Must See Movies

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Midnight Special with Michael Shannon.

Just an excellent surprise.

D

Deuce

Funny or Die's The Art of the Deal is on Netflix.

So so funny and Depp was great.

junk

Not So New Member
Boy the Hateful Eight was just horrible. There's almost three hours of my life I can't have back.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Boy the Hateful Eight was just horrible. There's almost three hours of my life I can't have back.
Yeah, it was pretty bad. I was hoping for at least a few laughs, but it didn't even provide that.

junk

Not So New Member
Yeah, it was pretty bad. I was hoping for at least a few laughs, but it didn't even provide that.
I chuckled a few times when Channing Tatum shot Samuel L. Jackson in the balls and then listening to Jackson bitch about it. But overall, it was just a trainwreck.

Cotton

Staff member
I chuckled a few times when Channing Tatum shot Samuel L. Jackson in the balls and then listening to Jackson bitch about it. But overall, it was just a trainwreck.
It was one of the worst movies with names that big that I may have ever seen.

Cotton

Staff member
Okay, just got home from watching Suicide Squad. I was disappointed. The writing was lazily done and the directing could have been better. Good story, I thought, but the writing really hurt it. The one-liners (which makes or breaks a movie like this) was just not very well done. Harley Quinn should have dominated the movie, but she was just kinda okay. Oh well, it was still okay.

dallen

Senior Tech
Okay, just got home from watching Suicide Squad. I was disappointed. The writing was lazily done and the directing could have been better. Good story, I thought, but the writing really hurt it. The one-liners (which makes or breaks a movie like this) was just not very well done. Harley Quinn should have dominated the movie, but she was just kinda okay. Oh well, it was still okay.
I agree. My daughter asked me to take her or I would've waited for it to come out on streaming. It was just a mess of a movie. There was a lot of clunky editing that reinforces the reports of studio interference. I really liked Deadshot, Diablo, and Cpt Boomerang even though, outside of Diable, I don't think they were very well written. It is kind of hard not to like Will Smith and a crazy bogan though. Mostly it felt like a movie that was trying desperately hard to be liked, but desperation isn't all that likable.

This kid pretty much summed up how I felt about it:

Cotton

Staff member
I agree. My daughter asked me to take her or I would've waited for it to come out on streaming. It was just a mess of a movie. There was a lot of clunky editing that reinforces the reports of studio interference. I really liked Deadshot, Diablo, and Cpt Boomerang even though, outside of Diable, I don't think they were very well written. It is kind of hard not to like Will Smith and a crazy bogan though. Mostly it felt like a movie that was trying desperately hard to be liked, but desperation isn't all that likable.

This kid pretty much summed up how I felt about it:

:lol

That was really good. And, it sums it up very well.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I took my daughter and a friend to an all ages concert downtown this weekend. Fortunately I did not have to attend said concert but I did need to stay downtown as a semi-chaperone. Pretty much all there is to do around that area of Austin at night is drink or see live music. I couldn't really drink since I had to drive my daughter and her friend home after the show and there was no band playing I wanted to see at the time. There is an Alamo Drafthouse in the area but it is the smallest one by far with only two theaters. 'Sausage Party' was pretty much my only choice for the time slot I needed. I kind of wanted to see it anyway, but wasn't going to necessarily make it a point to go.

I thought it was fairly entertaining. It worked as a really raunchy take on modern animated films. Personified objects/animals (obviously food in this case) and their secret world is used over and over again in big budget animated movies aimed at kids but this was aimed squarely at the adult market. It is very crude and not for everyone. They also go over the top with racial/ethnic stereotype to try and make a point of how silly it is that we all just can't get along. Another major theme is how incredulous the people behind the movie (Seth Rogan and his bro gang) are that so many people buy into what they consider to be the obvious myth of the organized religions.

Like I said, not for everyone. It definitely had its moments. Was pretty funny at times and had a fast pace to it overall. Was also a bit much too at times with the same sort of vulgarity and drug/sex humor we have come to expect from Rogan and his overgrown adolescent bros. Worth checking out if you like some of their other projects though. The concept was pretty cool, the animation was neat...the execution was hit and miss.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

I took my daughter and a friend to an all ages concert downtown this weekend. Fortunately I did not have to attend said concert but I did need to stay downtown as a semi-chaperone. Pretty much all there is to do around that area of Austin at night is drink or see live music. I couldn't really drink since I had to drive my daughter and her friend home after the show and there was no band playing I wanted to see at the time. There is an Alamo Drafthouse in the area but it is the smallest one by far with only two theaters. 'Sausage Party' was pretty much my only choice for the time slot I needed. I kind of wanted to see it anyway, but wasn't going to necessarily make it a point to go.

I thought it was fairly entertaining. It worked as a really raunchy take on modern animated films. Personified objects/animals (obviously food in this case) and their secret world is used over and over again in big budget animated movies aimed at kids but this was aimed squarely at the adult market. It is very crude and not for everyone. They also go over the top with racial/ethnic stereotype to try and make a point of how silly it is that we all just can't get along. Another major theme is how incredulous the people behind the movie (Seth Rogan and his bro gang) are that so many people buy into what they consider to be the obvious myth of the organized religions.

Like I said, not for everyone. It definitely had its moments. Was pretty funny at times and had a fast pace to it overall. Was also a bit much too at times with the same sort of vulgarity and drug/sex humor we have come to expect from Rogan and his overgrown adolescent bros. Worth checking out if you like some of their other projects though. The concept was pretty cool, the animation was neat...the execution was hit and miss.
That's about as glowing a recommendation for that movie as I could have expected. I plan to see it eventually.

dallen

Senior Tech

Skimming over this post I though it was going to be a story about taking your daughter and her friend to see Sausage Party

Cotton

Staff member

They sell the Sausage Party books at Alamo Drafthouse in the other theaters. I bought one from our server for no other reason than to embarrass my wife. It worked, and I got hit for it. :lol

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Skimming over this post I though it was going to be a story about taking your daughter and her friend to see Sausage Party
:lol

That would have been uncomfortable. She just turned 15 so she could definitely handle it but I wouldn't want to watch it with her.

Top Bottom