Archer: Anthony Hitchens a jack of all LB trades

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not worried about it, and it wouldn't be a big deal if there was a solid front office in place.

This kind of drafting "genius" is what Jones and Co are known for...yeah, they got lucky, or knew what they had...but there's a good chance the guy would have been there a couple rounds later. In the end it worked out....but that's not the norm for the Cowboys/JJ draft history.

As has been brought up...look no further than Escobar. Useless, waste of a pick that could have been the DL help that is so sorely needed.
If you look at the lat 3 drafts there have been way more hits than misses and Jerry had to be talked into drafting Escobar by Garrett and ignored when Garret was wanting to Eifert.

Claiborne set them back a ways but he is the only big miss in the last 3 years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's a tough one.

Lawrence also punched a big hole in our 2014 draft.

Dez, Tyron, Carter, Murray, Harris, Crawford, Hanna, Frederick, Terrance Williams, JJ Wilcox, Martin, and Hitchens have been significant contributors this season who were drafted since 2010. Wilber, Randle, Street, Lawrence, and Escobar are on the team and can hopefully give us more. Maybe even Claiborne can come back.

Moving forward we just have to get more foundational players on defense.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's a tough one.

Lawrence also punched a big hole in our 2014 draft.

Dez, Tyron, Carter, Murray, Harris, Crawford, Hanna, Frederick, Terrance Williams, JJ Wilcox, Martin, and Hitchens have been significant contributors this season who were drafted since 2010. Wilber, Randle, Street, Lawrence, and Escobar are on the team and can hopefully give us more. Maybe even Claiborne can come back.

Moving forward we just have to get more foundational players on defense.
You already have 4 consistent contributors from this draft without Lawrence and sorry, but the jury is still out on him.

Oh yeah let's see how your boy Ealy is doing, well for one he can't beat out a undrafted guy to start and has only one QB hit in 4 games.

This is a breakdown of his suckage.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2218106-game-tape-shows-kony-ealy-not-ready-to-help-a-porous-panthers-defense

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not worried about it, and it wouldn't be a big deal if there was a solid front office in place.

This kind of drafting "genius" is what Jones and Co are known for...yeah, they got lucky, or knew what they had...but there's a good chance the guy would have been there a couple rounds later. In the end it worked out....but that's not the norm for the Cowboys/JJ draft history.

As has been brought up...look no further than Escobar. Useless, waste of a pick that could have been the DL help that is so sorely needed.
I agree the drafting history is a comedy of errors but I am trying to look at it from a team and coaching point of view. I think most everyone agrees that every player on the roster should have to compete for their position. With that in mind I am making a pitch that once the draft is over and training begins, the position a player was drafted is a moot point. If as an example Hitchens was drafted too high but he is competition favorably in the position he was drafted for then hip hip hooray. We can be happy about or we can remain sad he was drafted too high. Same is true of every other position. As stated earlier is is a pragmatic thing for me once the player is on the squad. The only thing I am interested in is how they are producing. Having said that I really don't expect everyone to see it the same way. It just my point of view.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
No one really knows that. What you have to do is trust your scouts and the grades they put on players. If your scouts don't do a good job of that then you need to fire your scouts and get different ones. So if the scouts put a 4th round grade on Hitchens, you shouldn't hold back on taking him. Getting cute would be saying, "we have a fourth round grade but think everyone else has a sixth so lets wait and see if we can get him later" and then miss out on the player. You have to let talent evaluation dictate your draft, not guesses at what other teams think.
Again, I think thats a fair statement if you have a solid front office and have a history of finding talent everyone else overlooks.

The Cowboys have turned it around a bit, but theres also a ton of make-up that has to be done from prior drafts that followed the same blueprint. Thats the only reason I bring up the Hitchens thing....it was a gamble, because no one else (According to various sources) had a 4th round grade on the guy. And for a team like the Cowboys, who have not fared well when taking a flier on players, it was a bit head scratching from an outside perspective.

I like the pick, and I'm pretty stoked the guy is panning out.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If you look at the lat 3 drafts there have been way more hits than misses and Jerry had to be talked into drafting Escobar by Garrett and ignored when Garret was wanting to Eifert.

It's amazing how much better this team gets when you don't let Garrett do things (like call plays and draft TEs).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You already have 4 consistent contributors from this draft without Lawrence and sorry, but the jury is still out on him.

Oh yeah let's see how your boy Ealy is doing, well for one he can't beat out a undrafted guy to start and has only one QB hit in 4 games.

This is a breakdown of his suckage.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2218106-game-tape-shows-kony-ealy-not-ready-to-help-a-porous-panthers-defense
I wonder what it would take for him to be better than Lawrence? Oh yeah, that would be like anything at all. :lol

Sure and steady Ealy is going to improve. He has the size and tools to do it and it will just take time.

As in, time actually spent on the field.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wonder what it would take for him to be better than Lawrence? Oh yeah, that would be like anything at all. :lol

Sure and steady Ealy is going to improve. He has the size and tools to do it and it will just take time.

As in, time actually spent on the field.
Or maybe he's just slow and he's going to be at best a warm body LDE like Mincey in this league.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Or maybe he's just slow and he's going to be at best a warm body LDE like Mincey in this league.
Could be. Don't really care anymore. We need just Lawrence to be everything Jerry's scouts told him he is instead of an undersized and injured bitch.

Top Bottom