MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Whoa...Rangers 7 years with Choo.
Rangers caved. Once Tanaka decision was done knew they would move on him or Cruz. Never thought they would go 7 though.

Rev

Staff member
7 years for 130 mil?

Holy shit. Rangers got raped.
Hard to know where to go with this one. Wasnt a big fan of Choo at 100 million like the rumors at the beginning of the offseason. Im trying to channel some LT and wait and see approach but its hard.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As frugal as teams have postured themselves as the money this offseason has been crazy. Ellsbury and Choo in particular were way too much. Even the Mets had to overpay for Granderson and Colon...all teams overpaid...but the market is what it is.

Rev

Staff member
Just like all other sports you have to overpay in free agency. They were a bat short and at least they addressed the on base percentage problem that they had last season. Cruz was a favorite of mine but looks like he is the odd man out. Unless he wants to play for peanuts and DH. Im guessing he is headed to Baltimore.

D

Deuce

Just like all other sports you have to overpay in free agency. They were a bat short and at least they addressed the on base percentage problem that they had last season. Cruz was a favorite of mine but looks like he is the odd man out. Unless he wants to play for peanuts and DH. Im guessing he is headed to Baltimore.
I would have definitely met Cruz's recent demands to stay in RF than give that money/years to Choo.

dallen

Senior Tech
I would have definitely met Cruz's recent demands to stay in RF than give that money/years to Choo.
The problem with Cruz is you have to wonder how much those PEDs were improving his performance. He was a AAAA player into his late 20's then all of a sudden finally makes a huge leap... I like Cruz, and I know they overpaid for Choo, but there would have been a lot of risk in committing those kind of resources to Cruz at this time. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am all aboard the Soo Choo Train.

D

Deuce

The problem with Cruz is you have to wonder how much those PEDs were improving his performance. He was a AAAA player into his late 20's then all of a sudden finally makes a huge leap... I like Cruz, and I know they overpaid for Choo, but there would have been a lot of risk in committing those kind of resources to Cruz at this time. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am all aboard the Soo Choo Train.
Wouldn't AAAA be the same as the majors?

dallen

Senior Tech
AAAA is shorthand for better than a AAA player but not ready for the majors. Cruz tore up AAA for years but could never break into the majors

dallen

Senior Tech
Court docs: Texas Rangers' Leonys Martin victim in ransom plot; outfielder suing for return of $1.3 million

Associated Press
Published: 21 December 2013 03:48 PM
Updated: 21 December 2013 03:58 PM

MIAMI — Like many Cuban baseball stars, outfielder Leonys Martin dreamed of leaving the communist island for the bright lights and big money of Major League Baseball. Martin accomplished his goal in 2011 when he signed with the Texas Rangers, but not before what court documents and the Justice Department describe as a harrowing ordeal in which he was held for ransom in Mexico while his family members were kept under surveillance in South Florida.
Three people have been indicted in Miami on federal charges of hostage-taking and extortion conspiracy — counts that carry potential life prison sentences if they are convicted — and Martin himself is suing his alleged kidnappers for the return of more than $1.3 million he has already paid them.
Andrew Zimbalist, a Smith College professor who specializes in sports economics, said the Martin case appears unique.
"I have never heard of a kidnapping case like this," Zimbalist said.
Many Cubans have defected over the years to play ball in the U.S., including such current stars as Cincinnati Reds pitcher Aroldis Chapman, Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig and Oakland Athletics outfielder Yoenis Cespedes. In September, the Cuban government reversed decades of policy by announcing that its athletes will be allowed to sign contracts to compete in foreign leagues without defecting.
Compared to the vast majority of immigrants, Cubans get unique treatment by the U.S. government under the "wet foot, dry foot" policy that came about during the Cold War. Cubans who reach U.S. soil are generally allowed to stay in this country, while those intercepted outside the U.S. are sent back home.
Martin, 25, a speedy center fielder for the Rangers, made his MLB debut in September 2011. Last season, in 147 games, he hit .260 with 49 runs batted in and 36 stolen bases. Martin and his attorney, Paul Minoff, declined comment for this story, as did the Rangers and MLB officials, citing the ongoing litigation.
A few years before joining Texas, Martin was a rising star in Cuba, traveling to baseball tournaments around the globe with the national team. After an August 2010 tournament in Japan, according to his lawsuit, he decided to leave for the U.S.
He and several family members and friends made contact with a man who offered them a trip from Cuba on a yacht to Cancun, Mexico. From there, they could eventually cross by land into the U.S. But instead of journeying directly north, they were taken to a house lined inside with mattresses and watched by two armed men, one of them identified as Eliezer Lazo.
"You are worth a lot," Lazo told Martin, according to the lawsuit. "I am not going to let you go."
Lazo is one of the three people charged criminally in the Miami federal indictment. He is currently serving more than five years in federal prison in Mississippi for money laundering and other crimes related to South Florida health care fraud scam. Lazo has not yet entered a plea in the Martin case and court records do not show a lawyer for him.
Eventually, Martin and other unidentified Cuban players were taken to a compound called "The Ranch" near Monterrey, Mexico, where they were supposed to train. Martin's family and friends were taken across the U.S. border at Laredo, Texas, and put on a bus to Miami where they would live for five months in a townhouse owned by Lazo, according to the lawsuit.
In Mexico, there was a nearby baseball field where the players would train and play games before U.S. scouts, and Martin was introduced to another man he was told would be his agent. He was also told he had to sign a contract with an entity linked to Lazo called Estrellas del Beisbol (Baseball Stars) in which he promised to pay 30 percent of any future salary or bonuses — well above the 5 percent players typically pay.
"Martin had no choice but to sign it (as did the other players with him) considering that they were all being held hostage," Martin's lawsuit says.
Even though Martin did eventually pay Estrellas del Beisbol $1.35 million, the Mexican-based entity claimed in a 2012 lawsuit that Martin wasn't living up to this contract. In his lawsuit, Martin claims it should be declared void because he signed it "under extreme fear and duress" and seeks return of his money.
Estrellas del Beisbol describes itself in court documents as "a baseball academy that cultivates and trains amateur baseball players who desire to play professional baseball in the United States." In reality, according to Martin's lawsuit, the company is a front for human smuggling and trafficking.
Two U.S.-based attorneys for Estrellas del Beisbol did not respond to emails this week seeking comment on Martin's allegations.
The federal indictment seeks forfeiture of the interests of Lazo and others in Estrellas del Beisbol as well as a bank account belonging to the company. Prosecutors also want money the company may have obtained through other baseball player contracts.

link

Tony D

DCC 4Life
AAAA is shorthand for better than a AAA player but not ready for the majors. Cruz tore up AAA for years but could never break into the majors
You've never heard that used before Deuce? Come on! Dallen is correct. Usually a AAAA is never ready for the majors. Tears up AAA and goes tot he majors and can't hack it. Gets sent back down and tears up AAA and may never get another shot.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Rangers caved. Once Tanaka decision was done knew they would move on him or Cruz. Never thought they would go 7 though.
Tanaka decision is not done yet...or at least I hope so. Nothing official.

Rev

Staff member
You've never heard that used before Deuce? Come on! Dallen is correct. Usually a AAAA is never ready for the majors. Tears up AAA and goes tot he majors and can't hack it. Gets sent back down and tears up AAA and may never get another shot.
That's what the Rangers thought they had in Chris Davis.....

D

Deuce

Sorry, prior to '08 Rays fans didn't have a cool nickname for underachievers who were great in AAA. We just called them Rays.

Rev

Staff member
Glad this posting system has changed when it did and not a few years earlier. We wouldnt have Yu if it did.

Rev

Staff member
Here you go Ed......

David Kaplan of CSNChicago tweeted that an industry source told him, “Cubs will not be outbid on Tanaka.” and think that the Cubs will be the team offering Tanaka the most money.

That same source told Kaplan that, “convincing Tanaka to come to Chicago will be hard.” I get it, the Cubs have been terrible for the past few seasons. He wants to come to MLB and play for a winning organization. That is where teams like the Yankees and Dodgers, who will also pay huge for Tanaka, have the upper hand.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/1...De1WFYK2lXU.99

Rev

Staff member
Kapler: I recently spoke to an international scout familiar with Tanaka’s value who suggested that the contract negotiations will start at six years and $100M. A GM told me that he expects Tanaka to grab a contract in the neighborhood of six years and $105M. Add in the $20M posting fee and it’s a $125M spend for the team that ends up landing his services.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/k...ing-war-122613

Japanese sabermetric analysis suggests Tanaka’s first year in major: 16 wins, 9 losses , 3.90 ERA.

http://news.ameba.jp/20131227-191/

Top Bottom