Car thread

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
WTF...LOL.

I buy the car..its my money...I can do what the hell I want to it. If the manufacturer wants to void the warranty because of it, that's the chance I take. But that should be the limit of it.

dallen

Senior Tech
This BS has been going on with computers for awhile now. If I buy something I do what I want with it

Newt

DCC 4Life
So I've decided to try my hand at "restoring" a car. I've got an 86 Iroc Z Camaro, problem is, I'm not a mechanic. I have a lot of people who can help me with this project, but I don't really know where to start. First off, it needs a new motor, it has a 305 in it and I would like to put a 350 in it. The transmission is fairly new, or so I'm told it has about 5k miles on it, so did the motor but something happened with a freeze plug and now the motor is bad. I'm also going to rip all the interior out and have it redone and give it a fresh new updated paint job. This is the first car (and possibly the last) that I will do my self, anyone have any tips or suggestions?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
So I've decided to try my hand at "restoring" a car. I've got an 86 Iroc Z Camaro, problem is, I'm not a mechanic. I have a lot of people who can help me with this project, but I don't really know where to start. First off, it needs a new motor, it has a 305 in it and I would like to put a 350 in it. The transmission is fairly new, or so I'm told it has about 5k miles on it, so did the motor but something happened with a freeze plug and now the motor is bad. I'm also going to rip all the interior out and have it redone and give it a fresh new updated paint job. This is the first car (and possibly the last) that I will do my self, anyone have any tips or suggestions?
I've done a couple, most recently I did a 87 Surburban 4x4 for my oldest kid and am in the middle of a 99 Dodge Ram 4x4 for my youngest. For the motor find a local machine shop, stay away from Autozone/OReillys/etc crate motors they're crap. Depending on how much horsepower you're wanting you might need to upgrade the trans to account for it(stall converter,hipo valve body).
One of the best resources I've found is getting on a forum dedicated to your car. They'll usually have link to factory service manual and people that have done that exact car so know what headaches you will run into.Here's a few from quick google search-
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33
http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/
http://camaroforums.com/forum/third-generation-1982-1992-136/
If you have any more questions lmk

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Might also add that if you're planning on selling it one day remember that you'll be lucky to get back half of what you put into it. :hattip

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Might also add that if you're planning on selling it one day remember that you'll be lucky to get back half of what you put into it. :hattip
Yep, even if you do most of the work yourself this isn't something you get into to make a profit.

dallen

Senior Tech
How do I build the War Rig from Fury Road?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, even if you do most of the work yourself this isn't something you get into to make a profit.
Pshhhh I've seen all kinds of shows on TV about flipping cars for big profits. Are you telling me he can't be the next Gas Monkey?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Pshhhh I've seen all kinds of shows on TV about flipping cars for big profits. Are you telling me he can't be the next Gas Monkey?
If you're asking if he could be the next to get a scripted reality show then sure, why not

Newt

DCC 4Life
Yeah I don't plan on selling it, at least not any time soon, and I'm not in a big hurry either. It's a car that I've always wanted, not so much that year model or body style, but I've always wanted a Camaro. May eventually turn into my son's first vehicle, if his momma will let him have it.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I will tell you that up front, I will not be the next Gas Monkey. Chances are, I will spend a shit ton of money and sell this car for a giant loss.

dallen

Senior Tech
What is this? A War Rig for ants? How can Warboys be expected to learn how to fight... if they can't even fit inside the rig? I don't wanna hear your excuses! The rig has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't want to just throw cold water on your project but if you don't know the ins and outs of this kind of undertaking i advise forgetting about it or contract the job to someone equipped to handle it. Be especially careful to draw up a contract outlining the terms and amounts as well as the delivery date. Do not advance more to the contractor than the percentage of completion of the project.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I don't want to just throw cold water on your project but if you don't know the ins and outs of this kind of undertaking i advise forgetting about it or contract the job to someone equipped to handle it. Be especially careful to draw up a contract outlining the terms and amounts as well as the delivery date. Do not advance more to the contractor than the percentage of completion of the project.
Already past that point LT, I think I have the right people around to be able to make this happen. I can do the interior, the engine and paint is what I'm concerned with. Really its more of a, which end do I start from? I would love to get it up and running, but I'm afraid if I do that first I will never finish it. But on the other hand if I start with the cosmetic stuff it could be several years before this thing touches the road. Its a terrible conundrum to be in, I wish it on nobody else.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Already past that point LT, I think I have the right people around to be able to make this happen. I can do the interior, the engine and paint is what I'm concerned with. Really its more of a, which end do I start from? I would love to get it up and running, but I'm afraid if I do that first I will never finish it. But on the other hand if I start with the cosmetic stuff it could be several years before this thing touches the road. Its a terrible conundrum to be in, I wish it on nobody else.
Okay. The next logical step then would seem to be the mechanical, structural and operational functions. Interior would be next then cosmetic. That's how I would approach it. The first set of things will allow some investment protection since those things will keep their value. The interior and exterior cosmetics will have little value without the other functions being done.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So today I went out and bought a 66 Mustang fastback to start restoring. Drive down to Austin to look at it and the guy has already done a ton of body prep to it. I'll go next weekend to pick it up and I can't wait to get it back here and get started. My 12 year old daughter went and she is as excited about it as I am. That is exactly what I was hopping for. I'll add pictures soon.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So today I went out and bought a 66 Mustang fastback to start restoring. Drive down to Austin to look at it and the guy has already done a ton of body prep to it. I'll go next weekend to pick it up and I can't wait to get it back here and get started. My 12 year old daughter went and she is as excited about it as I am. That is exactly what I was hopping for. I'll add pictures soon.
Yeah. Send some pics so we can do some hopping with you. I'm gonna look for a pogo stick. :art

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You want to come out ahead, buy a car someone else restored after the project caused a divorce and he's desperate for cash.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Or at least started so the hard work is out of the way and you can finish it as you please.

Top Bottom