Cowboys could pursue Foles after Kellen Moore suffers broken ankle

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
McCown is probably one of the 10 best backups in the league, from a pure talent standpoint I'd be happy to have him, happier than I'd be with Foles. With that said, trading anything more than maybe a conditional 6th or 7th for a QB even older than Romo is a real indictment on this organization's narrow mindedness when it comes to the QB position.

You don't want to pay 5+ million a year for a good backup? You don't want to give up picks?

You better be proactive and forward thinking in either the draft or free agency and they've been neither.

The Patriots drafted Garropolo at the end of the 2nd 3 drafts ago and it took us about 4 straight years of Romo injuries to finally draft a QB?

If you don't want to pay the price in terms of money or in a trade then you better be consistent about drafting and developing QB's.

Of course this organization has done neither so here we are.

At the end of the day, if we have to give up resources I'd rather it be for Glennon who is at least young but on the flip side I don't really want us to give up enough resources to the point where we feel like he's our future after Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point I think the smart move is to sign an additional arm for camp and just go with Dak and Showers. Moore should be back in time for the playoffs!
It's sad but I don't see the point on giving up resources for a QB who is likely going to get us zero additional wins simply because he is better then Dak at this point in his career. If neither is good enough to win games in Dallas, then you're just dumping resources down the drain for no reason. Might as well just sign Vick and hope he can run around for a game or two if needed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys look elsewhere in backup QB pursuit
With Nick Foles agreeing to a deal with Kansas City, Ed Werder says Dallas is interested in Cleveland's Josh McCown. (1:25)

10:58 AM CT
Todd Archer

OXNARD, Calif. -- Now that the Dallas Cowboys have missed out on acquiring quarterback Nick Foles, they have turned their attention to Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Like Foles, who agreed to a contract with the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday, McCown has been on the Cowboys' radar for some time.

The Cowboys' need for a backup quarterback behind Tony Romo became a priority when Kellen Moore suffered a fractured right fibula in Tuesday's practice. Executive vice president Stephen Jones said Wednesday the Cowboys' first priority is to make the right move, and the second is to do it expeditiously.

While in need, the Cowboys do not want to hurt their future by parting with valuable draft picks or specific players.

McCown is 37 and set to make $4.375 million this year. He is scheduled to make $3.625 million next year with a $750,000 roster bonus due in a March. The Browns are leaning toward Robert Griffin III as their starter, and they have Austin Davis and third-round pick Cody Kessler on their roster.

Behind Romo, the Cowboys have rookie Dak Prescott and Jameill Showers, who spent most of last season on the practice squad playing positions other than quarterback.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If the Browns have 4 QBs, and McCown is almost certainly the odd man out...why not just wait for his inevitable release instead of giving up something in a trade? We can always sign some scrub to eat up 4th team reps in the meantime.

Rayman

Brand New Member
If the Browns have 4 QBs, and McCown is almost certainly the odd man out...why not just wait for his inevitable release instead of giving up something in a trade? We can always sign some scrub to eat up 4th team reps in the meantime.
Also, the Chiefs and Jets both have 4 QBs. Someone decent is bound to be cut.

Rayman

Brand New Member
Decent? Bray, Murray and Petty are barely that, if at all.
Of those I would take Murray but yeah. Unless we are giving someone a 5th or 6th round pick it's all we can hope for. I would have signed Foles but he may have known all along that he wanted to end up back with Reid unless a starting job opened up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Dallas lands McCown out of this then they got really lucky by accident.

dallen

Senior Tech
If Dallas lands McCown out of this then they got really lucky by accident.
If he gets cut and we pick him up, sure. If we trade picks for him I don't think so. I guess maybe if we can get him for a 2018 7th or some kind of conditional pick

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he gets cut and we pick him up, sure. If we trade picks for him I don't think so. I guess maybe if we can get him for a 2018 7th or some kind of conditional pick
If it's conditional I want the condition to be that he actually starts and wins mutiple games. If that happens I'm ok giving up a pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it's conditional I want the condition to be that he actually starts and wins mutiple games. If that happens I'm ok giving up a pick.

dallen

Senior Tech
That's kind of what I was thinking. If it is 7th rounder that could become a 5th rounder if he starts more than 3 games then I could see it maybe. But I wouldn't give him up for that if I was Cleveland

DLK150

DCC 4Life
No to both McCown and Vick, especially Vick. Roll with what we have and let the chips fall where they may.

Top Bottom