MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Safe by a nose!

I'll see myself out.

D

Deuce

Just another example of his attention seeking ways. He has been out of the spotlight for far too long. At least Jordan did it while he was already excelling at a high level in another sport.
Or maybe he actually thinks he has a shot and knows it's his last chance at athletics before he is doomed to a life of Analyst/Guest Speaker roles the rest of his life.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Just another example of his attention seeking ways. He has been out of the spotlight for far too long. At least Jordan did it while he was already excelling at a high level in another sport.
I don't think he is an attention whore...he is just naïve to think he could do this.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Or maybe he actually thinks he has a shot and knows it's his last chance at athletics before he is doomed to a life of Analyst/Guest Speaker roles the rest of his life.
If he thinks he actually has a shot to play at the MLB level he is out of touch with reality and/or has a lot of people around him who are afraid to tell him he has no chance. Again, no harm in giving it a shot and maybe he'll even will get signed to play Low A ball with the likes of a Quad Cities River Bandits or Greensboro Grasshoppers merely for the attendance boost, but that is as far as it is ever going to go.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

If he thinks he actually has a shot to play at the MLB level he is out of touch with reality and/or has a lot of people around him who are afraid to tell him he has no chance. Again, no harm in giving it a shot and maybe he'll even will get signed to play Low A ball with the likes of a Quad Cities River Bandits or Greensboro Grasshoppers merely for the attendance boost, but that is as far as it is ever going to go.
I expect him to get signed because it's Tebow and he'll draw for some A or AA ball team for a little while and I agree, I'm sure that's as far as it goes. I can't imagine dropping a game for 10 years and then just picking it back up and competing at a high level. I'm just curious where he will play and how he looks. He was a solid player in HS and could have played in college, so he has skill. Just a matter of if any of it will come back at this point.

Cotton

Staff member
If he just wanted to play sports, he could have gone to the CFL and played football, or changed positions to have a shot in the NFL. I'm not buying it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Good one. I like that we can have a back and forth without getting heated.

*Adds freesetriple11.gif to Photobucket*

:lol

:flip

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I expect him to get signed because it's Tebow and he'll draw for some A or AA ball team for a little while and I agree, I'm sure that's as far as it goes. I can't imagine dropping a game for 10 years and then just picking it back up and competing at a high level. I'm just curious where he will play and how he looks. He was a solid player in HS and could have played in college, so he has skill. Just a matter of if any of it will come back at this point.
I expect he'll look something like this:

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think he is an attention whore...he is just naïve to think he could do this.
If that's the case, then he is either extremely naive or is being misguided by his support system.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If that's the case, then he is either extremely naive or is being misguided by his support system.
Read some of the articles in regards to this...he has plenty of people telling him he can make it.

Cotton

Staff member
Read some of the articles in regards to this...he has plenty of people telling him he can make it.
Hell, maybe he can. I've never seen him play, so I'm assuming a lot, but logic would tell one that he doesn't have a snowball's chance.

D

Deuce

Hell, maybe he can. I've never seen him play, so I'm assuming a lot, but logic would tell one that he doesn't have a snowball's chance.
I hope he turns out to be the player you all thought Joey Gallo would become.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
"In reaction to the news, the Schaumburg Boomers, an Illinois-based minor league team in the independent Frontier League, announced Tuesday that they have offered a Tebow a contract."

This is about right. It is below Low A or even instructional leagues because, though they are a technically a pro team, they have no MLB affiliation. This is the type of league where Tebow in all likelihood could play and possibly even play well given enough time to hone his skills. His MLB dreams are so pie in the sky it isn't even funny though.

D

Deuce

"In reaction to the news, the Schaumburg Boomers, an Illinois-based minor league team in the independent Frontier League, announced Tuesday that they have offered a Tebow a contract."

This is about right. It is below Low A or even instructional leagues because, though they are a technically a pro team, they have no MLB affiliation. This is the type of league where Tebow in all likelihood could play and possibly even play well given enough time to hone his skills. His MLB dreams are so pie in the sky it isn't even funny though.
I think an MLB team will offer him a minor league deal. Hell, Jordan was out of baseball much longer and went straight to AA. He's going to get a shot. It'll be a publicity stunt on the teams part and anything he can provide on the field will be icing on the cake. But he won't be playing in some shitty independent league.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I got to witness a little history last night at the ballpark. SF Giant Brandon Crawford had 7 hits last night. I only hung around until the 10th inning so I didn't see all of the hits but I thought it was pretty neat that a small bit of sports history was made at a game that I attended.

Nothing out of the ordinary has ever happened at any of the other games I've attended. In any sport.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I got to witness a little history last night at the ballpark. SF Giant Brandon Crawford had 7 hits last night. I only hung around until the 10th inning so I didn't see all of the hits but I thought it was pretty neat that a small bit of sports history was made at I game that I attended.

Nothing out of ordinary has ever happened at any of the other games I've attended. In any sport.
This got me thinking about out of the ordinary things that have happened at pro sporting events I have been to. Nothing really stands out in my memory as far as on the field achievements but there have been a few kind of out of the ordinary things that I have seen at baseball games:

• 1995– a fan ran onto the field at Wrigley because he was pissed at Randy Myers for giving up a late inning HR. The guy made it to the mound before anyone realized what was happening and Myers immediately dropped him with a forearm and pinned him to the ground.

• 1996– Sammy Sosa hit a game winning HR that smashed a window in the building across Waveland Avenue behind the left field bleachers

• 1999– at the Astrodome Astros manager Larry Dierker fell into a fit of seizures and had to be taken away in an ambulance.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So looks like Fielder is done for his career. Hate to see injury be the cause but the good news is that we had insurance. Only owe him 9 million a year until 2020 instead of the 20 million for a .200 hitter with very little pop. I understand the philosophy behind the trade and we needed it. We just got the wrong player.

Also he finishes with 319 career homeruns which is the exact amount his dad finished with.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This got me thinking about out of the ordinary things that have happened at pro sporting events I have been to. Nothing really stands out in my memory as far as on the field achievements but there have been a few kind of out of the ordinary things that I have seen at baseball games:

• 1995– a fan ran onto the field at Wrigley because he was pissed at Randy Myers for giving up a late inning HR. The guy made it to the mound before anyone realized what was happening and Myers immediately dropped him with a forearm and pinned him to the ground.

• 1996– Sammy Sosa hit a game winning HR that smashed a window in the building across Waveland Avenue behind the left field bleachers

• 1999– at the Astrodome Astros manager Larry Dierker fell into a fit of seizures and had to be taken away in an ambulance.
That's a pretty decent list compared to mine. Aside from last night I think my in-stadium "highlight" was watching Greg Maddux throw a 4 hit shutout back in the late 90s. But Maddux did that all the time back then so it was no big deal.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
I haven't been to a pro baseball game since I was a kid, but the biggest one was Kenny Rogers's perfect game in 1994. Dad had tickets for him, me and my brother, but he got sick last minute and my uncle took us instead. We didn't let him forget that either.

Top Bottom