Week 3 Gameday Chatter Thread | Falcons at Cowboys | 9/27/2015

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am going to eat a shit ton of food the rest of the day to drown my depression.

That is one disadvantage of an early game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I haven't been truly bummed out over a Cowboys loss in over 3 years, but this one really hurts because we could have easily won this game, and it was a confirmation that our season really is over unless the rest of the division just flat out sucks every week along with us.

Our defense let us down today....big time. Weeden is limited and we all knew that, but if someone had told us we could have 28 points for this game - take it or leave it - we all would've jumped all over that deal and taken those 28 points. The way our defense had played the previous 2 weeks, we would have absolutely loved our chances to win this game in that scenario.

Instead, we had a defense that from the middle of the 2nd quarter onward could not stop the run or Julio Jones. Every run went for 8 yards or more it seemed, and apparently, we didn't get the note that Julio Jones is their best player and one of the most dangerous receivers in the league. Guys like that are gonna make plays no matter what you do, but damn......at some point you gotta start bracketing the guy and taking him completely out of the game.

It got so easy to get him the ball that for most of the afternoon, they didn't even attempt to throw it someone else! That's just pathetic.

There are 2 plays I would love to have back today. One was the first Weeden pick when we had all the momentum on our side and Atlanta had no answer for us, and the other is the Witten false start in the 3rd quarter when we started the drive on their 47. Those 2 plays not becoming negatives could've changed the outcome.

With that said, ultimately what cost us was the defense, and Weeden's limitations eventually catching up to us. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only recall 2 intermediate throws for the entire game - one to Williams that was tipped and almost picked, and the 2nd to Witten when he was open and Weeden made a poor throw. Atlanta eventually figured out that we didn't trust him to throw the ball further than 8 yards down the field, so they loaded the box to stop the run and covered the underneath stuff, and from that point on, our goose was cooked.

Still, we might have been able to hold on had this defense played decently, but they were absolutely terrible and we had no chance to win a game like this with the defense performing that poorly.

The Saints game is the only winnable game I see over the next 4 or 5 weeks. Weeden's limitations will prevent us from doing anything significant, and teams will know this.

As sad as it is to say, our season is over. We won't survive the next 7 weeks. We're simply much too limited to do so.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Josh McCown with the game clinching INT. :lol

data

Forbes #1
I am going to eat a shit ton of food the rest of the day to drown my depression.

That is one disadvantage of an early game.
Wife's out. I asked my wife to brhing home fast food.

She texts back "big mac or nuggets."

"Both. Cowboys lost."

data

Forbes #1
One more 1st round CB and maybe we'll be able to stop the pass

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I haven't been truly bummed out over a Cowboys loss in over 3 years, but this one really hurts because we could have easily won this game, and it was a confirmation that our season really is over unless the rest of the division just flat out sucks every week along with us..

Each win we can claw out until Romo gets back is gold.

I can't understand how we came into this game so unprepared that we just figured the Falcons would give up.

No question, we gave them both barrels as far as our best plays in the first half.

They didn't give up and we couldn't deal with it.

That is why Garrett is not a great manager.

I guarantee you we went overboard in O prep all week and just assumed the defense was going to do okay.

Well, they didn't.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I can't understand how we came into this game so unprepared that we just figured the Falcons would give up.

No question, we gave them both barrels as far as our best plays in the first half.

I guarantee you we went overboard in O prep all week and just assumed the defense was going to do okay.

Well, they didn't.
The Weeden INT could've been prevented. That's as much on coaching as it is on Weeden.

Yes, he's an NFL QB and even a 12 year old who plays Madden knows now to throw that ball, but this is Weeden and a coach is responsible for knowing and understanding his personnel.

We had a 14 point lead, our offensive line was killing it, the running game was going, and they still hadn't taken away any of the middle of the field stuff. So what do we do? We try to get cute and have Weeden run a bootleg where most of his targets are going the opposite way.

Why in the hell would you make that call at that point in the game? Play it cool and keep doing what's working.

That was probably the biggest play of the game.

data

Forbes #1

Well, they didn't.
Still early, but if we can't beat NO next week, we're gonna need to beat both NYG/Phi.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
All day long. Dink and dunk is fine to a degree but at some point you have to take a shot to keep the D honest but Weeden asked a backup RB to do the grunt work in the passing game. Fail. What was Weeden's longest completion through the air, maybe 10, 15 yards?

I don't GAS who starts at QB but this offense is dead with no downfield threat.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Supposed ELITE OL quit playing hard or something.
That's not what happened at all.

Atlanta realized that we placed all our bets on running the ball and throwing the short stuff. Once they finally figured out we weren't willing to take a chajce down the field, they ll fought everyone forward to stop the run and cut out the underneath passing routes.

We either failed to adjust to that, or Weeden couldn't do anything about it - or both.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's not what happened at all.

Atlanta realized that we placed all our bets on running the ball and throwing the short stuff. Once they finally figured out we weren't willing to take a chajce down the field, they ll fought everyone forward to stop the run and cut out the underneath passing routes.

We either failed to adjust to that, or Weeden couldn't do anything about it - or both.
Correct.

The offense has zero blame in this collapse.

Hey, you had two 14 point leads, how dare you for not holding them both!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Still early, but if we can't beat NO next week, we're gonna need to beat both NYG/Phi.
I agree. It is still early.

But this is a game that we will look back on and regret.

It was winnable. Very winnable.

This was the one shot to capitalize on the unknown with Weeden and make teams respect the offense to even a small degree.

Now they know we will play small ball and hope Marinelli and his merry band of idiots don't fuck it up.

Which they did in a royal fashion.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
I just don't think we had the horses up front. Dlaw is underwhelming and with mincy, hardy, gregory, and Mclain out we are really short up front.

Top Bottom