Schefter asked two NFL people about Prescott

Jiggyfly

Banned
Adam Schefter: I spoke to a couple of different people this week, who, when they'd heard all this Dak Prescott conversation, went and looked at the film of the guy. They were blown away at the decisions he was making, the skills he demonstrated, looking downfield, playing like a veteran. You could say, "It's preseason." That's what I said. I talked to a couple of people and asked, "What do you think? Is this overblown? Are we getting too excited over a guy after two preseason games?" And they went and looked at the film and said, "This guy has got it. He's got it. They've found their quarterback of the future." If they did hit on that pick the way that other highly intelligent people think they hit on the pick, they're set for the next 12-15 years.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I think this is overblown, but it gives us a lot of room for optimism. This play gives us the opportunity NOT to reach on a quarterback in the draft next season, but we should still bring in another QB in rounds 2-4 next season in order to give a legit competition.

We at least have a QB we can groom for the next few years. This also gives a 4th round rookie a sense of confidence right from the jump, which IMO is huge. A lot of QB's coming in the first couple rounds lack the self esteem to be a leader, and it looks like Prescott can lead a team - which was one of his greatest traits in college.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Adam Schefter: I spoke to a couple of different people this week, who, when they'd heard all this Dak Prescott conversation, went and looked at the film of the guy. They were blown away at the decisions he was making, the skills he demonstrated, looking downfield, playing like a veteran. You could say, "It's preseason." That's what I said. I talked to a couple of people and asked, "What do you think? Is this overblown? Are we getting too excited over a guy after two preseason games?" And they went and looked at the film and said, "This guy has got it. He's got it. They've found their quarterback of the future." If they did hit on that pick the way that other highly intelligent people think they hit on the pick, they're set for the next 12-15 years.
I get the vanilla defense argument but Prescott is doing things that few other QBs are doing in preseason at all. That includes the starting NFL QBs. Additionally ball placement on throws has nothing to do with defense. It's a skill that Prescott has demonstrated at an elite level so far in preseason.

It's not like the guy has proven to be a stud NFL starter but I think there is plenty of reason to believe we found a guy who legitimately belongs in the NFL. Which is something some NFL teams don't have anywhere on their roster.

Last edited:

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Not quite dissenting when he finishes the article say Prescott appears to be the real deal.
he penned two paragraphs basically insinuating that Prescott's faced bad secondaries and was lucky to land with a team loaded with weapons. that's more of a qualified endorsement.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
was lucky to land with a team loaded with weapons. that's more of a qualified endorsement.
This is sort of that chicken and egg theory. But it's not like Prescott was playing with elite players out there. He had our swing tackle starting at LT. He was completing bombs to Butler and he was handing the ball off to our backup RB. I guess someone could argue Romo isn't any good that it is the O-line and Dez and Witten but we all saw what happened last year without Romo. So as good as those pieces are, it still takes a QB to make it work.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
This is sort of that chicken and egg theory. But it's not like Prescott was playing with elite players out there. He had our swing tackle starting at LT. He was completing bombs to Butler and he was handing the ball off to our backup RB. I guess someone could argue Romo isn't any good that it is the O-line and Dez and Witten but we all saw what happened last year without Romo. So as good as those pieces are, it still takes a QB to make it work.
they are always going to have that argument - "the emmitt smith is only good because of his offensive line" shpeel. Lets be honest though, Mississippi State didn't have unbelievable talent on their roster last year and he was pretty good.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Right now we are making the Eagles look really, really bad. And the results were plain in the talent-leveled Sr. Bowl for all to see.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I try not to overthink these things. He passes the eye test and even though it's "only" preseason against defenses that aren't scheming against him heavily only a fool would dismiss his performance as being nothing of significance.

As has been pointed out numerous times, even though it's "only" preseason against bland defenses, how come other young QBs aren't shredding these same bland defenses? If this were Goff or Wentz there would much less pessimism about the importance of his performances.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Great points. And even going back over the last few years with these same weapons on hand, I can't remember a backup QB on the Cowboys roster putting together consecutive outstanding performances.

As an aside, I was watching one of the NFL shows this morning and one of the yahoos on there actually said they still think Dallas will look to bring in a veteran QB because history says the Cowboys prefer to have a veteran at backup QB.

Seems ludicrous to me. All experience isn't good experience. Guys like EJ Manual and Brian Hoyer have experience.....doesn't mean you want them starting a game of significance for you.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think this is overblown, but it gives us a lot of room for optimism. This play gives us the opportunity NOT to reach on a quarterback in the draft next season, but we should still bring in another QB in rounds 2-4 next season in order to give a legit competition.

We at least have a QB we can groom for the next few years. This also gives a 4th round rookie a sense of confidence right from the jump, which IMO is huge. A lot of QB's coming in the first couple rounds lack the self esteem to be a leader, and it looks like Prescott can lead a team - which was one of his greatest traits in college.
I actually wouldn't feel compelled to bring in another QB from that range given Prescott's performance unless he was someone I really really liked. Conversely I'd be just as interested in selecting a top 5 QB or trading up to get one if the opportunity presented itself, absent more proof that Prescott is a future pro bowler.

hstour

Brand New Member
The problem with the "vanilla defense not scheming for him" argument assumes that Linehan isn't scheming for the defense being faced.

It is a two way street.

I'm not getting crowning him yet, but let's at least look at it both ways.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Great points. And even going back over the last few years with these same weapons on hand, I can't remember a backup QB on the Cowboys roster putting together consecutive outstanding performances.

As an aside, I was watching one of the NFL shows this morning and one of the yahoos on there actually said they still think Dallas will look to bring in a veteran QB because history says the Cowboys prefer to have a veteran at backup QB.

Seems ludicrous to me. All experience isn't good experience. Guys like EJ Manual and Brian Hoyer have experience.....doesn't mean you want them starting a game of significance for you.
There is no way, absolutely no way Jones brings in a vet at this point. And frankly, it would be pointless. If/when Romo gets hurt, we need to know if Dak is legit or if we need to jump back in the draft pool next year.

I cannot see Jones paying a mediocre, hype-killing progress-stopper.

townsend

Banned
To me, at this point, Prescott's like a first round pick. He may not pan out, but he's demonstrated all the potential to be a starter in this league. I'd be hesitant at this point to trade him for any other QB taken in 2016.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Prescott is miles better than I thought he would be. I did not have high expectations at all, but I think part of that was just based on the offense he ran at Miss St...it was hard to get a read on how he would translate to the NFL.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse here, but if Jaylon Smith returns to health...and Prescott and Elliot are as good as they have looked, well we are talking about an alltimer of a draft.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that we bring in a veteran unless Romo is out. I also don't think that vet would come in to start, either. They have been all over Dak from the moment he worked out for them. They are going to give him every opportunity to say "look at what I did".

Carp

DCC 4Life
As for pointing out that Dallas has been enamored with having a vet QB in there...I think the track record there has given the front office plenty of reasons to go with a young guy. Brad Johnson, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassell all were less than productive.

Top Bottom