JJT: Free-agent acquisition Benson Mayowa benched for lack of productivity

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Free-agent acquisition Benson Mayowa benched for lack of productivity
9:00 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- For the last several seasons, the Dallas Cowboys have shied away from spending big money on free agents.

That stance isn't likely to change based on the production of their two highest-priced free-agent additions this offseason.

Neither Cedric Thornton nor Benson Mayowa are in the starting lineup.

At least Thornton played Sunday against Pittsburgh. Mayowa, who signed a three-year deal worth $8.25 million in the offseason, was inactive.

Ryan Davis, signed last month, took Mayowa's spot.

Mayowa, who had two sacks in three seasons with Oakland, was supposed to be the kind of athlete who could help the Cowboys' pass rush.

It's not that Dallas viewed him as a 10-sack guy, but he was envisioned as a player who could put consistent pressure on the quarterback and be a quality member of a pass-rush rotation.

“We have nine guys and we wanted to have the eight most productive guys up there,” coach Jason Garrett said of the defensive line rotation. “We’re trying to create competitive situations in practice and competitive situations in the game to earn the right to be one of those eight guys in the game.”

It hasn't happened with Mayowa. He has two sacks and four quarterback knockdowns for a unit that could use all the help it can get.

The Cowboys entered the Pittsburgh game ranked 15th in sacks (18), 27th in pressures (41) and 29th in knockdowns (29). And they’ve drawn only four holding calls, tied for 31st in the league.

The Cowboys sacked Ben Roethlisberger only once Sunday.

“He’s working hard, but we want to see more production,” Garrett said of Mayowa. “He’s getting better and understanding the techniques we want him to play and at different times he’s done a good job of being productive, but we want him to continue showing up.

“What we do is similar to what he did in Oakland, it’s just a matter of continuing to work hard, showing up and being productive.”

Until he does, he’s going to have a hard time getting on the field.

Rock Slamdance

DCC 4Life
I've hardly noticed the guy. So much so I'd forgotten he was on the team until I saw this article.

I think Thornton has played well as part of that DT rotation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your biggest free agent signing is a scrub who didn't play much for the Raiders, that sure as hell shouldn't scare you away from free agency. It should scare you away from the terrible scouting you did that made you think he was a legit NFL player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I was never under the impression that this guy was some kind of gem. Frankly I had a hard time seeing a role for him. I doubt he will ever be productive even as a third down edge rusher, let alone a starter. He might be decent backup material but to count on him even as a wave player in a rotation seems like a bad idea.

He's on my offseason replace list for sure. With Gregory basically done, and Tapper a complete unknown who we can't count on for anything, I think you've gotta be looking for two more starting/top of the rotation defensive ends in the offseason and at least one of them has to have high end pass rush skill. The tackle rotation looks good with Tyrone Crawford, Collins, Thornton, and I'd put Irving there too, though splitting time as a utility DL. If you can bring back Terrell McClain on the cheap I'm ok with that, otherwise I move on.

But Mayowa, Jack Crawford, Ryan Davis, they are all gone in my opinion, none of them move the needle for me at all.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, I was never under the impression that this guy was some kind of gem. Frankly I had a hard time seeing a role for him. I doubt he will ever be productive even as a third down edge rusher, let alone a starter. He might be decent backup material but to count on him even as a wave player in a rotation seems like a bad idea.

He's on my offseason replace list for sure. With Gregory basically done, and Tapper a complete unknown who we can't count on for anything, I think you've gotta be looking for two more starting/top of the rotation defensive ends in the offseason and at least one of them has to have high end pass rush skill. The tackle rotation looks good with Tyrone Crawford, Collins, Thornton, and I'd put Irving there too, though splitting time as a utility DL. If you can bring back Terrell McClain on the cheap I'm ok with that, otherwise I move on.

But Mayowa, Jack Crawford, Ryan Davis, they are all gone in my opinion, none of them move the needle for me at all.
Crawford is good quality depth.

Have no issue with him as a rotation guy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't see him making many plays. Is he good in run support?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Mayowa was picked up off the bargain rack. The fact that he has only been meh shouldn't scare you off. It's part of the risk of not getting a proven guy in free agency and instead going the cheap route.

Now if you signed Josh Norman for a massive deal and he sucked out loud. Well that should scare you away from free agency.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Davis started out well, then got hurt. Like to see what he does the rest of the season
Yep, same here. He has shown some real flashes rushing the passer. Would like to see what he might be able to develop into.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I mean, Davis can be invited to camp, but I'm bringing in two higher end guys that should without a doubt be better than him if it was up to me. Combined with Tapper's return, to whatever spot he can find, and Irving's ability to play DE, I wouldn't be high on his chances.

Top Bottom