Mendez: On disappearing running game, Romo, Garrett say they were trying to stay aggr

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
On disappearing running game, Romo, Garrett say they were trying to stay aggressive, avoid going into stacked fronts

Tony Romo checked out of a run on the second-and-1 play that resulted in the final interception because he didn’t want to run into a stacked front.

Looking back, he says the Cowboys should have run, obviously.

“It’s a run call we have. We’ll have it up three to five to six times a game where you will throw the ball because you get a bad look into the run,” Romo said. “That’s a time, when I look back now, we should have run the ball because I threw an interception. We shouldn’t ever give them a chance to have the ball. We’ve got to get better. I’ve got to do better than that. It’s tough.”

Romo said the Cowboys wanted to stay aggressive in the second half because of the way the Packers were playing defense.

“It's easy to look back now and say run the ball, run the ball, run the ball,” Romo said. “But at the same time, if you are not going to have numbers, it’s a tough situation. What I have to do is a better job protecting the ball in that situation. I didn't do a good enough job of that tonight. I will next time.”

Romo was reluctant to send a run against more players than the offense could block.

“We didn’t run a ton against stacked boxes,” he said. “I don’t think any team is going to have a ton of success. They are going to run sometimes. But they switched up defenses once we got up pretty good. That’s also why we were able to move the ball during the game. Ultimately, it came down to execution on both sides of the ball. We both needed to do better. It’s a team game.”

Coach Jason Garrett said the Packers were trying to get the Cowboys to run twice and force a third-and-long.

“You adopt an aggressive mentality, but you also want to be as smart as you can be in that situation with that whey are going to do,” Garrett said. “They are going to put nine guys on the line of scrimmage. They are going to try to get you to second-and-12 and third-and-14 and try to get the ball back that way. So you want to implement the offense the best you can. You want to run the football if you can create some favorable run looks, and then you want to simply make plays in the passing game.”

-- Carlos Mendez

I am so fucking sick of hearing the excuses. "Looking back, we should have..." How many times does hindsight not teach you ANYTHING?

"Ultimately, it came down to execution on both sides of the ball. We both needed to do better. It’s a team game.” This quote right pisses me the hell off. You can not lay this at the feet of the players. It's your fault, Garrett. Period.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
“It's easy to look back now and say run the ball, run the ball, run the ball,” Romo said. “But at the same time, if you are not going to have numbers, it’s a tough situation. What I have to do is a better job protecting the ball in that situation. I didn't do a good enough job of that tonight. I will next time.”
Who the hell is looking back? I'll bet every single Cowboys fan on earth was just like me and screaming at them to run the ball in the moment, at the exact same time Romo and GarCallahan were calling pass plays.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bottomline, Romo shouldn't have free reign to do what he wants. But the tragic thing is, he has a mandate from the owner.

As bad as Garrett is and no matter how much I want him gone, I am at that point with Romo as well.

He is not smart enough to have the amount of input and autonomy he enjoys in this offense.

He has been in it for ages, yet still makes the same stupid fucking mistakes he did earlier in his career.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It's hard to win in this league.
There are no bad teams in the NFL.
We work hard.
Players try hard.
It's a team game.
We just need to continue to focus on moving forward and getting better.
It's a process.
<fizzle> Process...
<fizzle> Process...
<fizzle> Process...
<fizzle> No bad...process...

Fuck him.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Bottomline, Romo shouldn't have free reign to do what he wants. But the tragic thing is, he has a mandate from the owner.

As bad as Garrett is and no matter how much I want him gone, I am at that point with Romo as well.

He is not smart enough to have the amount of input and autonomy he enjoys in this offense.

He has been in it for ages, yet still makes the same stupid fucking mistakes he did earlier in his career.
Booze, how many times have I said that Romo is a loser? I've been saying it since TexasAce and Rant (RIP, amigo) brought me over here. It's in his fucking DNA. He is a born loser. You just can't suck the stink out of him. It's who he is. He's a great stats compiler for fantasy football but will choke in every situation when he needs to lead a team. And it's because he isn't a winner. He doesn't have the mental fortitude or resolve to do it. That's why I was against that contract extension. It was a stupid idea because it kept a mediocre QB (who holds this team back) on the roster and prevents us from moving forward with someone who may actually be capable of winning.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Note to all NFL D coordinators. Stack the box and you will guarantee the Cowboys pass every play because their QB is a fucking idiot that will check out as soon as he reads the number of defenders up front.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Note to all NFL D coordinators. Stack the box and you will guarantee the Cowboys pass every play because their QB is a fucking idiot that will check out as soon as he reads the number of defenders up front.
and the coach is the kind of idiot that would set up the offense that way.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

It's his "never concede a broken play" instinct, which Bill Parcells always said needed to be reigned in. He sees the line stacked against the run and doesn't want to concede to a no gain handoff so he changes to a pass.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's his "never concede a broken play" instinct, which Bill Parcells always said needed to be reigned in. He sees the line stacked against the run and doesn't want to concede to a no gain handoff so he changes to a pass.
And we have a coach that has the same mentality so they enable each other.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
What kinda of idiot thinks to check into a pass play with with a few minutes left on the clock and knowing that all you have to do is protect the ball and run the clock? Tony Romo is the only qb in this league that would be that stupid.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

If he ever had a coach who could reign him in or a defense that could be stout when called upon, Romo actually had a chance to have become great in much the way Brett Favre became great under Mike Holmgren.

That chance passed some time ago. Now he's set in his ways, and yes he's nowhere near smart enough to run an offense.

He's destined to land somewhere between Jake Plummer and Rich Gannon when all's said and done.

Top Bottom