Mock Draft Roundup 4.0: Does Hardy Suspension Affect The First Round?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mock Draft Roundup 4.0: Does Hardy Suspension Affect The First Round?
By DallasCowboys.com Report

Friday, April 24, 2015 11:56 AM CDT

IRVING, Texas – Let’s start this week’s mock roundup with a bit of disclosure: the vast majority of these mock drafts don’t account for the 10-game suspension of Greg Hardy, handed down by the NFL on Wednesday afternoon.

The good news for us draftniks is that I’m honestly not sure that’s an important detail. Yes, the Cowboys need pass rushers and yes the loss of Hardy for 10 games is going to hurt their ability to get to the quarterback.

If you’ve been following this draft process, though, you’re probably aware of an unfortunate fact for this team. The Cowboys, picking 27th overall in the first round, are not ideally placed for pass rushing talent. They’re far too far down the draft board to be considered realistic destinations for the big names – Leonard Williams, Dante Fowler, Vic Beasley, etc.

There are possibilities, and some of them are mentioned among the mocks below. For the most part, however, the draft experts are sticking to the same line of thinking that’s been evident for a month or so: the Cowboys’ best bet for value is at other spots. Of the 12 mocks listed here, seven have the Cowboys selecting a defensive back, three focus on a pass rusher and two have them taking a running back.

For the full breakdown, see below:

ESPN.com’s Todd McShay

Date of Mock: April 22
Pick: Connecticut CB Byron Jones
Comment: “Gordon is an option for the Cowboys if he drops this far, but they can also look to add a running back later in the draft. Cornerback is their second-biggest need, and Marcus Peters is a possibility here, but I'll have them take Jones. His recognition skills in coverage can improve, but he's an exceptional athlete with good size and great intangibles who could really help upgrade the corner position for Dallas.”

NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein

Pick: Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon
Comment: “DeMarco Murray's production worked wonders for Tony Romo and the Dallas offense. Gordon allows Dallas to continue along that same path.”

CBSSports.com’s Rob Rang

Date of Mock: April 21
Pick: Washington CB Marcus Peters
Comment: “The signing of defensive end Greg Hardy only reinforces that Jerry Jones is willing to take chances on players with character concerns if the talent is great enough. Peters is the most gifted cornerback in this class and would provide an immediate upgrade over disappointing veterans Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne.”

SBNation’s Dan Kadar

Date of Mock: April 20
Pick: LSU CB Jalen Collins
Comment: “Apparently the opinion that Dallas needs a cornerback is popular. I went with Gurley in my last mock draft, so it was a little strange being the only person to make that pick. In Collins, another stab would be made at a high-upside LSU cornerback. Maybe he could succeed where Morris Claiborne has struggled.”

CBSSports.com’s Dane Brugler

Pick: Collins
Comment: “After Morris Claiborne, it's tough to see the Cowboys drafting another LSU cornerback in the first round, but Collins has the size/speed combination that has scouts and coaches salivating.”

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah

Pick: Wake Forest CB Kevin Johnson
Comment: “After missing out on the top two runners, the Cowboys land some help at cornerback.”

WalterFootball.com’s Walter Cherepinsky

Pick: Alabama S Landon Collins
Comment: “The Cowboys have major issues in their secondary, so it shouldn't surprise anyone if they spend multiple picks on upgrades. I've had them addressing the cornerback position, but safety is definitely in play if Landon Collins falls to them, which is what I have happening in this update. Collins is arguably the top player available and would give Dallas a big upgrade on the back end.”

DraftTek.com

Date of Mock: April 21
Pick: Jones
Comment: “I have taken a look at the "guest list" of prospects invited to Valley Ranch, not an absolute but normally a good indicator, and have narrowed my focus. I don't believe the Cowboys will invest a 1st round pick on a RB (unless Gurley falls), the top pass-rushers are gone, and CB still appears to be the best value at 27. I shifted gears this week to the athletic Huskie, whose Combine numbers jump off the page and match his production.”

BleacherReport’s Ryan Riddle

Pick: UCLA DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa
Comment: “Before you start throwing stones at me in the comment section, let me explain. One of my favorite sleeper picks in this draft is Owamagbe Odighizuwa. I have him ranked as the top 4-3 defensive end in this class if you don’t count Leonard Williams as a defensive end. Zuwa ranks as the fifth most physically gifted prospect in this draft class, which he uses to convert speed to power like few can. In addition to having all the traits needed to dominate as an edge-rusher, he sets an edge, anchors against the run and is a reliable tackler. He would have gone higher, but there are some medical concerns regarding his hips.”

U-T San Diego’s Eddie Brown

Date of Mock: April 15
Pick: Gordon
Comment: “The Cowboys need more playmakers on the defensive side of the ball if they truly want to compete for a championship. However, U-T Sports Editor Todd Adams sums up Jerry Jones perfectly: "He loves his skill players." I worry about Gordon's usage at Wisconsin. His total touches were approaching 700, and you'd like to draft a running back below 500. It's really hard to argue with 2,587 yards and 29 touchdowns though. Top needs: CB, DL, RB”

DraftKing.com

Date of Mock: April 14
Pick: Kentucky DE Bud Dupree
Comment: “This is lower than where I think Dupree should go, but quality players slip in the draft every year. There is a line of thought that the Cowboys will use this pick to draft a running back, and maybe they will. But they can also add a really solid defensive end in Dupree here while still having the opportunity to land a quality running back in round two.”

CBSSports.com’s Pete Prisco

Date of Mock: April 14
Pick: Oklahoma DT Jordan Phillips
Comment: “A power player who fits a need. They have to get stronger in the middle.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would take just about every one of those except Byron Jones.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
whats the beef with Phillips? High motor, good production. I like the player. Could do much worse
High motor? Where are you getting that? Practically every scouting report mentions his lack of consistent effort. Plus he's got some back issues. No wikey.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If we can't land one of the top DLs then I want to trade down for Tevin Coleman.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we can't land one of the top DLs then I want to trade down for Tevin Coleman.
I actually think he would be a great fit here. He doesn't dance much. He is a one cut runner who hits the holes fast and has the size to break tackles. Basically a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme like this.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think he is my new pet cat since Ajayi's knee problems came to light

Cotton

Staff member
I think he is my new pet cat since Ajayi's knee problems came to light
The knee problems have not been substantiated. The initial report that it was a post-combine medical re-check was proven not to be true. Most likely a team leaking info to get him to slide to them in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The knee problems have not been substantiated. The initial report that it was a post-combine medical re-check was proven not to be true. Most likely a team leaking info to get him to slide to them in the draft.
I don't know, I saw another report about it the other day.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably came from the same source, though.
NFLDraftScout.com
2015 NFL Draft: Boise State RB Jay Ajayi's knee a concern for NFL teams
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
April 20, 2015 3:17 pm ET

Boise State running back Jay Ajayi is one of the most talented and productive running backs in the 2015 NFL Draft class. But the long-term durability of his right knee is a “strong” concern, according to several league sources.

Ajayi injured his right knee in October 2011 and has dealt with cartilage issues in that knee over his career.

Ajayi rushed for 3,796 yards over his career in Boise State and could be a very productive runner in the NFL as a rookie. According to league sources, he is ready to play right now, but the question is longevity of the knee and how long will it hold up? Team doctors are unable to pinpoint a timetable with that question.

With a clean bill of health, Ajayi is one of the best running back prospects in this class and projected top-40 draft pick. But with his recent durability concerns, it's tough to predict where teams will feel comfortable drafting him. Chris Polk was viewed as one of the top running back prospects in the 2012 NFL Draft class out of Washington, but concerns regarding his knee left him undrafted. He was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles and has seen part-time duty the last three seasons, rushing for 270 yards and seven touchdowns. While I expect Ajayi to be drafted, there is a good chance it is later than most expected.

Ajayi became the first player in FBS history to rush for 1,800+ yards and collect 500+ receiving yards in 2014. He started 26 games for Boise State the last two years and leaves school with 751 career touches on offense, showing a workhorse mentality. But with that type of workload, the body takes a toll and now the key to Ajayi's draft grade isn't game film or scouting reports, its will team doctors feel comfortable signing off on a knee with long-term question marks?

:skurred

Cotton

Staff member
IT'S JUST SMOKE AND FUCKING MIRRORS, GOD DAMMIT!

~flips table and walks out~

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any time I hear cartilage issues my mind immediately jumps to someone who might need microfracture surgery soon.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I want to like him like a lot of you do but I just can't.

I don't like that he doesn't finish runs and he has horrible balance in comparison to Ajayi.

He would be just meh for me in the 2nd. If we blew a first on him, I'd be a little pissed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I actually think he would be a great fit here. He doesn't dance much. He is a one cut runner who hits the holes fast and has the size to break tackles. Basically a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme like this.
So his lack of balance and aversion to contact do not bother you?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So his lack of balance and aversion to contact do not bother you?
I don't see him having a lack of balance or aversion to contact at all. You don't rush for 2036 yards and average over 7 ypc while having bad balance. Not sure what you guys were watching if you think he avoids contact either.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
im starting to very much warm up to the idea of drafting him in the first if we can't trade down and cannot get a defensive lineman. Coleman and Ajayi are both perfect fits for the cowboys blocking scheme. It would be kind of Frederick-esque to reach on him, but could pay huge dividends

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
im starting to very much warm up to the idea of drafting him in the first if we can't trade down and cannot get a defensive lineman. Coleman and Ajayi are both perfect fits for the cowboys blocking scheme. It would be kind of Frederick-esque to reach on him, but could pay huge dividends
His running style actually reminds me a ton of Murray. He is a fast guy with big play ability but he isn't a sudden runner. It takes him a little bit to get up to speed. When he is up to speed he sheds tackles without you even noticing it and he cuts without losing any speed. He runs a bit upright but he is sneaky elusive.

He doesn't run with the power of Murray but hell Murray didn't run with that power when he came out of college either. It took him a little while to develop that aspect of his game.

I am against him in the first but that's because I love some of the other RBs in this draft. After a trade down into the second I'd be all for it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Coleman might bruise our linemen's backs-- he doesn't strike me as patient. You'd also think with his speed he'd flat out destroy as a receiver but it just didn't happen for some reason. I also wonder about his lack of size in pass protection.

I actually prefer David Johnson. He works his ass off for his production and doesn't rely on his speed. Coleman's speed advantage will disappear in the NFL, and where does that leave his game?

Top Bottom