Will Tony Romo even be active Sunday?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You know I remember some bad Tom Brady games. There was one when he threw 4 picks against KC.

There have also been some bad Peyton Manning games. His 5 nit game versus the Chargers comes to mind.

Hell Aaron Rodgers wasn't playing like himself for nearly half this season.

My point is that all Qbs have bad games and to cherry pick a few and use them as some sort of validation that your pet Qb is better is bullshit.
Bingo.

Genghis Khan

I think Tony's back is healed actually. I think he has a Peyton Manning post surgery 3-4 year run in him possibly.

It would make zero sense to bank on that which is why it would be so important for us, or Denver for example, to have found a Dak Prescott or Paxton Lynch and have them waiting in the wings, because when guys are that old it can end at literally any time, but I also would have let him play if I thought he was healthy and the better QB when healthy (which I did). Moot now obviously.
Yep, correct on all counts.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep, correct on all counts.
Right. Romo shouldn't have any problems with his back. The vertebra is healed and the other procedures were not structure injuries. His collarbone has healed so he is ready to go. Whether he is reinjured will depend largely on the OL but that is true across the league. Fans have become sponges for dished out media yap shows.

townsend

Banned
I think Tony's back is healed actually. I think he has a Peyton Manning post surgery 3-4 year run in him possibly.

It would make zero sense to bank on that which is why it would be so important for us, or Denver for example, to have found a Dak Prescott or Paxton Lynch and have them waiting in the wings, because when guys are that old it can end at literally any time, but I also would have let him play if I thought he was healthy and the better QB when healthy (which I did). Moot now obviously.
I'd love to believe Tony's back is fine. I sure as hell hope Denver believes that. But we've had "Tony's back is better than ever" as a signature training camp fluff piece for the past several years. It pretty much replaced "Roy Williams in the best shape of his career" as the go to bullshit article.

Maybe spinal surgery has advanced further than I think, but I'd be really damn surprised if 2016 is the last time Romo sits out due to a back injury.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'd love to believe Tony's back is fine. I sure as hell hope Denver believes that. But we've had "Tony's back is better than ever" as a signature training camp fluff piece for the past several years. It pretty much replaced "Roy Williams in the best shape of his career" as the go to bullshit article.

Maybe spinal surgery has advanced further than I think, but I'd be really damn surprised if 2016 is the last time Romo sits out due to a back injury.
There are back problems and there back problems. All are not dehabitating or permanent. Based on what has been disclosed about Romo's issues ther isn't anything that is chronic.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There is nothing to indicate he hasn't made a full recovery and his injuries in that area were fully treatable.
I'm only laughing that some people say they want to believe Romo's back is fine when everything they say is exactly the opposite. They've staked their reputations that Romo is like fragile China.

He's not durable, but he's durable enough. The hit Romo took in Seattle was flukish. Romo's bones never have been strong, but that hit would have hurt just about anyone.

Tony's body might not last a full season, but for any single game he's clearly the best passer on the team.

townsend

Banned
It's funny to me how much the Romo faithful pretend that any criticism of him is from haters. Mindless fucking tribalism. You can like a player without crowning him a messiah, you can admit to a player's flaws, and still be fan. But the Ravids, and Genghises of the board can't take any criticism of Romo H. Christ.

If Dak was playing mediocre football, Romo would deservedly be the starter right now. Tom Brady was better than Drew Bledsoe. Aaron Rodgers was better than Brett Favre. Dak Prescott is better than Tony Romo. These are facts that do not diminish the accomplishments of former franchise QBs. It's just a matter of having a player who is able to lead a team to victory more frequently than their predecessor.

13 wins(most of any QB), 23 TDs. 4 int. 104.7 QB rating (3rd best behind Ryan and Brady). 282 yds rushing. 6 Rushing TDs. That's one of the most stellar stat lines in franchise history. Dak gives us the best chance to win because of how great a QB he is. Not because Tony is bad, Tony is just less consistent than a QB playing like an all-star.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's funny to me how much the Romo faithful pretend that any criticism of him is from haters. Mindless fucking tribalism. You can like a player without crowning him a messiah, you can admit to a player's flaws, and still be fan. But the Ravids, and Genghises of the board can't take any criticism of Romo H. Christ.

If Dak was playing mediocre football, Romo would deservedly be the starter right now. Tom Brady was better than Drew Bledsoe. Aaron Rodgers was better than Brett Favre. Dak Prescott is better than Tony Romo. These are facts that do not diminish the accomplishments of former franchise QBs. It's just a matter of having a player who is able to lead a team to victory more frequently than their predecessor.

13 wins(most of any QB), 23 TDs. 4 int. 104.7 QB rating (3rd best behind Ryan and Brady). 282 yds rushing. 6 Rushing TDs. That's one of the most stellar stat lines in franchise history. Dak gives us the best chance to win because of how great a QB he is. Not because Tony is bad, Tony is just less consistent than a QB playing like an all-star.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yep, the vast majority of us were and still are Romo fans. It's just that Dak is doing things Romo has never done before. Romo isn't above flaws and it doesn't make anyone a hater to point out some of those flaws.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There are back problems and there back problems. All are not dehabitating or permanent. Based on what has been disclosed about Romo's issues ther isn't anything that is chronic.
It has to be chronic they would not be giving him days off from practice every week or he would not look as bad as he does when he does not have the proper amount of rest as last seen in the 2014 Thanksgiving game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Bingo.....bingo what?

You actually agree with that post? If so, tell me why.

Because while Tony Romo has been a very good QB for his career, he was never in the elite category like those guys.

He isn't even in the same stratosphere as Brady, so that's a bad comparison.

He won't sniff any of Manning's records or his 4 Super Bowl appearances, so that's another poor example.

And I don't know a person with a half a brain who would pick Romo over Rodgers at any point in their respective careers.

Did I mention that all of those guys have won Super Bowls whereas Romo has never gotten past the 2nd round?

So why on earth would Romo warrant the same collateral or recognition as any of these all-time QB's and 1st ballot HOF'ers when he is neither of those things from both a talent nor accomplishment standpoint?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

My position isn't who should be the starter obviously Dak is the future. He just isn't as rounded yet as Romo. That shouldn't be difficult to grasp. If anyone thinks that Romo is washed up so be it but there is absolutely nothing to indicate that. He had a rash of injuries but seems to have that behind him now. His short appearence in the Philly game clearly shows he is still a savvy and experienced pro.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It has to be chronic they would not be giving him days off from practice every week or he would not look as bad as he does when he does not have the proper amount of rest as last seen in the 2014 Thanksgiving game.
That was during his rehab from the prior surgery. That was repaired and fixed. The last back problem was a cracked bone that is now healed.

Genghis Khan

Bingo.....bingo what?

You actually agree with that post? If so, tell me why.

Because while Tony Romo has been a very good QB for his career, he was never in the elite category like those guys.

He isn't even in the same stratosphere as Brady, so that's a bad comparison.

He won't sniff any of Manning's records or his 4 Super Bowl appearances, so that's another poor example.

And I don't know a person with a half a brain who would pick Romo over Rodgers at any point in their respective careers.

Did I mention that all of those guys have won Super Bowls whereas Romo has never gotten past the 2nd round?

So why on earth would Romo warrant the same collateral or recognition as any of these all-time QB's and 1st ballot HOF'ers when he is neither of those things from both a talent nor accomplishment standpoint?
You're completely missing the point, and ot comes across as a little dense honestly because the point is pretty obvious.

The point is NOT that Romo is comparable to Brady.

The point IS that to troll through about a dozen or so bad games of a 100 game career in which the rest of his performances range from good stellar is patently retarded and reeks of attempting to cherry pick outliers to fit a false narrative invented to justify deficient football acumen.

If you want to back that be my guest, but don't pretend that there's a quality point to be derived from it, because there isn't.

Again, if you want to say Dak's the hot hand so let's ride it, fine. If you want to say Dak's the future so let's play it out with him, fine. There are quality arguments to be made in Dak's favor. But to pretend that Romo's decade of quality quarterbacking doesn't exist simply to justify your love of dak is quite honestly pathetic. Saying, "hey remember those couple of times Romo didn't perform to his usual high standards?" is frankly pretty ignorant.

It's also pretty ignorant to ignore the fact that, no matter how good Dak becomes (and I think his ceiling is pretty high), he will also have games where you'll pretty much point to him as the main reason we lost. Same as Brady, Manning, Brees et al.

GASP! Did he just compare Dak to Brady, Brees and Manning?

No jackass, I didn't.

And THAT'S the God damn fucking point.

Cotton

Staff member
My position isn't who should be the starter obviously Dak is the future. He just isn't as rounded yet as Romo. That shouldn't be difficult to grasp. If anyone thinks that Romo is washed up so be it but there is absolutely nothing to indicate that. He had a rash of injuries but seems to have that behind him now. His short appearence in the Philly game clearly shows he is still a savvy and experienced pro.
There is absolutely no way to say this with any certainty.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

My, you're pretty sensitive about this subject, eh? Lots of anger coming from you on this.

You don't have to directly compare Romo to those guys in order to make the point which was made (which YOU obviously missed) which is that Romo should be given the same benefit of the doubt that those guys are and have been given because those guys have also had poor games in their careers.

But they are all bad examples because Romo does not warrant nor merit the same level of respect or the same benefit of the doubt that those all-timers do.

If that's not the point that was trying to be made, then why even bring those guys up?

If all he was trying to say was not to cherry pick his bad moments and make a hyperbolic claim that generalizes his career, then that's what he should have said. And for the record, I agree with that.

This discussion has idiotically gone on WAY longer than it should have because there is a group of Pro-Romo guys and Pro-Dak guys who keep arguing the same crap over and over with neither side being able to objectively view the other guy's strengths and weaknesses. Whether you want to admit it or not you're in the camp that can't give an honest assessment of Romo's flaws or his potential handicaps -- you just blindly think he's going to be better than Dak the minute he steps on the field, all of his questions, uncertainties, and recent history be damned.

I'm not here to argue either side, I just thought it was silly to suggest even in the slightest way that Romo warranted the same respect, patience, and expectations that 3 all-time HOF'ers did.

We could win the SB and some of you guys are still gonna be having this idiotic argument.

Get it over it already.

Cotton

Staff member
:lol

My, you're pretty sensitive about this subject, eh? Lots of anger coming from you on this.

You don't have to directly compare Romo to those guys in order to make the point which was made (which YOU obviously missed) which is that Romo should be given the same benefit of the doubt that those guys are and have been given because those guys have also had poor games in their careers.

But they are all bad examples because Romo does not warrant nor merit the same level of respect or the same benefit of the doubt that those all-timers do.

If that's not the point that was trying to be made, then why even bring those guys up?

If all he was trying to say was not to cherry pick his bad moments and make a hyperbolic claim that generalizes his career, then that's what he should have said. And for the record, I agree with that.

This discussion has idiotically gone on WAY longer than it should have because there is a group of Pro-Romo guys and Pro-Dak guys who keep arguing the same crap over and over with neither side being able to objectively view the other guy's strengths and weaknesses. Whether you want to admit it or not you're in the camp that can't give an honest assessment of Romo's flaws or his potential handicaps -- you just blindly think he's going to be better than Dak the minute he steps on the field, all of his questions, uncertainties, and recent history be damned.

I'm not here to argue either side, I just thought it was silly to suggest even in the slightest way that Romo warranted the same respect, patience, and expectations that 3 all-time HOF'ers did.

We could win the SB and some of you guys are still gonna be having this idiotic argument.

Get it over it already.
This brings up an interesting question. If we win the SB this year, does this debate stop, or could Tony have still done it better?

Top Bottom