MLB Chatter Thread

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I would like to get in on this trash talking but picking on the Astros is kind of like challenging your 5 year old nephew to a fistfight. Just need to wait a few more years.
I wouldn't worry about a fistfight with a Rangers fan. You would never quite be able to follow through on that final strike.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The name of Houston's team. I know that, like most Rangers fans, you likely discovered baseball about 5 years ago, so I forgive you.
KICK HIS ASS, DALLEN!

Cotton

Staff member
I wouldn't worry about a fistfight with a Rangers fan. You would never quite be able to follow through on that final strike.
Oh HELL no.

~throws off gloves~

Kbrown

Not So New Member
It still feels like I should be trolling NL Central fans to be honest.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
That's true. We would be too busy wondering if the astro would show up past the 4th round.

D

Deuce

@espn_durrett: #Rangers LHP Joseph Ortiz was hit by motorcycle as pedestrian in Venezuela. Fractured his left foot. Had surgery and is out for 3 months.

dallen

Senior Tech
The name of Houston's team. I know that, like most Rangers fans, you likely discovered baseball about 5 years ago, so I forgive you.
That's the one where they hit the little black puck into the net, right?

Cotton

Staff member
Texas Rangers agree to deal for naming rights to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
By Evan Grant/reporter
egrant@dallasnews.com
10:48 pm on February 4, 2014

The Texas Rangers will announce a new naming rights partner for Rangers Ballpark in Arlington on Wednesday, club officials said.

The stadium has been without a naming rights partner since Ameriquest Financial backed out of its 20-year committment to call the field Ameriquest Field.

The Rangers had played the first 10 years at the stadium (1994-2003) without a naming rights partner when the stadium was simply called The Ballpark in Arlington.

The deal comes less than seven months after the Rangers’ Arlington neighbor, the Dallas Cowboys, sold the naming rights to Cowboys Stadium to AT&T for a reported annual value of $17-19 million. The Rangers deal isn’t likely to approach the Cowboys financial windfall, but should help cover a number of the cash calls ownership has made in recent years to support continued growth of the payroll.

According to one baseball source, the Rangers had been talking with several Korean-based companies this winter, including electronics giant Samsung. The possibility of such a deal could only be enhanced by the presence of Korean-born outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.

Now, go sign Cruz.

D

Deuce

Texas Rangers agree to deal for naming rights to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
By Evan Grant/reporter
egrant@dallasnews.com
10:48 pm on February 4, 2014

The Texas Rangers will announce a new naming rights partner for Rangers Ballpark in Arlington on Wednesday, club officials said.

The stadium has been without a naming rights partner since Ameriquest Financial backed out of its 20-year committment to call the field Ameriquest Field.

The Rangers had played the first 10 years at the stadium (1994-2003) without a naming rights partner when the stadium was simply called The Ballpark in Arlington.

The deal comes less than seven months after the Rangers’ Arlington neighbor, the Dallas Cowboys, sold the naming rights to Cowboys Stadium to AT&T for a reported annual value of $17-19 million. The Rangers deal isn’t likely to approach the Cowboys financial windfall, but should help cover a number of the cash calls ownership has made in recent years to support continued growth of the payroll.

According to one baseball source, the Rangers had been talking with several Korean-based companies this winter, including electronics giant Samsung. The possibility of such a deal could only be enhanced by the presence of Korean-born outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.

Now, go sign Cruz.
I saw yesterday he was negotiating with Seattle. Better make a quick offer.

Cotton

Staff member
I saw yesterday he was negotiating with Seattle. Better make a quick offer.
Yeah, sounds like they are willing to offer him a multi-year deal, which is what he has been waiting for.

Rev

Staff member
Rangers, Tommy Hanson Progressing Toward Deal
By Jeff Todd [February 7 at 10:38am CST]
FRIDAY: The Rangers and Hanson are making progress on a deal, tweets Morosi.

THURSDAY: The Rangers are engaged in talks with free agent starter Tommy Hanson, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Morosi reported earlier today that Hanson had received multiple offers.

Hanson, 27, was non-tendered by the Angels just one year after being acquired from the Braves in exchange for Jordan Walden. The 6'6" righty has struggled over the last two years, posting a combined 4.76 ERA in 247 2/3 innings. But Hanson was quite productive over 2009-11, posting a 3.28 ERA in 460 1/3 innings. With just four years and 97 days of service time, any club signing Hanson would control him for at least one more season through arbitration.

Plus....

Right-hander Colby Lewis could re-emerge as a strong candidate. He has not pitched in the Major Leagues since July 2012 while recovering from major surgery on his right elbow and hip. But the Rangers continue to get good reports on his progress and expect him at full strength when Spring Training starts.

"He's feeling good," Maddux said. "I've seen video of him throwing, and he looks free and easy. He's able to get off his back side, that's something he hasn't been able to do (because of the hip) in a while. Now he can push off the mound. Before, he was falling down hill."

Rev

Staff member
Here you go ED. Another pitcher you got from us.

The Dominican Winter League Pitcher of the Year is Cubs Prospect Carlos Pimentel

That headline may be a jolt to some of you who follow Cubs prospecting closely, and wonder how the Cubs have an award-winning-caliber pitching prospect that you don’t know much about.

With the trading that the Cubs and Rangers did this Summer, you’ve got to figure that the Cubs had scouted Pimentel very, very closely. They knew there was a chance he would become a free agent after the year, and I bet they pounced the moment he filed.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/1...rlos-pimentel/

Late Bloomer. He finally started performing this past season.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Nolan returns to the Astros as an advisor. Good. Now give me back the Express and we'll be all set.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Here you go ED. Another pitcher you got from us.

The Dominican Winter League Pitcher of the Year is Cubs Prospect Carlos Pimentel

That headline may be a jolt to some of you who follow Cubs prospecting closely, and wonder how the Cubs have an award-winning-caliber pitching prospect that you don’t know much about.

With the trading that the Cubs and Rangers did this Summer, you’ve got to figure that the Cubs had scouted Pimentel very, very closely. They knew there was a chance he would become a free agent after the year, and I bet they pounced the moment he filed.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/1...rlos-pimentel/

Late Bloomer. He finally started performing this past season.
Interesting. His signing didn't even really register with me. Knew nothing of him until recently reading a bit. He has my attention now. Not sure "Dominican Winter League Pitcher of the Year" is a whole lot to get excited about but still... The article I read said that he was on the alternate list of guys they wanted if the Rangers hadn't thrown Neil Ramirez into that Garza deal, so they liked something about him. Ended up getting him for nothing but the measly contract he signed when he walked as a free agent so anything they get out of him is gravy. Reading that he has pretty good stuff and throws low/mid 90s but with command problems. If they can get that under control in AAA it sounds like at some point he has the stuff to maybe factor into the bullpen mix at the big league level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom