Jones: I’m going to do things in the weeks ahead to get the Dallas Cowboys more wins

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: I’m going to do things in the weeks ahead to get the Dallas Cowboys more wins
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
1:15 pm on December 31, 2013 | Permalink

The Dallas Cowboys lost five games by a total of eight points this season. To Jerry Jones, that means the team is close to being a Super Bowl contender.

Part of what Jones does after a disappointing year is find ways to spread hope to the team’s fan base. He did that Tuesday morning on a few occasions.

The Cowboys suffered one-point losses to Kansas City, Detroit and Green Bay, a two-point loss to Philadelphia and a three-point loss to Denver. With some improvement, Jones sees those as games Dallas can win in the future.

“I’d like to see how many games we could win if we can compete the way we competed the other night against Philadelphia,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “I think we can have better players on the field than we had against Philadelphia. I think if we can compete with the kind of effort that we made then we’ll have a chance to win a lot of ballgames next year.

“Now, we didn’t win that ballgame and I’m not as disappointed in the game and that specific outcome as I am what happened because of the outcome, which means that we had to go home and we couldn’t play in the playoffs. But if we can compete at the level that we competed this year against teams like Denver — I think we lost five games by eight or nine points — if we can compete at that level, then we’ll have a chance to win more games than we won this year.”

So how does Jones plan on getting the Cowboys over the hump?

Well, by building off the changes that were made entering this season. That means, adding players that fit the 4-3 defensive scheme and possibly upgrading the protection in front of Tony Romo.

“We won’t have the changes that we had last year in the coaching staff area,” Jones said. “We made some philosophical changes this year with Romo and his influence that he has in the offense. We made some changes regarding the philosophy of the defense. We need to practice that. We need to improve that to the extent that we can add personnel, which we certainly can through the draft, and possibly we’ll have a chance to do something in the free agency effort to the extent we can add to what our players have already learned in the system of Monte Kiffin, which is the 4-3, simplistically put, to the extent that we can continue to develop this offensive line, maybe add to it.

“We just got to see where the draft comes and just see what the situation is in free agency. We got a chance to be better. That’s the plan. By the way, we were working on this plan before we played the other night. This is a thought process we’ve been going through for several weeks.”

Jones reiterated that he’s “big time committed” to Romo and says he thinks the Cowboys are going to benefit from what Jason Garrett has learned since becoming head coach in 2010.

“He’s got some fundamental things that are outstanding,” Jones said of Garrett. “He’s the kind of coach that really gets a lot of respect from his players and he has them competing. We just need to compete at a better level so that we can have more success than we have right now.

“I’m not at all satisfied. But the bottom line is, in my judgments, the better way for us to get to where we’re trying to go, which is more wins, playoffs and beyond, is to do the things you’re going to see me do and us do over the next weeks ahead.”

Jones never elaborated on what those “things” will be.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Heads going to roll.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Dallas Cowboys lost five games by a total of eight points this season. To Jerry Jones, that means the team is close to being a Super Bowl contender.
:lol

“I’d like to see how many games we could win if we can compete the way we competed the other night against Philadelphia,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM].
Just a wild guess here...8?

Cotton

Staff member
We easily could have lost the Redskins, Vikings, and both Giants games. But, I guess it doesn't go both ways.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
HOME
Arizona
Houston
Indianapolis
New Orleans
New York
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

AWAY
Chicago
Jacksonville - Wembley Stadium in London
New York
Philadelphia
St. Louis
Seattle
Tennessee
Washington

I don't see 8 wins next year, closer to 5 or 6

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Here's a way to get the team more wins: fire yourself, hire a real GM, fire Goof Son as cap guru, allow the GM to handle that, and let the GM fire the coach and bring in a competent staff.

And then, stay the fuck out of the way and stop placing yourself ahead of the team.

Cotton

Staff member
Here's a way to get the team more wins: fire yourself, hire a real GM, fire Goof Son as cap guru, allow the GM to handle that, and let the GM fire the coach and bring in a competent staff.

And then, stay the fuck out of the way and stop placing yourself ahead of the team.
You forget, he openly admits the stadium is more important than winning to him.

GShock

DCC 4Life
HOME
Arizona
Houston
Indianapolis
New Orleans
New York
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

AWAY
Chicago
New York
Philadelphia
St. Louis
Seattle
Tennessee
Washington

That just looks to be brutal.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wait, he says they didn't compete enough until the final game, which is a huge indictment of the coaching staff, but is bring the HC back again? Who's fault is it that they didn't compete hard enough until the last game?

Genghis Khan

I agree with that, too. The effort they brought against the Eagles week 17 was excellent, and far above what they'd shown for about 6 or 8 weeks prior. Inexcusable.

I also think the team was more prepared for the last Eagles game than any other game under Garrett's tenure as HC. They actually looked like they'd studied their opponent on both sides of the ball. I was impressed.

But then I was left wondering where this shit has been all along.

Genghis Khan

HOME
Arizona
Houston
Indianapolis
New Orleans
New York
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

AWAY
Chicago
New York
Philadelphia
St. Louis
Seattle
Tennessee
Washington

I could see 8 wins if everything breaks right.

That said, teams change so much from year to year that it's an exercise in futility to make any such predictions right now. Who the hell knows who will be good next year.

Cotton

Staff member
We know what we will be.

Genghis Khan

It fills me with a strange mixture of rage and sadness to sit here knowing that next year is a lost cause, too, because the stupid GM won't do the right thing about the stupid coach.

Genghis Khan

We know what we will be.
That we do.

It's funny to think back to the preseason prediction thread. Somebody (I forget who, but it doesn't matter) was complaining that so many people predicted 8 wins. Too easy or something. No that's just who we are.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Its like every year we do the same thing over and over again. I was born in 82 so I didn't see the 80s and caught my first game as a 7 year old in 89. Has there ever been a period when the boys were this hopeless?

data

Forbes #1
Jerry Jones: I’m going to do things in the weeks ahead to get the Dallas Cowboys more wins

:lol

If it were that easy, Jerry, why didn't you do them for the last 17 years?

data

Forbes #1
Its like every year we do the same thing over and over again. I was born in 82 so I didn't see the 80s and caught my first game as a 7 year old in 89. Has there ever been a period when the boys were this hopeless?
Nope. Not even as an expansion team.

Top Bottom