Training Camp Thread...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
OXNARD, Calif. -- A breakdown of the Dallas Cowboys' 2016 draft class and its progress after two weeks of training camp.

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, first round: Elliott showed quickly in camp that he will be a big contributor as a rookie, but four practices in, his right hamstring tightened up and the Cowboys shut him down. They don't believe it is anything serious, but given how important he will be to their success, they don't want to take any chances.

Jaylon Smith, LB, second round: He is continuing his rehab from a serious knee injury suffered in January. By all accounts it is going well, but he will not play as a rookie. His recovery now is all about nerve regeneration.

Maliek Collins, DT, third round: He opened camp on the physically unable to perform list because of a broken foot suffered in the first organized team activity. The hope is he is able to practice soon and can get some preseason action.

Charles Tapper, DE, fourth round: He has been able to show flickers of pass-rush talent the Cowboys knew he had, but he has also been fairly stout against the run. Given the state of the line so far, he will get a chance to earn a big role in the rotation when the regular season starts.

Dak Prescott, QB, fourth round: When backup quarterback Kellen Mooresuffered a broken right fibula on Aug. 2, Prescott moved up the depth chart. The Cowboys are looking for veteran help, but in the meantime, Prescott is getting more snaps in camp than he could have imagined. He needs to make his decisions quicker and improve his accuracy, but the Cowboys believe that will come in time.

Anthony Brown, CB, sixth round: He had an interception of Tony Romoon the first day of practice, which has boosted his confidence. With Orlando Scandrick working into practice, Brown has gotten some first-team work in the nickel defense. Right now, he has the inside track for the fourth cornerback spot.

Kavon Frazier, S, sixth round: Things have been a little slow for him. There haven't been any notable pass breakups or hits, but I haven't noticed him get beat either. He will play a ton in the preseason, so he will have a chance to win one of the final defensive back spots.

Darius Jackson, RB, sixth round: With Elliott, Darren McFadden andLance Dunbar out with injuries, Jackson has gotten a lot of work with the second team. He has shown flashes of ability and seems to be a good decision-maker. He needs to work on his pass protection, like most rookies. Given the depth of the running back spot, there probably isn't enough room for him on the 53-man roster.

Rico Gathers, TE, sixth round: The Cowboys knew he would be a project as he made the conversion from basketball to football. He still has a long way to go. So far, the athleticism he showed in basketball has not appeared as much in practice, but some of that is because the game is so foreign to him. The goal now is to make the practice squad.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
OXNARD, Calif. -- Since he arrived in 2010, Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant has made a lot of "no he didn't just do that" catches.

He added one to the highlight reel in team drills on Thursday, making the most ridiculous of one-handed catches while blanketed inside by Brandon Carr and outside by Byron Jones.

At the snap, Bryant lined up in between Cole Beasley and tight end Jason Witten, who was near the sideline. Witten did not run a route, hoping to clear space for Bryant in the end zone. It worked a little bit, but Jones dropped off Witten as Tony Romo was letting go of the pass. Romo put the ball only where Bryant could get it, but there is no way he expected Bryant to grab it only with his left hand for the score.

Or maybe he did.

"The biggest thing for Dez is taking 'batting practice,'" coach Jason Garrett said. "He's capable of making those plays that you're talking about, but just like with all our players you have to get steeped in the fundamentals. For him it's getting in the right stance, releasing off the line of scrimmage, running routes the right way, coming out of his breaks, attacking the football and just doing the basic fundamentals."

On to the observations:

• LB Sean Lee did not take part in team drills. Garrett said the veteran was "working through some things." Lee, who had minor offseason knee surgery, is doubtful to play Saturday against the Los Angeles Rams. Orlando Scandrick(knee), who also didn't take part in team drills, is doubtful as well. Rookie DECharles Tapper did not practice because of lower-back stiffness. Safety Jeff Heath left practice early to be evaluated for a concussion.

• RB Alfred Morris has worked hard in the passing game and he showed some nifty moves in open space after taking a checkdown from Romo, spinning away from LB Justin Durant for extra yards.

• RB Darren McFadden, who is on the non-football injury list while recovering from a broken elbow, caught passes off to the side for one of the first times in camp. The hope is McFadden is back for the final week of the preseason and ready to play in Week 1.

-• Both of Dak Prescott's incompletions came on screen attempts to RB Darius Jackson. DT Zach Wood appeared to deflect the first attempt and LB Derek Akunne kept the second attempt from getting to Jackson.

• Backup OT Chaz Green did a nice job handling the rip, pull, rip move DE Mike McAdoo tried to throw at him in the compete period. Green had a good punch, stayed strong with his base and was able to win the drill.

• If you're into these kinds of things, take Jackson and Rod Smith and the over for carries on Saturday against the Rams. Morris is the only other tailback scheduled to play against Los Angeles.

Boston Stiverson is an offensive lineman by trade, but he showed some nice hands coming down with a deflected pass by DT Cedric Thornton. Stiverson even had some run after the catch. OK, it was like 3 yards.

• Rookie TE Rico Gathers had a tough start to routes-on-air drills. On his first attempt, he ran the wrong route. On the second route, he dropped the pass.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
OXNARD, Calif. -- The NFL has denied the Dallas Cowboys' request to wear the "Arm-in-Arm" decal on their helmets for Saturday’s preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams.

The Cowboys had unveiled the decal at an emotional start to their first padded practice of training camp, when they walked arm-in-arm on the field with Dallas police officials, including police chief David Brown, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings and the families of the police officers slain in the line of duty last month.

The Cowboys, who wear the decal on their helmets during training camp, knew they would not be able to wear the decal for the regular season but had hoped to wear it in the preseason.

“We certainly understand the position the league takes on this, but it won’t diminish our support for that concept of unity and supporting our police force and what they do to make our lives better on a daily basis,” coach Jason Garrett said. “That arm-in-arm image is something that we really believe in. You heard me talk about it a couple weeks back. What we’re trying to do as a football team is build a team that’s close. We talk a lot about unity and having each other’s backs, and certainly they embody that.”

Tight end Jason Witten spearheaded the idea of the players honoring the police and the families. While a little disappointed, Witten believes the gesture at the start of camp can have a long-lasting impact.

“What’s really important is what we tried to do, and that’s to unite that community, our community, and show that support for those families and really honor the leadership of our city,” Witten said. “I think that decal not being on the helmet is not going to stop that. It’s going to continue to do that not only now but in the future as we move forward. As players and an organization that is something we’re going to continue to support.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
DE Mike McAdoo could be a nice roster surprise for Cowboys

• Todd Archer ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- When Mike McAdoo joined the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad last Dec. 30, the transaction barely registered during a forgettable finish to a miserable 4-12 season.

As the Cowboys prepare for their first preseason game of 2016, against the Los Angeles Rams on Saturday night, McAdoo has been one of the surprises of training camp.

On a team that needs pass-rushing help, McAdoo has a chance to earn a roster spot five years after he traveled a difficult path to make the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent.

"I never lost faith," McAdoo said. "I kept my head high. I knew adversity is big and it's how you respond to it."

When the Cowboys signed McAdoo, he had just finished his first and only season with the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League. In 2014, he was out of football altogether after his release by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL. The Ravens cut him in 2013, after he had missed the previous season because of an Achilles tear.

He opened the 2011 season on the Ravens' active roster but was placed on injured reserve after Week 1 with a knee injury.

Going back to his college career, he was suspended for the 2010 season at North Carolina as part of an academic scandal. He made himself eligible for the NFL's supplemental draft in 2011 and was not chosen.

The chance with the Rattlers last season brought some football stability. He finished with a rookie-record 11 sacks in 14 starts.

"No matter what league you're playing in, if you're putting up numbers and you go out and make plays, you're going to get seen," McAdoo said.

The Cowboys were intrigued by McAdoo in the spring because of his quickness off the ball, but they wanted to reserve judgment until the pads came on in training camp. With injuries and absences and days of rest to other players, McAdoo has found himself getting some first-team work.

"I never thought I would be getting first-team snaps, but anything is possible," McAdoo said. "When I came out here, coach was telling me, when my number's called be ready."

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli had a message for the backup defensive linemen, as the Cowboys were without Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain,Cedric Thornton and DeMarcus Lawrence.

"I told them, 'You're welcome,'" Marinelli said. "Who gets those types of reps? That's phenomenal. Now we're getting guys back and reps get cut."

Reps will be cut, but the Cowboys' search for pass-rush help is neverending. So are Marinelli's teachings.

"It's like when I'm sleeping, that's the only thing I hear: Stay low and get off the ball," McAdoo said. "His techniques and everything he teaches is like, I've never embraced that before, so any chance he's talking to me or telling me to look up a guy, I take full consideration into it and actually look into it and do what he says, because of the guys he's had."

In the last few years, the Cowboys have found defensive-line help off the street from players like George Selvie, Nick Hayden and Jarius Wynn. Maybe McAdoo will be the next one.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
OXNARD, Calif. -- In some ways, Geoff Swaim can be viewed as a rookie this season.

He played in only four games last season, starting one. He caught one pass. It did not gain a yard.

Despite the lack of playing time in 2015, Swaim's improvement so far in Dallas Cowboys training camp is noticeable.

With James Hanna on the physically unable to perform list because of a knee injury and Gavin Escobar working back from a torn Achilles, Swaim has worked a lot as the No. 2 tight end behind Jason Witten.

"It's exposure and experience," coach Jason Garrett said. "And he's probably playing more decisively. He understands his technique more. He understands our system more. He's been in the different situations so he can pounce on them a little bit more instead of just surviving in those situations."

One of the many clichés you hear from NFL coaches and scouts is that a player makes his biggest jump from his rookie season to his second.

"You're always thinking, but you're thinking less about your assignment and thinking more about your techniques and your keys," Swaim said. "When you're able to do that, you play faster."

Swaim came to the Cowboys with the reputation as a blocker. Dallas gave up its sixth-rounder in 2016 to take him in the seventh round in 2015, even though he'd caught only 13 passes for 84 yards and a touchdown in two years at Texas.

With Witten not going anywhere and Hanna developing into a capable No. 2 tight end, Swaim has a chance to earn some playing time with his ability to do a little of everything. Escobar, who is in the final year of his contract, remains mostly a pass-catching threat.

"Any time you get a chance to contribute in any facet of the game it's important, but especially in the passing game," Swaim said. "That's something I didn't get a chance to do a whole lot of in college. I look forward to running routes, catching balls, but it's just as important [to work on] run blocking, special teams, pass protection, anything that you're asked to do.

"You try not to put your emphasis on one thing over another. It's just an emphasis on what I can do to help."

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It's like another 7th round pick.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Charles Tapper is a guy who I think can get us 5-7 sacks from the DE position. I've always compared him to Greg Ellis. In that he won't blow you away with gaudy numbers but he's a solid DL who would have fit in nicely with those early 90s Cowboys DLs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just like Jaylon Smith will be like having another 2nd round pick. If he ever plays again.
More like an extra top 5 pick!

He will play again, its just a question of at what level and how long. If the nerve never heals his level of play may not be what it used to.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Irvin missed the team charter once and Jimmy benched him for a series.
I remember that. Irvin took it as the discipline it was intended to be, showing others how seriously he respected Jimmy.

But no one would be walking on eggshells around Johnson because he did that.

Johnson became much more famous for screaming at backups and cutting non-factors.

Troy openly shook his head at Johnson for drunkenly chewing out Cornish.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
“I told Wade, the quarterbacks never looked better.” — offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, joking about taking over during quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson’s absence

Really needs a "not sure if serious" smiley...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sure sounds like Swaim has been a nice surprise in camp this year.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Sure sounds like Swaim has been a nice surprise in camp this year.
I remember hearing glowing reviews of Escobust too
j/s

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Fair point.
Bottom line is Witten won't let gingerfuck take him off the field & he has no clue how to run the 2te offense so until Romo/Witten retire this is all moot

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bottom line is Witten won't let gingerfuck take him off the field & he has no clue how to run the 2te offense so until Romo/Witten retire this is all moot
I think that Garrett cowtows to both Romo and Witten. It is kind of odd that a head coach will ever kiss the collective asses of two players as much as he does.

It would be almost surreal to see Garrett coaching a team without either guy. I think he'd flop so bad it would be hilarious. They are his two locker room lieutenants.

Take them away, very few are preaching the same silly suck ass textbook "process" horseshit and mean it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I think that Garrett cowtows to both Romo and Witten. It is kind of odd that a head coach will ever kiss the collective asses of two players as much as he does.

It would be almost surreal to see Garrett coaching a team without either guy. I think he'd flop so bad it would be hilarious. They are his two locker room lieutenants.

Take them away, very few are preaching the same silly suck ass textbook "process" horseshit and mean it.
They backed him when he sandbagged Wade. He knows he wouldn't be shit without them, especially Romo. I expect we'll finally see him fired exactly one season after Romo/Wit retire

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

The story on Garrett adds a new layer every time someone gets bored apparently.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

It most likely originates with Jerral, he just pulls the RHG's puppet strings.

Top Bottom