Cowboys trade for Bills QB Matt Cassel

The Dallas Cowboys are making a run on quarterbacks.

Dallas traded for Bills quarterback Matt Cassel on Tuesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, according to a source informed for the move. The news came just minutes after Rapoport reported that the Cowboys promoted Kellen Moore to the active roster from their practice squad.

Around the NFL will have more on this story as it develops.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I'm okay with this depending on how much they gave up for a descending player

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dallas Cowboys are making a run on quarterbacks.

Dallas traded for Bills quarterback Matt Cassel on Tuesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, according to a source informed for the move. The news came just minutes after Rapoport reported that the Cowboys promoted Kellen Moore to the active roster from their practice squad.

Around the NFL will have more on this story as it develops.
Guh, that dude can't throw for shit anymore either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Why not?

Probably not any better than Weeden but why not throw darts at this point?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not?

Probably not any better than Weeden but why not throw darts at this point?
The Bills basically wanted to cut him anyway because he looked so god awful. Good for the Bills getting something out of it. If we were going to trade for someone I think we could have done better but of course I don't really know for sure what players teams would have really been willing to trade and for what price.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We gave up a '17 5th rounder for a '17 7th rounder. He's not worse than the guys we brought in, but probably not much better either. Ponder or Flynn could've been had for free and both are younger than 33 yr old Cassel.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Cassel certainly isn't somebody that will come in and win games for you. There is nobody out there that can do that, or they'd already be on a team. But I think he can come in and not lose a game for you. And that's if he ever even plays a snap. Weeden will be the guy starting until Romo returns, as long as he remains healthy. Cassel will be learning the playbook while backing him up.

And realistically, if Weeden goes down too, he's probably just as good a bet to drive the bus as anybody else out there. Is there really much difference between him, or guys like Ponder or Flynn? At least Cassel has looked competent in the past. The other guys, not so much.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'll say this for cassel, he's got a much better career record than weeden, and cassel has a pretty solid TD to INT ratio for a backup.

He's way behind in knowing the playbook of course.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We gave up a '17 5th rounder for a '17 7th rounder. He's not worse than the guys we brought in, but probably not much better either. Ponder or Flynn could've been had for free and both are younger than 33 yr old Cassel.
That's way too much. Wait until 2015 when we don't have a fifth. Its going to blow.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That's way too much. Wait until 2015 when we don't have a fifth. Its going to blow.
Yep. Best case scenario is Cassel will never need to see the field. In that case no need to trade a draft pick. If he does have to play then is he that much better than Ponder, Flynn or Josh Johnson? Not a back-breaking trade but still, come 2017 Cassel will be long gone and so will our 5th round pick. I'd have preferred signing the QB that looked best in the workout, hope he wouldn't have to see playing time and kept our 5th rounder.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Best case scenario is Cassel will never need to see the field. In that case no need to trade a draft pick. If he does have to play then is he that much better than Ponder, Flynn or Josh Johnson? Not a back-breaking trade but still, come 2017 Cassel will be long gone and so will our 5th round pick. I'd have preferred signing the QB that looked best in the workout, hope he wouldn't have to see playing time and kept our 5th rounder.
I just pray it's conditioned so that when Cassel never plays for us we don't have to give up that pick.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think that 5th is as bad as you guys are making it out to be. If Cassel has to play, I think (and obviously the team thinks) he'd do a better job than somebody like Ponder, Flynn or Josh Johnson. Trading a 5th for a 7th and Cassel isn't that expensive of an insurance policy if you feel he'd do a better job than the others.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I just pray it's conditioned so that when Cassel never plays for us we don't have to give up that pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that 5th is as bad as you guys are making it out to be. If Cassel has to play, I think (and obviously the team thinks) he'd do a better job than somebody like Ponder, Flynn or Josh Johnson. Trading a 5th for a 7th and Cassel isn't that expensive of an insurance policy if you feel he'd do a better job than the others.
The Bills gave up less to get him from the Vikings and he has basically looked terrible by all reports from the Bills since. I'd say it was a bad deal.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The Bills gave up less to get him from the Vikings and he has basically looked terrible by all reports from the Bills since. I'd say it was a bad deal.
You think it was a bad deal, I don't. I can live with that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He looked terrible? Not from what I understand. He was 6 for 7 for 38 in their 3rd preseason game against Pittsburgh, for instance.

While it's not setting the world on fire, it's a far cry from terrible.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You think it was a bad deal, I don't. I can live with that.
I'd rather have Ryan Russel or Orlando Scandrick then a washed up QB who is here for a year and never plays. Granted there are a lot of misses in the fifth round but there is still a lot of talent left around then.

Top Bottom