Machota - Cowboys position series: Will defensive line additions lead to more sacks?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys position series: Will defensive line additions lead to more sacks?

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: July 6, 2015 11:48 pm

To give you an idea of what the Cowboys roster looks like with training camp less than a month away, we’re breaking it down position by position.

Here’s the situation on the defensive line.

Players predicted to make the 53-man roster:

1.) Jeremy Mincey, DE

2.) Tyrone Crawford, DT

3.) DeMarcus Lawrence, DE

4.) Randy Gregory, DE

5.) Terrell McClain, DT

6.) Nick Hayden, DT

7.) Jack Crawford, DE

8.) Ken Bishop, DT

9.) Ben Gardner, DE

10.) Ryan Russell, DE

Outlook for the 2015 season:

Is 10 too many? Maybe. But it’s difficult to predict how deep the Cowboys will go up front with 2013 Pro Bowl defensive end Greg Hardy facing a suspension to open the season.

However, when Hardy returns – it could be anywhere from two to 10 games – the Cowboys should be significantly better at getting to opposing QBs than they were in 2014.

The starting group Week 1 will likely be Jeremy Mincey at right end, DeMarcus Lawrence on the left, Tyrone Crawford at the three-technique tackle spot and Nick Hayden next to him at the one-technique.

Rod Marinelli, who likes to send his “rushmen” in waves, should have the best D-line depth of his time with the Cowboys. Second-round pick Randy Gregory and veteran Terrell McClain will also play important roles in that rotation.

During offseason workouts there was a lot of mixing and matching. On pass-rushing downs, the combinations even included Gregory, Crawford, Hardy and Lawrence lining up together. That group is likely to become a fan favorite in the upcoming months.

“Certainly we’ve tried to make that a point of emphasis in how we’ve drafted and how we addressed free agency this year,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “I think if you look at our roster right now you see a lot of that competition and that’s really good for that unit, for our defense.

“It’s also good for the offensive line. When those guys break the huddle they know they’re going to be challenged. We feel like we’ve tried to upgrade in that area and we’re excited about training camp to see how those guys respond.”

The Cowboys finished 28th in the league last season with 28 sacks. Marinelli will be the first to say that wasn’t nearly enough.

“I think there’s just a lot of competition across the board, there’s 10-12 guys that can really play,” second-year defensive end Ben Gardner said. “It’s going to make for one heck of a training camp and hopefully a heck of a season where we can put up some better sack numbers.”

Gardner will battle Jack Crawford and rookie Ryan Russell for snaps. Bishop will see time behind Hayden and McClain. If the Cowboys only keep nine defensive linemen, it’ll be a tough call on which one of these four don’t make the cut.

Future at the position:

Lawrence, Gregory and Crawford represent the future. All three are 25 and younger and all were drafted in the early rounds.

Lawrence, a second-round pick in 2014, started to come on at the end of the year. He missed the first half of his rookie season with a broken foot but was at his best during the playoffs, recording a pair of sacks.

“I think when he came back [from the injury], we saw him grow from practice to practice and week to week and by the end of the year he was really making a lot of impact plays for us,” Garrett said. “We think the sky is the limit for him.”

Dallas is looking for similar impact plays from this year’s second-round pick. Gregory had 17.5 sacks and 29 tackles for loss the last two seasons at Nebraska.

“It’s easy to see his talent, very easy to see,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said of Gregory. “His willingness to take coaching from his teammates, as well as the coaches themselves – all of those things, you like.”

Crawford, a third-round pick in 2012, emerged as the team’s top three-technique option last season. He turned in his best year, totaling three sacks and 29 QB pressures.

“He’s getting better technically, he understands the position better, and you really see him growing before your eyes,” Garrett said of Crawford. “He’s one of those players on the team that really kind of sets the pace for everyone. He’s a great practice player, he plays hard in the games, and I think he’s one of those guys that you point to as a coach and say, ‘Play the way he plays.’ That’s always a good sign, and he’s going to get better and better as a result of that.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ok, so let me play contrarian. I say 'no'.

Honestly, how can it not get better ?

townsend

Banned
Ok, so let me play contrarian. I say 'no'.

Honestly, how can it not get better ?
Playing devil's advocate's advocate, Gregory is underweight, Hardy is rusty, Lawrence has never had a sack in the regular season, he showed flashes in the post season, but so did Bobby Carpenter.

Also Hardy and Gregory are both crazy or dumb or both. For all we know they may both end up wandering through traffic naked.

Melton's gone, and our DT depth is garbage.

We may not be nearly as healthy this year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Playing devil's advocate's advocate, Gregory is underweight, Hardy is rusty, Lawrence has never had a sack in the regular season, he showed flashes in the post season, but so did Bobby Carpenter.

Also Hardy and Gregory are both crazy or dumb or both. For all we know they may both end up wandering through traffic naked.

Melton's gone, and our DT depth is garbage.

We may not be nearly as healthy this year.
Yes there are some potential problems looming out there that can have a pretty adverse affect on the defense this season. Dallas needs some help from outside resources to avoid some of these issues.

townsend

Banned
Yes there are some potential problems looming out there that can have a pretty adverse affect on the defense this season. Dallas needs some help from outside resources to avoid some of these issues.
And luck, Who's to say whether Gregory is the next Simeon Rice or Gaines Adams. No one can say for certain that Hardy will be the same force to be reckoned with that he was 2 years ago.

I will say that after Marinelli got 11 sacks out of Jason Hatcher, anything is possible.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And luck, Who's to say whether Gregory is the next Simeon Rice or Gaines Adams. No one can say for certain that Hardy will be the same force to be reckoned with that he was 2 years ago.

I will say that after Marinelli got 11 sacks out of Jason Hatcher, anything is possible.
Yeah. My point is that the defense isn't a cinch automatic deal that it will improve unless some things fall in place for them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Defense got younger, faster, and more talented which is all good.

Bottom line the team needs to run the football no matter what.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah. My point is that the defense isn't a cinch automatic deal that it will improve unless some things fall in place for them.
Its hard to imagine that it won't, assuming Hardy sees the field and Gregory, Jones are half as good as advertised.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
We absolutely are required to get better at rushing the passer or most everything else is for naught. This is Lesson One from the Green Bay playoff game. And whether it is done by hook or by crook or I don't know, maybe something like creative in-game answers when the opponent is stymieing us? We had NO answers at all for why we couldn't get after or even lay a glove on the cripple Rodgers. There were no stunts, lops, flops, creative blitzing, nothing. We just let him stand back there, plenty of time for cooking up some weenies and burgers for the guys, and picking apart our horrid secondary as almost a afterthought.

If we don't fix this problem we can forget about advancement.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Its hard to imagine that it won't, assuming Hardy sees the field and Gregory, Jones are half as good as advertised.
Well the "assuming" is part of what I am refering to.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We absolutely are required to get better at rushing the passer or most everything else is for naught. This is Lesson One from the Green Bay playoff game. And whether it is done by hook or by crook or I don't know, maybe something like creative in-game answers when the opponent is stymieing us? We had NO answers at all for why we couldn't get after or even lay a glove on the cripple Rodgers. There were no stunts, lops, flops, creative blitzing, nothing. We just let him stand back there, plenty of time for cooking up some weenies and burgers for the guys, and picking apart our horrid secondary as almost a afterthought.

That is also some of what concerns me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We added an elite level talent in free agency and an elite level talent in the draft to fill that need at DE with a pass rush. We did all we could in the off season to improve the pass rush.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We added an elite level talent in free agency and an elite level talent in the draft to fill that need at DE with a pass rush. We did all we could in the off season to improve the pass rush.
Some of that talent is on the back burner for part of the season and part is working on presumed hope. There are some unanswered questions at this point regarding the various unknowns.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of that talent is on the back burner for part of the season and part is working on presumed hope. There are some unanswered questions at this point regarding the various unknowns.
Hardy will play the majority of the season. That's all that matters. Randy Gregory isn't presumed hope. He is a top 10 talent, as far as pass rush draft picks go he is about as good as it gets. Hell everything is a gamble, but these are bets with pretty great odds.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Hardy will play the majority of the season. That's all that matters. Randy Gregory isn't presumed hope. He is a top 10 talent, as far as pass rush draft picks go he is about as good as it gets. Hell everything is a gamble, but these are bets with pretty great odds.
Isn't Hardy currently on a 10 game suspension?

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Personnel wise, perhaps. Personnel wasn't the problem vs. GB.

townsend

Banned
That's right. The game plan was lousy.
I don't know how you gameplan around Rodgers using the konami code in the second half. We definitely should have run more, but we also could have won if a few things had broken slightly differently. The 2014 Cowboys were as good as anyone in the playoffs.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
I don't know how you gameplan around Rodgers using the konami code in the second half.
You hammer his crippled ass in the first half, and the rest of the day too. He couldn't run, yet we practically couldn't lay a glove on him.

Top Bottom