Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not to mention the fact that Romo's ridiculous contract makes him untouchable for at least 3 more seasons.
That's not true.

I think the fact is he becomes cheaper to dump than to keep as soon as what... next year?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
At least the NFLN lets whiny Mayock speak all the time; Kiper hardly gets a word in.
It's a shame. Ray Lewis and Jon Gruden are idiots, they aren't even interesting. Who the hell is in the focus groups that rates those guys positively over Mel?

I like whoever said last night "Jon Gruden is trying to ensure he never gets hired for an NFL job again, he must like TV too much."

Because he comes off as a complete clown.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Martin is one of my favorite prospects in the draft so I am very happy with the pick, I think this selection solidifies what will be one of the best, if not the best OL in the league. It might not be that quality this year, but I think starting a year or two from now we will have a top 3-5 OL in the league for 5+ years.

The key now is to properly utilize what will be a dominant unit, when we get leads we need to grind out games on the ground. When we get in the red zone we need to pound it in, we can't be bullshitting around, passing the ball 40 times a game.

Now, that may not happen until Romo and/or Garrett are gone, but that won't be too long from now either way so whatever.

At any rate, we may regret passing on Manziel if he ends up being a franchise QB, although there is no way of knowing if he could have became that playing under what would have been circus-like circumstances, but I don't think we will ever regret taking Martin.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Listening to fans and media slam the Martin pick is comical.

Seems that people are mainly calling it a bad pick since we didn't go defense.

Do people not realize there are still 6 rounds of the draft remaining? We could very well land two quality defensive players today.

They act as if the Cowboys failed miserably just because they didn't go defense with the first pick.

If Sunday rolls around and we haven't done anything to help the defense go ahead and slam the Cowboys. But until then please STFU.

D

Deuce

Listening to fans and media slam the Martin pick is comical.

Seems that people are mainly calling it a bad pick since we didn't go defense.

Do people not realize there are still 6 rounds of the draft remaining? We could very well land two quality defensive players today.

They act as if the Cowboys failed miserably just because they didn't go defense with the first pick.

If Sunday rolls around and we haven't done anything to help the defense go ahead and slam the Cowboys. But until then please STFU.
Ya, ridiculously stupid. Greenberg this morning kept saying "Dallas didn't have a bad draft cause they didn't fill a need in the first round as long as they do later".

Uhhh, moron...we still have a huge need at OL and this solidifies one of the spots.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Is it safe to say the worst draft move of the night was Cleveland trading up for Gilbert?

D

Deuce

Is it safe to say the worst draft move of the night was Cleveland trading up for Gilbert?
Not to me. Miami taking a 3rd round OT and Philly getting (although he was a big time pet cat for me) a 3rd or 4th round DE are both bigger reaches to me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well one of the worst moves was taking Gilbert. What did they pay to move from 9 to 8, though? A fifth?

They got such a deal moving from 4 to 9 that a small trade up can be forgiven. Who they took is what is dumb.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'd say getting next years 1st for dropping down nullifies whatever reach it was moving back up a spot

1bigfan13

Staff member
Martin is one of my favorite prospects in the draft so I am very happy with the pick, I think this selection solidifies what will be one of the best, if not the best OL in the league. It might not be that quality this year, but I think starting a year or two from now we will have a top 3-5 OL in the league for 5+ years.

The key now is to properly utilize what will be a dominant unit, when we get leads we need to grind out games on the ground. When we get in the red zone we need to pound it in, we can't be bullshitting around, passing the ball 40 times a game.

Now, that may not happen until Romo and/or Garrett are gone, but that won't be too long from now either way so whatever.

At any rate, we may regret passing on Manziel if he ends up being a franchise QB, although there is no way of knowing if he could have became that playing under what would have been circus-like circumstances, but I don't think we will ever regret taking Martin.
I hear you. I feel like we have to part ways with Garrett and Romo to maximize the potential of this OL.

With Romo and Garrett running the offense I foresee the OL being turned into a bunch of passive pass protectors instead of a group that could be a strength and wear teams down over the course of a game.

We all know the track record of those two. We've seen them refuse to run the ball with big leads and RBs averaging over 6 ypc. So we know it takes an act of God for them to run the ball with any sort of conviction.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
NFL Radio just said something about Cowboys insiders talking about using next years picks to get extra picks in rounds 2 and 3. Named that Sullybaldhead dude as one. Saying this is such a talent rich draft, and next years being down.

Not really sure how I feel about that. I hate giving up picks from next year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Depends on who it is for but if it's a guy like Ealy, Jernigan, Lawrence or Crichton, I could get behind that. A WR or CB?

No thanks.

D

Deuce

Depends on who it is for but if it's a guy like Ealy, Jernigan, Lawrence or Crichton, I could get behind that. A WR or CB?

No thanks.
I would take Lee without question if he falls all the way to 47. I don't see him doing that but I wouldn't just dismiss him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would take Lee without question if he falls all the way to 47. I don't see him doing that but I wouldn't just dismiss him.
Agreed but he's pretty much the only one who I'd pass up those guys I listed for.

1bigfan13

Staff member
NFL Radio just said something about Cowboys insiders talking about using next years picks to get extra picks in rounds 2 and 3. Named that Sullybaldhead dude as one. Saying this is such a talent rich draft, and next years being down.

Not really sure how I feel about that. I hate giving up picks from next year.
We seem to overpay in the majority of our trades so I hope this is just another baseless rumor.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cincy made out with a better player at 24. Spending the 8th pick on a position you could have met 15 picks later basically cancels their rape of the Bills for that extra 1st.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I like Lee. But would absolutely hate the fact we missed on helping the defense again. I'd either make the pick of defense, or maybe trade down with a team that covets Lee. He's a good WR, but a desperate need has to be looked at too. Especially when the talent that matches it is more than worthy of the pick.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerruh: TOny has everything to do with this decision of passing on Manziel. We have big commitment to Tony Romo and anything we look at for QB is down the road and for the development of that QB. Giving up this type of player (Martin) and what he could do for Tony Romo didn't make sense. John Madden said to me that "Jerry, Cowboys have all the flash and visibility you could ever conjure up. Make the decisions on players/coaches that win the games. You don't need flash to be successfull in the NFL." I've always remembered that and, frankly, was never a thought. Flair, flash, show biz was never a factor here.
No problem with passing on JFF, but regardless of the QB prospect we are tied to Romo thanks to the ludicre contract JJ gave him 2 years ago. I had doubts Romo would ever win big with us in his prime, but now on his downside with a bad back, oh yeah, looking forward to seeing him QB the next 3-4 years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

No thanks.
Ealy would be great value, but he'll be gone. A good WR can still be had in the 4th (though cutting it close)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom