Bill O’Brien agrees to interview with Houston Texans

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Penn State coach Bill O’Brien agees to interview with Houston Texans

Posted by Kevin McGuire on December 26, 2013, 7:41 PM EST
APPenn State head coach Bill O’Brien is taking the first step to evaluating his options for 2014.
According to NFL.com’s Ian Rappaport, O’Brien has agreed to interview with the Texans about the vacant head coaching position. Not surprisingly, O’Brien is being considered one of the top candidates for the job.
The O’Brien-to-NFL theme seems to be picking up steam every day with a number of NFL coaching jobs now available, but Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk does not seem to think it is an automatic given that he leaves Penn State. O’Brien has the mentality needed by an NFL coach and he has the experience to make the move after two years as a head coach of a notable program through unprecedented sanctions. If he can handle the situation he has dealt with in State College, whatever challenges that would await in the NFL would likely seem like nothing by comparison.
The buyout clause is certainly not the deterring factor it may have once been, and O’Brien has certainly earned an opportunity to explore all of his options. O’Brien has said before that the highest level of the profession of a football coach is in the NFL, and his statements have hinted that it would be something he would be interested in pursuing.
Does he leave Penn State now? Who knows. It is not likely O’Brien will leave Penn State for just any job in the NFL, but the Houston job is an interesting fit with a young quarterback in Case Keenum on the roster (if O’Brien can make Matt McGloin an NFL starter, what could he do with Keenum?) and a team that should be ready to make a quick turnaround in 2014 after a disappointing 2013 season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know if this guy is worth the money it would take to buy out his PSU contract.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
What are the freaking odds that Houston rolls with Keenum instead of selecting Bridgewater. I know they picked Mario Williams over Radio and Insolent Hair but I don't think they are against picking a QB.

D

Deuce

I don't know if this guy is worth the money it would take to buy out his PSU contract.
It was drastically lowered a week ago. Previously his buyout was around $16M, now I think it's around 4.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What are the freaking odds that Houston rolls with Keenum instead of selecting Bridgewater. I know they picked Mario Williams over Radio and Insolent Hair but I don't think they are against picking a QB.
I don't like Bridgewater as the #1 pick. I think they'd be better off trading that pick and addressing the QB position later.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think when it is all said and done Bortles will go 1st overall if he shows well during the lead up to the combine. He's the most prototypical QB prospect in terms of size, arm strength and such, if he interviews well and has a strong Pro Day I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go 1st.

D

Deuce

I think when it is all said and done Bortles will go 1st overall if he shows well during the lead up to the combine. He's the most prototypical QB prospect in terms of size, arm strength and such, if he interviews well and has a strong Pro Day I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go 1st.
I've seen enough of him to think he'll interview well and I think he'll be solid at the combine. I think what he really needs to do is show up well in the Fiesta Bowl. Baylor's D is solid but he's had some slow starts in some games which causes him to press a little until he gets into a groove. If he flames out on the national stage, he might not have the momentum heading into April.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've seen enough of him to think he'll interview well and I think he'll be solid at the combine. I think what he really needs to do is show up well in the Fiesta Bowl. Baylor's D is solid but he's had some slow starts in some games which causes him to press a little until he gets into a groove. If he flames out on the national stage, he might not have the momentum heading into April.
Yea definitely, he needs a big game on that stage to go 1st overall.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was drastically lowered a week ago. Previously his buyout was around $16M, now I think it's around 4.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind...he was pretty good when on Gailey's staff at Georgia Tech. I just do not think Jerry Jones is going to buy out a college contract unless it is someone he "knows". Like Les Miles or something.

D

Deuce

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind...he was pretty good when on Gailey's staff at Georgia Tech. I just do not think Jerry Jones is going to buy out a college contract unless it is someone he "knows". Like Les Miles or something.
Or better yet, a college coach he knows that he doesn't have to buy out at all!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sounds like they are close to a deal.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Penn St is going to have a hard time for a long time.

D

Deuce

Penn St is going to have a hard time for a long time.
I don't think so. Only 2 years left of scholarship restrictions and bowl bans, but their recruiting has still been solid. A very good, young QB to work with helps too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is not a done deal per some of the "insider" talking heads.

They claim the Texans search firm uncovered some stuff on him that "gives them pause". Supposedly Whisenhunt is on the radar but they have to wait for the end of the Chargers' season.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think so. Only 2 years left of scholarship restrictions and bowl bans, but their recruiting has still been solid. A very good, young QB to work with helps too.
Just don't see it as an attractive job anymore.

Top Bottom