Schefter: Dallas could take another look at Manziel

townsend

Banned
By the end of his 2nd Season Aikman has 20TDs and 36 Ints, with a comp % of around 53%

townsend

Banned
And Dallas went no where with that performance.
Obviously, but if you were evaluating his viability as a future QB by his first two years of statistics, as people are doing for Manziel, then you would have assumed Aikman was a draft bust.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Obviously, but if you were evaluating his viability as a future QB by his first two years of statistics, as people are doing for Manziel, then you would have assumed Aikman was a draft bust.
Comparing the demeanor of the two, I would say Aikman was mentally structured to learn and work within the team system. I am not so sure Manziel is and that's my biggest reservationabout him.

shane

DCC 4Life
Comparing the demeanor of the two, I would say Aikman was mentally structured to learn and work within the team system. I am not so sure Manziel is and that's my biggest reservation about him.
I feel like Manziel's personal problems might be overblown. But I said the same thing about Quincy Carter too :dunce

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I feel like Manziel's personal problems might be overblown. But I said the same thing about Quincy Carter too :dunce
It's not just his personal problems. It's the way he plays. He still seems to want to rely on instincts and doing things his way rather than playing within the framework of the systems designed for the team.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He has shown nothing since he has been in the league. And, he's a nightmare off the field. You can want him all you would like, but I really hope Jerry steers clear of him.
He has shown an ability to make plays, whether you want to admit it or not. To say he has shown nothing though is flat out wrong.

Calling him a nightmare off the field is weak too...he has made mistakes, no doubt, but I expect that from 20 year old kids.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It's not just his personal problems. It's the way he plays. He still seems to want to rely on instincts and doing things his way rather than playing within the framework of the systems designed for the team.
It would be stupid to make him a pocket passer...his natural ability is in scrambling and making plays.

townsend

Banned
I still kind of hate Manziel. Mainly because he doesn't have an excuse to be a fuck up. He had a privileged upbringing. That being said we have the people in place to keep him on the straight and narrow.

He's definitely not hit that point of no return. Two years in he has a little bit of the magic we expect from
Romo. Give Tony another year as the starter and then let JM compete for the job in 2017. Rodgers, Brees, and Romo all needed about 4 years to gestate.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We could draft a QB, but I am told all the QBs in this class suck...so basically we are shit out of luck and will end up promoting Kellen Moore to the starter when Romo retires.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And yet he looked much better this year then last. So clearly he can learn.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Are you just making stuff up now?

He is a 2nd year QB on a bad team with zero at the reciever position.

He is trending upward by all measurables.
Not even guessing.

Cotton

Staff member
He has shown an ability to make plays, whether you want to admit it or not. To say he has shown nothing though is flat out wrong.

Calling him a nightmare off the field is weak too...he has made mistakes, no doubt, but I expect that from 20 year old kids.
Cool, so you really want him and I do not.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, but I don't use fiction to make a point.
What the fuck ever. Manziel has shown literally nothing that would make me want to bring him onto this team, and plenty of things that make me not want to.

Carry on with your love for mediocrity, though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It would be stupid to make him a pocket passer...his natural ability is in scrambling and making plays.
So was Griffin's. It's just not my type of QB preference for the pros but to each his own.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And yet he looked much better this year then last. So clearly he can learn.
Sure he can. As soon as he got a starting job he blew it the first weekend. He isn't prone (at least now) to conforming to disciplined structure. When he shows some signs then I will go from there. Structure meaning on and off the field.

townsend

Banned
Sure he can. As soon as he got a starting job he blew it the first weekend. He isn't prone (at least now) to conforming to disciplined structure. When he shows some signs then I will go from there. Structure meaning on and off the field.
Which is why we should have Garrett super fired by the time Manziel walks in the building. Of course being the designated backup working for a chance to be a starter after effing up might do it. Cleveland has done a lot
Of our heavy lifting for us.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Which is why we should have Garrett super fired by the time Manziel walks in the building. Of course being the designated backup working for a chance to be a starter after effing up might do it. Cleveland has done a lot
Of our heavy lifting for us.
I doubt Garrett would be fired if Jones went after Manziel. I don't know how that chemistry would work out.

townsend

Banned
I doubt Garrett would be fired if Jones went after Manziel. I don't know how that chemistry would work out.
Garrett should be fired regardless. Along with the entire offensive staff. For the teams sake. Him not being a good coach for Johnny is the same reason he isn't the right coach for the Cowboys.

Top Bottom