MacMahon: Dez Bryant gets payback vs. Janoris Jenkins

Carp

DCC 4Life
ST. LOUIS -- Dez Bryant didn't get mad when St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins celebrated his pick-six by throwing up the X, taunting Bryant by borrowing his trademark gesture.

Bryant got even.

"Had to get him back," said Bryant, who torched Jenkins for a 68-yard touchdown to help the Dallas Cowboys pull off the 34-31 comeback win Sunday. "Had to get him back."

It didn't look pretty for the Cowboys when Jenkins jumped a stop route to Bryant for an easy interception and 25-yard touchdown return with 6:06 remaining in the second quarter, giving the Rams a 21-0 lead. However, Bryant and quarterback Tony Romo knew right then that they could take advantage of Jenkins' aggressiveness for a big play.

The Cowboys cashed in on the first series of the second half, when Bryant ran a post route off play-action on first down with Jenkins in man coverage. Jenkins bit so badly on Bryant's fake to the outside that he wasn't even in the television picture when Romo's deep ball arrived.

"As soon as I seen him flip his hips, I knew I had him," said Bryant, who caught six passes for 89 yards and also drew a 33-yard pass interference penalty on Jenkins during Dallas' go-ahead drive.

No Rams defenders were within 20 yards of Bryant when Romo threw the ball, as the safety reacted to a deep crossing route by Terrance Williams that is actually the primary read on the play. Bryant was so open that Romo had the luxury of severely underthrowing the ball, just to make sure the completion was made and Bryant could jog into the end zone.

"I took a peek and I knew he was open -- let me make sure he's as wide open as I think," Romo said. "No one ever comes that wide open, so you wait a tenth of a second longer just to be like, ‘Nope, He actually is that wide open.' So you just give him the ball.

"You just want to make sure you don't do anything stupid."

Throwing up the X might not have been Jenkins' smartest move. It was good for a few chuckles, but Bryant got the last laugh.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, that move was sick. He made Jenkins look like a peewee player.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...Jenkins is a pretty great young CB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As an aside...Jenkins is a pretty great young CB.
Yes he is. He baited Tony into throwing that INT him Deion-style.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
There were a few scouting .coms that said Jenkins > Claiborne. Guess our guys just didn't see it. Mo best since Deion. How do you make a fucking evaluation that fucking bad?

Carp

DCC 4Life
There were a few scouting .coms that said Jenkins > Claiborne. Guess our guys just didn't see it. Mo best since Deion. How do you make a fucking evaluation that fucking bad?
To be fair though, he was off many boards because he was a fucking idiot in college.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I mean, real GMs must have pissed themselves laughing when we gave up a second to get Mo.

"Wow, Jerry must really like that kid's ability to cover 4.7 college WRs." ~wipes eyes~

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Jenkins is probably still in a burn unit being treated after that play.

You could tell by the way he bit on that move that he was already thinking about his touchdown dance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jenkins is probably still in a burn unit being treated after that play.

You could tell by the way he bit on that move that he was already thinking about his touchdown dance.
He is a high risk high reward corner. He takes chances and comes up big sometimes but he also takes chances and absolutely gets torched sometimes. I'll still take that over what our corners do any day.

Top Bottom