Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Say Romo wins one SB with the Cowboys this year...where does he jump to in the list? Does he become ROH candidate? HOF?
Both.

His stats are already impressive, but they are overshadowed by his lack of playoff success coupled with backbreaking mistakes at the absolute worst times. The only way to overcome both is to win the ultimate prize.

Once you win a championship, all of those criticisms go away. He'd have better stats than practically half of the QB's in the HOF right now, and any QB who can win a SB in Dallas most certainly deserves to be in the ROH.

Unfortunately, I don't see Romo winning a SB so it's moot point.

data

Forbes #1
I think he is a top 10 type guy right now.

I'd go with a list like this:

1. Staubach
2. Smith
3. Aikman
4. Lilly
5. Dorsett
6. R. White
7. Irvin
8. Allen

After that you can make a case for Renfro, Hayes, Wright, Jordon, Ware, Howley, Harris, Martin, Witten, Pearson...and yes, Romo...to round out the top 10.

I also think 10 years from now we talk about Tyron Smith the same way we revere Larry Allen.
even if not a cowboys fan, i'd like to see romo win a SB just for all the hilarity and backtracking.

goes from all-time choker stat padder to 'omg look at his stats and he suffered from a shitty team', ala john elway

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
After that you can make a case for Renfro, Hayes, Wright, Jordon, Ware, Howley, Harris, Martin, Witten, Pearson...and yes, Romo...to round out the top 10.

I also think 10 years from now we talk about Tyron Smith the same way we revere Larry Allen.
I think Witten definitely belongs in the top 10, even if it is near the bottom. The guy is a HOF'er and he shared Irvin's passion for being a Cowboy.

The one big drawback of his is that he wasn't the leader that he could and should have been. With DeMarcus Ware, I didn't think he had leadership ability, but Witten does, which is why it's disappointing that he didn't step up more often in that regard.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As much credit as we want to give Irvin for being such a leader we also need to acknowledge just how selfless Aikman was as a QB. He certainly could have put up more numbers in a different system...he never had a chance to put up numbers that would draw GOAT considerations.

Carp

DCC 4Life
even if not a cowboys fan, i'd like to see romo win a SB just for all the hilarity and backtracking.

goes from all-time choker stat padder to 'omg look at his stats and he suffered from a shitty team', ala john elway
John Elway was the best QB of alltime.

kthxbai

data

Forbes #1
wasnt there an idiot that thought bill bates is in the conversation?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I don't think they'd backtrack to that degree, nor should they.

Elway was the master of comebacks and consistently carried good but not great teams to the SB. Romo has never really lifted the overall play of his teammates, and certainly nowhere near to the degree that Elway did.

Also, Romo's choker label is deserved. Whether you think it's harsh or not, you simply cannot erase the countless mistakes he's made in big games or in crucial moments of big games. Because of that, I think some will give him more credit than before, but it won't be a case of them saying it was the team or whatever holding him back.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That is moronic. Everson Walls though...he is in the conversation. Also, Deion and Haley...although not lifelong Cowboys, their impact was great.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As much credit as we want to give Irvin for being such a leader we also need to acknowledge just how selfless Aikman was as a QB. He certainly could have put up more numbers in a different system...he never had a chance to put up numbers that would draw GOAT considerations.
I agree completely.

I'm a huge Aikman fan and you have to include him in any discussion about the greatest leaders in team history. He was everything you wanted in a QB.

Cowboys fans love to mention his lack of comebacks, but how often did we need to comeback and how often did we engage in shootouts? Like you said, the guy was in a run first offense and he never complained.

Put him in the West Coast offense or any of the pass heavy offenses of today, and he would've put up amazing stats with what I consider the most accurate arm of all time.

data

Forbes #1
I don't think they'd backtrack to that degree, nor should they.

Elway was the master of comebacks and consistently carried good but not great teams to the SB. Romo has never really lifted the overall play of his teammates, and certainly nowhere near to the degree that Elway did.

Also, Romo's choker label is deserved. Whether you think it's harsh or not, you simply cannot erase the countless mistakes he's made in big games or in crucial moments of big games. Because of that, I think some will give him more credit than before, but it won't be a case of them saying it was the team or whatever holding him back.
i didn't mean to say that romo = elway, but in 1995, you'd get laughed at for considering him a top 5 qb of all time.

with an sb ring, what separates romo from a warren moon and dan fouts, both hof'ers?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am not going to pretend to have seen Lilly play, I can only go by what I have seen in highlights and how he was thought of my his team and contemporaries. Does not mean I can't have him on a list because I was not alive when he was doing work. I mean Abe Lincoln was an alltimer of a President, but I did not watch one of his State of the Union addresses.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The owner of the DCU thinks he should be in the ROH.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
i didn't mean to say that romo = elway, but in 1995, you'd get laughed at for considering him a top 5 qb of all time.

with an sb ring, what separates romo from a warren moon and dan fouts, both hof'ers?
I elevate Romo over both of those guys if he wins a SB.

IMO, the only guys you clearly rank above Romo are the all time greats - the legends.

Dan Fouts was a fantastic QB, but Romo's stats are up there with his, and a SB is the ultimate trump card.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is moronic. Everson Walls though...he is in the conversation. Also, Deion and Haley...although not lifelong Cowboys, their impact was great.
Agreed. Loved Bates, but he doesn't belong anywhere even close to any top 10 or even top 20 Cowboys list.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...related to nothing...the safety tandem of Downs and Thurman was a favorite of mine.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Agreed. Loved Bates, but he doesn't belong anywhere even close to any top 10 or even top 20 Cowboys list.
He was a great guy and the guy is a Cowboy through and through, and that is why he is so revered, but he was an average player at best and that is why he doesn't belong anywhere near a top 10 list of Cowboys.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
About Romo not elevating the play of his team.....I think the best football I've ever seen him play was in 2011.

His play in the 2nd half of the season was outstanding. The guy was on fire and was carrying that offense. Everyone remembers us putting up solid numbers and Laurent Robinson having a heck of a year, but go back and watch those last 8 games and almost all of the big plays we made were Romo drawing shit up in the dirt.

The Witten TD at Washington, the huge Robinson completions in the Giants game, the escapes in the Dolphins game on Thanksgiving. Romo was single-handedly making that offense go, and yet, all we could muster was 8-8.

That may not be all his fault, but again, truly great QB's do find a way to get their team to enough wins, and he simply just hasn't done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom