watch the Bama fans reactions.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is a good sign.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mack Brown, Texas deny report that coach is stepping down
Posted on December 10, 2013 | By Chron Sports

Mack Brown and the University of Texas have denied reports that Brown is stepping down after 16 years as the Longhorns coach.

“We continue to discuss the future of Texas football,” UT athletic director Steve Patterson said in a statement. “Mack Brown has not resigned. And no decisions have been made.”

The news of Brown’s resignation was reported by Chip Brown.

“I’m in Florida recruiting,” Brown told Texas.247sports.com. “If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn’t be killing myself down here. I have not decided to step down.”

Mike Finger reported the same thing on Twitter: “Brown is on a previously scheduled recruiting trip. UT officials denying report that he’s said he’s stepping down.”

Brown met with Patterson in New York City this past week.

The Longhorns finished this season 8-4 and will play Oregon in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 30.

Texas had a chance to win the Big 12 title on Saturday, but they lost 30-10 to Baylor.

Brown is 158-47 at Texas. That includes a 13-0 season and a national title in 2005.

He has the second-most wins at UT behind legendary coach Darrell Royal (167).

Brown had at least nine wins in his first 12 seasons at Texas and at least 10 wins in nine consecutive seasons.

The Longhorns have gone 5-7, 8-5, 9-4 and 8-4 in the last four seasons, however.

Brown came to the University of Texas after a 10-year stint at North Carolina and a three-year run at Tulane.

Brown, 62, is 238-116-1 in his career.

Cotton

Staff member
New Texas athletic director Steve Patterson: 'Mack Brown has not resigned'
Staff Reports
Published: 10 December 2013 01:22 PM
Updated: 10 December 2013 05:04 PM

Mack Brown will step down as coach of the Texas Longhorns, according to an OrangeBloods.com report, but several sources -- including Brown -- deny the report.

"I'm in Florida recruiting. If I had decided to step down, I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here," according to a 247sports.com report. "I have not decided to step down."

CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman reports, per sources, that Brown has coached his last game at Texas.
The OrangeBloods.com report also states that the Texas football banquet, set for Friday, will celebrate the 2013 team and Brown.

New Texas athletic director Steve Patterson released a statement Tuesday afternoon, saying "We continue to discuss the future of Texas Football. Mack Brown has not resigned... no decisions have been made."

The Austin American-Statesman reports a source has said Brown "has not told anyone that he's stepping down." The report quotes athletic director DeLoss Dodds saying, "I was with Mack last night, and he has not told me anything."

Yahoo! Sports reports that Brown has requested a meeting next week in Austin with Patterson and current UT president Bill Powers.

Brown’s attorney, Joe Jamail, told The Associated Press on Tuesday: “Mack Brown has not resigned.” He says Brown’s future with Texas is still up to the coach.

Patterson had a positive and productive meeting with Brown on Sunday, a source told SportsDay's Chuck Carlton, but Powers’ placement on a Board of Regents meeting’s agenda later in the week created "an element of uncertainty," a source told Carlton.

Brown compiled a 158-47 record in 16 seasons with Texas, winning 10 bowl games, six Big 12 South titles, three conference titles and the 2005 BCS National Championship.

But Brown’s departure marks a rocky end to a 16-year tenure. Brown, 62, had a string of nine straight double-digit-win seasons snapped by an ugly 5-7 campaign in 2010. That year marked the first losing season for Texas under Brown and followed an appearance in the 2009 BCS National Championship game.

Texas had never failed to win at least nine games prior to the 2010 season, but the Longhorns have not reached the 10-win mark since.

Furthermore, Brown and his staff have drawn criticism for missing out on the past two Heisman Trophy winners (Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel), as well as the current frontrunner (Jameis Winston of Florida State).

After a 1-2 start to the season where pundits started picked up their calls for Brown’s job, Texas won six straight games and re-entered the top 25.
Brown took the Longhorns out of a tailspin earlier this season when he dismissed defensive coordinator Manny Diaz in favor of Greg Robinson.

Texas lost two of its final three games — including a 30-10 loss to Baylor on Saturday— to reinvigorate rumors swirling about the longtime Longhorns coach.

Baylor won the Big 12 for the first time in school history thanks to its victory against Texas. The Longhorns would have won the conference had they topped the Bears.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Cotton

Staff member
It's being reported on national news now. He's not stepping down. :lol

D

Deuce

So now I'm reading he'll resign by the end of the week. Then, there's this from a TCU beat writer.

@FollowtheFrogs: Source close to Texas executive council of regents says Nick Saban will be next Longhorns coach.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I want Saban to leave just to see Bammer fans lose their minds and commit mass suicide

:va

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
ESPN is now reporting that Mack is going to resign after all.

:towel

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If Saban jumped to Texas I wonder what Bama would do to replace him Malzahn?

Cotton

Staff member
This is like watching the media talk about whether Favruh will retire or not.

D

Deuce

In the "News Nobody Cares About Other Than a Few People Here" category: Baker Mayfield is planning to transfer from Texas Tech.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I want Saban to leave just to see Bammer fans lose their minds and commit mass suicide

:va
Same here, I have a neighbor who is a bama alum and I've been rubbing in their loss to Auburn since it happened. If Saban leaves he may have to move

Cotton

Staff member
Ace, welcome your new coach to town...

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Mack Brown Prepares His Resignation Letter

[ROUGH DRAFT]

First, I'd like to thank the finest fans in America for supporting me. I always called the home crowd at DKR the taxman: you put in four quarters, and they showed up for two and left without saying thank you.

I'd like to thank Bob Stoops for his rivalry over the years. He gave me six games, and I gave him nine, and that puts me three under on the day. If this is golf I'd be winning, Bob! But this is life, where I'll be getting paid more in a retirement year than you'll make in ten. When they ask you if dinosaurs were the devil's house pets, have fun realizing you gave your children Oklahoma educations on purpose. I hope Alabama knocks your butthole sideways and makes you shit pappardelle noodles.

I'd like to thank Mike Gundy for his competition over the years. He's a fine young man who's chosen to spend his life in Stillwater riding out frack-quakes and bumping his head on a 10-2 ceiling. He won't regret that, or living in a mansion beneath a flaming natural gas vent. *You tell that atheist oncologist who believes in "science":*It ain't a tumor if you've got the right attitude about it.

(It is amazing what T. Boone Pickens has done with that program. He spent millions of dollars to win one meaningless Fiesta Bowl. West Virginia did the same thing with cup holder change and a copy of Lowrider Magazine, so you tell me which one's the hillbilly rube.)

A letter of thanks will be sent to Lubbock. Without digital communication or phone lines, it should get there in one to two weeks, provided the horses don't freeze to death or get eaten by the Dust Creature of Abilene. They do an amazing job out there, mostly by simply keeping the players from being skeletonized by the horseflies. When that letter arrives they'll see how much I respect their sportsmanship over the years, provided they find someone to read it for them and recognize the petrified hand of Buddy Holly I'm returning to their possession. That belongs in a museum, Lubbock, but since I'm sending it to you just put it in the glass dessert case at Texas Roadhouse in the meantime. (P.S. Don't get it wet.)

I can admit this now: I've missed the Texas A&M rivalry. It's not often you can find an opportunity to beat the hell out of another man in his own house without searching on Craigslist for hours. But I'm sincerely happy for your success Aggies. We always did have something in common, and that's losing games thanks to Case McCoy.

To be honest, we only brought TCU into the conference so DeLoss and I could settle a bet on how Gary Patterson keeps his pants up. Turns out that's just body paint, so DeLoss won. I owe him a country now, so goodbye summer home. Belize. Whatever.

Congratulations, Baylor. You finally managed to embrace Art that isn't in Reader's Digest or an Amy Grant cassette. Your big moment was removing a tarp, but that makes sense given that most of your graduates go on to work part-time tenting for termites. I'm sending a copy of The Golden Compass to all your kids to let them know that talking polar bears are real and God isn't. Hail to the Redskins.

Iowa State! What can I say about you that hasn't been said about Iowa State?

Y'all know Bill Snyder only takes juco transfers because he was born before the SAT was invented, right? That's the Sumerian Aptitude Test: catching a goat with your bare hands, looking in his eye to make sure he's not an Uttuku or evil demon/spirit, and then carrying him back to your house in under six hours while being chased by wolves. It's the same as the Kansas high school competency test, but then again Bill's always gone where he feels comfortable. That's why he sleeps in a giant urn of ancient honey each night, breathing through a reed from the banks of the Euphrates itself. Feel his amazingly soft skin, and you'll believe every word I just said.

To hell with Nebraska. You pick up a pair of rescue dogs like the Pelinis and everyone in the kennel's gonna get worms. Frank Solich was too good for y'all. Oh, but Mack, Frank Solich really isn't that good, you say. Well. I just took you to the beach. You see the ocean for yourself when you're good and ready, sweetie.

Oh, and to hell with Colorado. I don't remember much about you. Then again, neither do you on any given day, and that's what makes you special.

The Kansas Jay-what? Can't say I'm familiar with his work, though I do still love that Beyonce.*To hell with Missouri, too, though I appreciate how many graduates their fine journalism program has placed in TGI Friday's. Nothing like having your order taken in AP Style!

And screw you media types, too. Whinin' about how Longhorn Network's a whole channel with only one football team but never saying a word about the Big Ten Network, which has zero. You complain about me blaming my assistants, but Greg Robinson was an improvement over Manny Diaz. I can't say anything worse about someone than that. You go on and try. I can't, and I watched Greg Robinson fight with a three ringed binder like it was a giant clam for fifteen minutes this morning.

Finally, I'd like to close with a message to the fans, taken from a letter Charlotte Bronte sent to Emily Dickinson.

(puts on reading glasses)

(clears throat)

"I got a ring and you don't, trick."

Hook 'em,

Mack Brown

P.S. Dear god I'm so incredibly wealthy.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Mack Brown Prepares His Resignation Letter

[ROUGH DRAFT]
(puts on reading glasses)

(clears throat)

"I got a ring and you don't, trick."

Hook 'em,

Mack Brown

P.S. Dear god I'm so incredibly wealthy.
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom