Melton Signed

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think we go Pryor or Clinton Dix now. I don't like this DE class.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think we go Pryor or Dix now. I don't like this DE class.
I think either would be BPA and wouldn't have a problem with that. Also think there'll be good quality/value at DL in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just don't see a DE worth the 16th pick...Barr would be a dream there too.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We have to bring in at least 2 DEs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

So, if they haven't agreed on a contract...

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Nothing wrong with with Dix if we trade down. If we take him at our pick I will be pissed.

Cotton

Staff member
Nothing wrong with with Dix if we trade down. If we take him at our pick I will be pissed.
So, you're good with going down for Dix?

Cotton

Staff member
You weave words beautifully.
I should have said "So, you're good with moving down for Dix".

Would have been much funnier in hindsight.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was mentioned in passing in the Twitterverse this morning after he left for the Rams. At lot of folks thought he was about big money long term, but in reality, short term up front works best for him.

If he does play well, he has a built in cheerleader in Marinelli who would beg Jones to extend. Probably is a smart strategy.
Odds are if he has a healthy season he will have a shot at the pro bowl in this defense. That sets him up very nicely for a pay day at age 28. The short term deal is a good gamble on his part. It also benefits Dallas obviously. Plus with Ware's contract off the books next year we can afford the pay increase if deserved.

Also shouldn't stop us from Donald if available.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Honestly, this takes us out of the Donald option IMO. They feel good about the position now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It sounds to me like Melton wanted a prove it deal which allows him to recoup his value so I'm guessing the first year is relatively minimal but the option years are probably inflated, so basically he's either recouping his value by forcing the Cowboys to exercise expensive options or he gets to test the market if we don't want to pay up.
If we decided not to pick up the option years, would we then be eligible for a comp pick? If he priced himself out of our range, that could work out nicely for us if so.

Cotton

Staff member
As an aside, Romo named his new son Rivers Romo.

Top Bottom