2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

townsend

Banned
What does this matter? Seriously. The default retort here is always, "But the other side is bad, too!"

Ronald Reagan is dead.
I think there's fair criticism in here. But also it's true that Hillary is being held to a different standard than other politicians. Specifically W, who had his own email server, and who wasn't nearly as thoroughly criticized for the 2001 Sept 11 attacks as Clinton was for the 2012 Sept 11 attack. So it's hard to separate legitimate criticism from the partisan political witch hunt that led up to the discovery.

Has Hillary fucked up? Absolutely. Does it disqualify her for office? No.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think there's fair criticism in here. But also it's true that Hillary is being held to a different standard than other politicians. Specifically W, who had his own email server, and who wasn't nearly as thoroughly criticized for the 2001 Sept 11 attacks as Clinton was for the 2012 Sept 11 attack. So it's hard to separate legitimate criticism from the partisan political witch hunt that led up to the discovery.

If this turned out to be a felony then yes it will disqualify her for office.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Says the guy who thinks this whole flap about the judge is some kind of smart strategic maneuvering.

There is nothing sillier than that.:lol
Says the guy who can't comprehend a simple concept.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wish there were a way to hide this thread from showing up on my new posts feed.
It gets frustrating for me as well. I am Jiggy' s favorite troll candidate. I thinking full ignore is finally in order.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It should...

The defense that other politicians have done it is very weak and you know it. Wrong is wrong, it doesn't make it better that someone else has done something wrong too. The stuff with Hill is already coming out in waves.

townsend

Banned
It should...

The defense that other politicians have done it is very weak and you know it. Wrong is wrong, it doesn't make it better that someone else has done something wrong too. The stuff with Hill is already coming out in waves.
I think the question is whether we're capriciously changing the standard by which we judge these sort of actions, based on who's done them. Obviously I know you aren't a Bush fan, but he didn't have to spend a gagilliom hearings going through Whitewater: 2 Electric Boogaloo, now, because Republicans want to tank her campaign, they're holding her to a different standard and creating another witch hunt.

We've saw Ken (leave no stone unturned unless it's Baylor Football) Starr spend 8 years throwing shit at the wall trying to get her during her husband's administration, so personally, I take most of this stuff with a grain of salt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think the question is whether we're capriciously changing the standard by which we judge these sort of actions, based on who's done them. Obviously I know you aren't a Bush fan, but he didn't have to spend a gagilliom hearings going through Whitewater: 2 Electric Boogaloo, now, because Republicans want to tank her campaign, they're holding her to a different standard and creating another witch hunt.

We've saw Ken (leave no stone unturned unless it's Baylor Football) Starr spend 8 years throwing shit at the wall trying to get her during her husband's administration, so personally, I take most of this stuff with a grain of salt.
Memory serves me that the actual Whitewater part of the eventual impeachment lasted only about 3 to 4 years. There was ongoing matters with the proceedings such as trying to get Bill Clinton for perjury and other matters including the Lewinsky matter but the Whitewater part as far as the alleged fraudulent investment tranctions didn't get off the ground. Most of that part moved to the McDougals and trying to get Susan to testify. Again as I recall Hillary wasn't questioned all that much after the actual Whitewater business.

townsend

Banned
Memory serves me that the actual Whitewater part of the eventual impeachment lasted only about 3 to 4 years. There was ongoing matters with the proceedings such as trying to get Bill Clinton for perjury and other matters including the Lewinsky matter but the Whitewater part as far as the alleged fraudulent investment tranctions didn't get off the ground. Most of that part moved to the McDougals and trying to get Susan to testify. Again as I recall Hillary wasn't questioned all that much after the actual Whitewater business.
Yeah I was being hyperbolic with the timeline.

townsend

Banned
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/283023-trump-my-voters-dont-care-about-lack-of-policy-specifics?utm_content=33900459&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Trump said that he doesn’t need to release detailed proposals the way Hillary Clinton does because his supporters trust him to be an effective executive.
"My voters don’t care and the public doesn’t care,” Trump said. “They know you’re going to do a good job once you’re there.”
Donald Trump did a really good job (tremendous) describing exactly what's wrong with his voters.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Florida AG sought donation before nixing Trump University fraud case
By Tom LoBianco, Drew Griffin and Scott Zamost, CNN
Updated 9:31 PM ET, Fri June 10, 2016

(CNN)Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi is denying that a $25,000 donation from Donald Trump is in any way connected to her office's decision not to pursue action against Trump University, despite dozens of complaints in Florida, her spokesman said.

Bondi, who endorsed Trump in March, received the donation in 2013 via a political action committee raising money for her re-election.

The donation came from one of Trump's charities six days after Bondi's then-spokeswoman told a reporter their office was "currently reviewing the allegations" against Trump University in a class action lawsuit in New York, according to internal emails that were among more than 8,000 pages of documents originally requested by The Orlando Sentinel and also obtained by CNN.

Florida never pursued any investigation or action against Trump or his university.

"While there was never an investigation, staff, doing due diligence, reviewed the complaints and the New York litigation and made the proper determination that the New York litigation would provide relief to aggrieved consumers nationwide," Bondi spokesman Whitney Ray told CNN.

In a follow-up statement released on Tuesday, Bondi said her office has "made public every document on this issue, which shows no one in my office ever opened an investigation on Trump University nor was there a basis for doing so. Any news story that suggests otherwise is completely false."

Bondi's request for a donation was in the time period of August and September of 2013, said Marc Reichelderfer, a former Bondi campaign consultant.

"It wasn't just Donald Trump. She was actively campaigning for re-election and asking for support from friends and supporters," Reichelderfer told CNN.
Since 2008, more than 20 customers have filed complaints against an affiliate of Trump University. Three more were filed against Trump University since then in 2011, 2013 and 2014, according to the records reviewed by CNN.

Bondi took office in 2011.

At the time of Bondi's request for a donation from Trump, Ray said she was unaware of the one new complaint on file with her office.

"I can tell you from this office she had no idea that we had received a complaint about Donald Trump. That wasn't even on her radar," Ray said.

The complaints show several unsatisfied customers called the course a "scam" and one man claimed it forced him in to personal bankruptcy.

The Trump University lawsuits have become a surprising quagmire for Trump, not just because of the lawsuits -- which resulted in the release of highly sensitive internal marketing materials which laid out their high-pressure sales plans -- but because of Trump's own blasts against the federal judge overseeing one of the cases, Gonzalo Curiel.

"Claiming a person can't do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment," House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday.

But the Trump University complaints have also proven tricky for Republicans such as Bondi who oversaw offices tasked with investigating and prosecuting consumer fraud.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's office claimed a victory against Trump this week after Trump University folded up shop in Texas, facing a possible $5.4 million penalty there. But Abbott, who was Texas' attorney general at the time, did not claim that victory until after a former deputy under him accused him of blocking a lawsuit against Trump.

Jiggyfly

Banned
AP: Greg Abbott Given $35K Campaign Donation by Trump after Trump University Probe Dropped
By TWC News Staff & Associated Press
Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 02:36 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott received a $35,000 donation to his successful gubernatorial campaign from Donald Trump. This after a Texas probe into Trump University was dropped in 2010, according to the Associated Press.

The AP reported that Abbott, a Republican, was serving as Texas Attorney General at the time, and opened a civil investigation of "possibly deceptive trade practices" into Trump University, but quietly dropped it when the organization agreed to end its operations in Texas.

Trump subsequently donated $35,000 to Abbott's successful gubernatorial campaign, according to records obtained by the AP.

The AP reported that a spokesman for Abbott declined to comment.

Trump University guides unsealed this week by a federal judge in southern California undercut Trump's portrayal of his one-time real estate seminar course as an uncontroversial operation. Instead, the manuals reflect boiler-room sales tactics -- the proceeds of which went largely to Trump.

The manual for the staff at Trump University events was precise: The room temperature should be 68 degrees. Seats should be arranged in a theater-style curve. And government prosecutors had no right to see any documents without a warrant.

Instructing employees how to stall law enforcement investigations might seem like an unusual part of running a real estate seminar company. But at Trump University -- which drew investigations by Democratic and Republican attorneys general alike -- it was par for the course.

One guide encouraged staff to learn prospective enrollees' motivations in order to better sell them on products: "Are they a single parent of three children that may need money for food?" the guide asked. When people balked at paying for expensive courses, the suggested response for Trump University staff was harsh.

"I find it very difficult to believe you'll invest in anything else if you don't believe enough to invest in yourself and your education," the guide offered as a recommended response.

Those who bought into Trump University ended up paying as much as $34,995 for what was purported to be private mentoring with supposed real estate experts -- some of whom Trump himself later acknowledged were unqualified.

"It's fraud. ... straight-up fraud," said New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman during an MSNBC interview on Thursday morning.

Schneiderman is suing Trump over Trump University in separate but similar case.

"He was clearly in charge of pitching this scam university to people," said Schneiderman.

With past Trump-affiliated business failures and controversies, Trump has often distanced himself by noting that his only financial involvement was a branding agreement. In the case of Trump University, however, Trump's ownership is not in dispute — Trump wanted the business for himself.

When future Trump University President Michael Sexton pitched Trump on the deal, he wanted to pay Trump a flat fee in a licensing deal. Trump rejected that, Sexton said in a deposition.

Trump "felt this was a very good business, and he wanted to put his own money into it," said Sexton, who ended up receiving $250,000 a year from Trump to run a business in which Trump held more than a 90 percent stake. The design of the Trump University operating agreement "was entirely in the hands of the Trump legal team," Sexton said.

Other court records and depositions showed that Trump and senior members of the Trump Organization were responsible for reviewing and signing all checks — and that Trump withdrew at least $2 million from the business.

Trump reviewed the advertising for Trump University's courses, Sexton said. And he did not believe Trump ever looked at what the three-day seminars included.

"Mr. Trump is not going to go through a 300-page, you know, binder of content," Sexton said.

The impression of Trump's involvement given to potential customers was quite different, according to a script for Trump University telemarketers.

"You know who my boss is, right?" the script reads. "Mr. Trump is on a mission to create the next wave of independently wealthy entrepreneurs in America. Is that YOU?"

Trump has defended Trump University by citing surveys in which 98 percent of students reported being pleased with the program. But those surveys took place before students had experienced the full program and were not anonymous, plaintiffs lawyers have said. A higher percentage demanded refunds later.

As scores of students complained that Trump University was a ripoff, the Better Business Bureau in 2010 gave the school a D-minus, its second-lowest grade. State regulators also began to take notice.

Besides the probe that led to Schneiderman's suit, and Abbott's investigation, Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi briefly considered joining with Schneiderman in a multi-state suit against Trump University.

Weigh In On Facebook: Is it inappropriate for an attorney general to take a campaign donation from someone their office was once investigating?

Three days after Bondi's spokeswoman was quoted in local media reports as saying the office was reviewing the New York lawsuit, the Donald J. Trump Foundation made a $25,000 contribution to a political fundraising committee supporting Bondi's re-election campaign.

Bondi, a Republican, soon dropped her investigation, citing insufficient grounds to proceed.

townsend

Banned
Just a quick update on how badly Trump's been doing in the polls

image.jpg

You'll notice the few polls in the middle when the media was trying to pretend it was a race, and that Trump was gaining On Hillary, turns out it was just an anomaly.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
His speeches are starting to sound like a mentally ill person's ramblings.

The other day his supporters were chanting, "build the wall," while he awkwardly wandered around clapping before hugging and nuzzling the American flag on stage behind him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
His speeches are starting to sound like a mentally ill person's ramblings.

The other day his supporters were chanting, "build the wall," while he awkwardly wandered around clapping before hugging and nuzzling the American flag on stage behind him.
Starting to?

Did he really do that it sounds like Perry and the bottle of maple syrup.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom