Free Agency Chatter...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Raiders safety Tyvon Branch got the shoe as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bengals release Robert Geathers, Greg Little

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 27, 2015, 1:37 PM EST

The Bengals are letting go of a defensive stalwart who had been with the club for almost the entire Marvin Lewis era.

Defensive end Robert Geathers, an 11-season veteran, was released on Friday, the club announced.

The 31-year-old Geathers recorded 325 tackles and 34 sacks for Cincinnati, which drafted him in Round Four in 2004. Though a starter for most of his Bengals career, Geathers was a reserve a season ago, notching 21 tackles and a sack. He was set to make $2.85 million in salary in 2015, according to the NFL Players Association.

According to the Bengals, only Tim Krumrie and Eddie Edwards have played more games as defensive linemen for Cincinnati than Geathers, who made 152 regular-season appearances.

The Bengals also released veteran wideout Greg Little, who played six games with club in 2014, catching six passes for 69 yards. Little, 25, has caught 161 passes for 1,890 yards and eight touchdowns since entering the NFL with Cleveland in 2011.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Washington cuts Barry Cofield after signing Ricky Jean Francois

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 27, 2015, 1:38 PM EST

The rolls of free agents are becoming swollen with released veterans, with teams purging before they binge.

According to agent Mike McCartney, Washington has informed defensive tackle Barry Cofield of his release.

Cutting the 30-year-old Cofield will save Washington more than $4 million worth of cap room this year, in addition to the $4.55 million in base salary he was due this year.

After signing Ricky Jean Francois last night, Cofield became expendable, but should find work elsewhere.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Darnell Dockett released by Cardinals
Updated: February 27, 2015, 5:58 PM ET
By Josh Weinfuss | ESPN.com
449261COMMENTS110EMAILPRINT
COMMENTS110
EMAIL
PRINT
InsiderSUBSCRIBE

Cardinals Release Darnell Dockett

Mark Schlereth, Jeff Saturday and Herm Edwards react to the news that the Cardinals have released DT Darnell Dockett.
Tags: NFL, Darnell Dockett, Arizona Cardinals
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Darnell Dockett's 11-year run with the Arizona Cardinals ended Friday when the team released him.

More from ESPN.com
Darnell Dockett, released by the Cardinals, will find out if others think he's worth what he does in the next few weeks, writes Josh Weinfuss. Story

The 33-year-old defensive tackle was entering the final year of his contract. His release saves the Cardinals $6.8 million in cap space with free agency starting in less than two weeks. He was scheduled to earn $6.8 million this season with a $9.8 million cap hit.

"We have been very clear about our feelings for Darnell and our desire to have him back," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said in a statement Friday. "After speaking with him and his representatives, we decided that this move today makes the most sense for both the team and the player and allows each to keep all of its options open."

Dockett missed all of the 2014 season after tearing his ACL during training camp last August. He played in 158 games as a Cardinal, amassing 462 tackles, 41 sacks and four interceptions since getting drafted in the third round of the 2004 draft and was a three-time Pro Bowler selection.

During his rehabilitation, Dockett has used Twitter as a means to update his progress, tweeting five days ago that he's predicting he'll be named the NFL's comeback player of the year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know Dockett is old but I could see him still having a year or two a dominance left in the tank.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It's starting to look like there will be some interesting veteran players available, anybody got any insight to how Hawk would look in a 4-3?

I am talking veteran depth possibly replacing Durrant.

I think this team is at the point where you can add some vets to the mix for leadership and mentoring.
As good as he was considered coming out, he is considered a major liability in GB now. Especially in pass coverage.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
4-24-04, my wedding day.

Went into the ceremony knowing that Jackson was falling to us.

Found out later that evening that they'd traded the pick.

Worst day of my life.
Weddings can suck. I completely understand! :buddy :tippytoe

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know Dockett is old but I could see him still having a year or two a dominance left in the tank.
Not our style though.

I have to admit, I like the player and he has a lot of "dawg" in him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not our style though.

I have to admit, I like the player and he has a lot of "dawg" in him.
Yeah I can't see Dallas going for a 33 year old free agent. I really like the player though. Just has been such a force and was still a force right up until this last injury.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Unless they overpaid him I think this is a good signing. They need a smart, veteran guy on a team that was in it for the division for a while last year. This makes it clear who is going to start and that Manziel is going to redshirt and he'll have to prove his commitment to keeping his shit together off the field before they give him a shot on the field. OTOH, this isn't a move that keeps them from giving Manziel a shot next year or late in the season.

Cotton

Staff member
Bills opt against tagging Jerry Hughes

Posted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2015, 5:22 PM EST

Jerry Hughes broke out after coming to the Bills in a trade before the 2013 season, but back-to-back 10-sack seasons weren’t enough to convince the Bills to use a franchise or transition tag on the edge rusher Monday.

While the Giants and Chiefs chose to use the franchise tag, which comes with a $14.8 million salary, to hold onto Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Houston, respectively, Buffalo will move toward the start of free agency next week with no claim on Hughes’s services. They still have exclusive negotiating rights with Hughes through next Saturday, when a three-day window opens for teams to talk to the agents of impending free agents.

A deal could be struck between now and then and reports from Buffalo are that the Bills are working hard to strike a deal. With the start of free agency so close, though, it makes sense for Hughes, who is No. 9 on PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents, to hear what other teams are willing to offer him with two of the top pass rushers all but off the market.

Greg Hardy, Jason Worilds, Pernell McPhee, Brandon Graham and Brian Orakpo are some of the other pass-rushing options still ticketed for free agency next week.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member