Sabin: Draft more than a week away and Hardy already having an impact for Cowboys

D

Deuce

Oh come on now. Everyone says the OL can make the most meager back look like Elroy Hirsch.
If everyone thought that, there would be no need to get another back. We already have it in Randle. What's been said is you can get quality later which is true.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If everyone thought that, there would be no need to get another back. We already have it in Randle. What's been said is you can get quality later which is true.
Exactly. We don't necessarily have to have an elite back to get elite production because of the offensive line but that shouldn't be confused with any back will do. Still need a good back. Inevitably even with perfect blocking there is still going to be a tackle for the back to break or a defender to make miss.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, the half we don't care about.

Of the top 10, just 2/10 were drafted after the 3rd round. Drafting a RB high isn't a guarantee, but there is definitely a correlation between the first three rounds and the best production.
Bingo. Crock said "franchise backs" then pretends every starter in the NFL is one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bingo. Crock said "franchise backs" then pretends every starter in the NFL is one.
:lol

So the top 10 rushers don't count? Even though half of them come from the third or later? The top rusher was a third rounder. A couple of the top rushers in the NFL in terms of yards over the last few years are Jamaal Charles and Arian Foster (Both third round or later). So yeah, a shit ton of the "franchise backs" come from after the first two rounds. Of course the term franchise back is pretty out dated. It certainly doesn't mean what it used to.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
:lol

So the top 10 rushers don't count? Even though half of them come from the third or later? The top rusher was a third rounder. A couple of the top rushers in the NFL in terms of yards over the last few years are Jamaal Charles and Arian Foster (Both third round or later). So yeah, a shit ton of the "franchise backs" come from after the first two rounds. Of course the term franchise back is pretty out dated. It certainly doesn't mean what it used to.
You said MOST, not half. Meanwhile a plurality come from round two (4 out of 5) and 8 out of 10 were picked ahead of where we pick in the 3rd. So do you have a point, or do you acknowledge that there's about a 20% chance that there's a 1000 yard back available after we pick in the bottom of the second?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um no there is a way greater chance then 20% that a back is there after our second round pick worthy of 1000 yards. I'd say it's more like 100%.

You jump from a conclusion about who will be there with our third round pick but for some reason fail to realize there are a bunch of picks after our second rounder but before our third rounder. I was never talking specifically about weather the Cowboys should wait until the third round to draft a RB but if you're that concerned about how late we pick in the third then just trade up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You said MOST,
Sure go down to the top 11 backs then. Suddenly you have 6 out of 11 which would technically be most. Hell Alfred Morris is more of a franchise back then a lot of the one year wonders above him on that list.

Point being the third round and later of the draft holds a lot of the NFL's top rushing talent.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Sure go down to the top 11 backs then. Suddenly you have 6 out of 11 which would technically be most. Hell Alfred Morris is more of a franchise back then a lot of the one year wonders above him on that list.

Point being the third round and later of the draft holds a lot of the NFL's top rushing talent.
Still 8 of 11 were picked before we pick in the 3rd.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still 8 of 11 were picked before we pick in the 3rd.
OK, but I wasn't talking about the Cowboys third round pick. I was just referring to the third round period.

If you want to talk specifically about this draft I'd say we are dealing with an exceptionally deep RB class. Meaning even if most years it's hard to get a franchise back in the late third, this draft specifically it will be much easier. Ultimately what the Cowboys could do is skip RB with the first 2 picks and then see who is still left at the top of the third. If the class starts to dry up, then move up from our current position in the third round and snag a guy. If not then just stay put and get someone who falls to our pick. I'm not overly concern about sacrificing a fifth round pick or something like that to move up in the third because the odds of finding a franchise anything in the fifth round are slim at best.

This isn't your average run of the mill RB class.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
OK, but I wasn't talking about the Cowboys third round pick. I was just referring to the third round period.

If you want to talk specifically about this draft I'd say we are dealing with an exceptionally deep RB class. Meaning even if most years it's hard to get a franchise back in the late third, this draft specifically it will be much easier. Ultimately what the Cowboys could do is skip RB with the first 2 picks and then see who is still left at the top of the third. If the class starts to dry up, then move up from our current position in the third round and snag a guy. If not then just stay put and get someone who falls to our pick. I'm not overly concern about sacrificing a fifth round pick or something like that to move up in the third because the odds of finding a franchise anything in the fifth round are slim at best.

This isn't your average run of the mill RB class.
Scheme fit and pro readiness are going to be factors. I don't mind spending a second on the right guy rather than just taking the last premium RB left on the board.

Top Bottom