Video Game Chatter

junk

Not So New Member
So has anyone played No Mans Sky
Yes, I have. I don't get a long time to play video games, so I've really only dabbled. Got off my first planet explored one other, made my first hyperspace jump and then landed on a planet that is filled with gold, emeril and plutonium. No animals and the Sentinels don't care if I rape the natural resources of their planet, so I've been hanging out there building up credits and trying to max out my inventory slots.

High level review - it is kind of addicting, but it is really just a resource gathering game. So, it is kind of a grind. You need resources for everything. To launch your ship off the surface, you need plutonium. You need resources for your life support and your mining tool. Resources for your hyperdrive and your weapons. So, you gather to survive and gather to sell things for more credits. You can meet some aliens and learn their language, but there isn't much there.

I feel like they built an amazing platform for a great, great game, but don't have all the features there yet. If you could build bases/buildings, it would be really neat. More of a multiplayer universe where you could trade, plunder, etc. would be good. Being able to build something to get around on planets besides on foot or flying your spaceship would be handy. Being able to build unique ships would be cool. I do think the DLC in the future could really make it something special.

It is a very broad game, but not very deep. I got a pre-order deal from Amazon so I got it for like $47. It is worth that. I'll put several hours into it before I get bored I think.

I don't think it lives up to its crazy hype though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I have. I don't get a long time to play video games, so I've really only dabbled. Got off my first planet explored one other, made my first hyperspace jump and then landed on a planet that is filled with gold, emeril and plutonium. No animals and the Sentinels don't care if I rape the natural resources of their planet, so I've been hanging out there building up credits and trying to max out my inventory slots.

High level review - it is kind of addicting, but it is really just a resource gathering game. So, it is kind of a grind. You need resources for everything. To launch your ship off the surface, you need plutonium. You need resources for your life support and your mining tool. Resources for your hyperdrive and your weapons. So, you gather to survive and gather to sell things for more credits. You can meet some aliens and learn their language, but there isn't much there.

I feel like they built an amazing platform for a great, great game, but don't have all the features there yet. If you could build bases/buildings, it would be really neat. More of a multiplayer universe where you could trade, plunder, etc. would be good. Being able to build something to get around on planets besides on foot or flying your spaceship would be handy. Being able to build unique ships would be cool. I do think the DLC in the future could really make it something special.

It is a very broad game, but not very deep. I got a pre-order deal from Amazon so I got it for like $47. It is worth that. I'll put several hours into it before I get bored I think.

Thank you! I'm debating giving it a try. I've sort of been in a video game dry spell lately.

D

Deuce

This is pretty much what I expected which is why I view it more as a 2-3 day rental than a buy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've got a couple games under my belt with the new Madden. This version feels completely different to me. Probably because as I mentioned the other day, the last version of Madden that I played was the one that came out in 2013. And that was the PS3 version at that.

So far I'm enjoying it. I'm playing on All Pro and I'm still trying to get used to the running game. Seems like it's a lot harder to peel off 20 yard runs that it was in the past. Which is the way it should be, IMO.

Also, I've noticed that the players playing ability seems to be a little more in tune with their actual ratings. For instance, I struggle to make tough catches in traffic with Cole Beasley and Terrence Williams but Dez will pull in those tightly contested passes with more frequency.

Another small thing that I like about this version is the new commentating system. I don't know if this was in previous PS4 versions of Madden but these new guys actually reference stuff that happened in real life. For example, during one of my games that talked about Dez hauling in a 10 yard TD catch in the first preseason game and they even talked about Romo sitting out the first preseason game. They also went outside the sport and talked about Phelps winning the 200M gold at the Olympics. Very nice touch that adds to the realism/presentation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you haven't beaten the Witcher 3 then stop reading this and do that immediately.
Yeah I know, I'd never played Fallout before and upon your recommendation I played the shit out of it. Witcher 3 probably is my best bet for a game I could really get in to.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You say that every year.
And yet I never get it. :lol

But this year I am getting it. I ordered it off of Amazon so it should be here tomorrow.

If it's no different than all the other Madden's I played before, then I'll just trade it in and use the credit on the new Modern Warfare remaster.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I've got a couple games under my belt with the new Madden. This version feels completely different to me. Probably because as I mentioned the other day, the last version of Madden that I played was the one that came out in 2013. And that was the PS3 version at that.

So far I'm enjoying it. I'm playing on All Pro and I'm still trying to get used to the running game. Seems like it's a lot harder to peel off 20 yard runs that it was in the past. Which is the way it should be, IMO.

Also, I've noticed that the players playing ability seems to be a little more in tune with their actual ratings. For instance, I struggle to make tough catches in traffic with Cole Beasley and Terrence Williams but Dez will pull in those tightly contested passes with more frequency.

Another small thing that I like about this version is the new commentating system. I don't know if this was in previous PS4 versions of Madden but these new guys actually reference stuff that happened in real life. For example, during one of my games that talked about Dez hauling in a 10 yard TD catch in the first preseason game and they even talked about Romo sitting out the first preseason game. They also went outside the sport and talked about Phelps winning the 200M gold at the Olympics. Very nice touch that adds to the realism/presentation.
The commentary is being widely praised for how good it is.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
But this was only one sentence. Why would he have kept reading it??
He would have totally missed the "and do that immediately". Then, without proper instruction, it may have taken him days to get around to it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And yet I never get it. :lol

But this year I am getting it. I ordered it off of Amazon so it should be here tomorrow.

If it's no different than all the other Madden's I played before, then I'll just trade it in and use the credit on the new Modern Warfare remaster.
Played it last night. A lot of emphasis on running the ball and STs.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Played it last night. A lot of emphasis on running the ball and STs.
From what I've gathered from the reviews, the positives are that the game actually plays the closest to real football in a long time.

RBs actually feel different. Murray is different from McCoy, Sproles from Peterson, etc.

Defense is actually fun to play and the front 7 play has been greatly improved.

ST matters for the first time ever. Both human and cpu controlled STs make plays and can change a game.

Do you agree with all that?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I suck at running the ball on Madden.
I've always been really good at it.

It's the reason I won most of my games in our old Madden league from 2009. My passing was so average and I needed every bit of my running game to win. :lol

Top Bottom