PFT: Greg Hardy asks for expungement of his criminal case

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Greg Hardy asks for expungement of his criminal case

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2015, 6:47 PM EDT

In February, criminal charges against Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy were dismissed on the first day of trial, after his accuser failed to show up in court — which happened after Hardy reportedly reached a settlement with her. Hardy now wants the State of North Carolina to pretend that none of it ever happened.

Per multiple reports, Hardy has filed a request that all records regarding the case be expunged.

“He’s been found guilty of absolutely nothing and he’s entitled to have a record of that charge eliminated,” attorney Tony Scheer said, via WSOC-TV.

If granted, everything related to the case would be removed from the Mecklenburg County court system — from Hardy’s mugshot to the conviction issued by a judge at the conclusion of a bench trial last year. Given the intense coverage of the case and the long memory of the Internet, it’s a meaningless gesture; the accusations against Hardy will live a much longer and more noticeable life beyond the walls of the Mecklenburg County courthouse.

Most importantly, they’ll live long enough at 345 Park Avenue to result in a potential suspension of Hardy for the outset of the 2015 regular season.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Why would someone want a dismissed charge expunged?
Because the arrest/charge will still show on your record, and can be seen by future employers, lenders, etc...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why would someone want a dismissed charge expunged?
A dismissed charge is still of record and some would possibly conclude he may have tendencies of this charge. It could be a phsylogical detriment for future job circumstances. The coulld be other reasons as well but predjudice is ususally at the top of the list.

D

Deuce

I get the purpose of some every day person doing it, but there's no reason for Hardy to do so. His "future employers" know exactly who he is and what he's done. It's probably just pr.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I get the purpose of some every day person doing it, but there's no reason for Hardy to do so. His "future employers" know exactly who he is and what he's done. It's probably just pr.
You asked why "someone" would want a charge expunged. Not why Greg Hardy would want it.

Yeah, I would think it's for PR in his case.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You asked why "someone" would want a charge expunged. Not why Greg Hardy would want it.

Yeah, I would think it's for PR in his case.
I think it is. I think it's so that Hardy and his representatives can turn around and point out to the NFL that there are no records of a criminal offense at all. Just strengthens Hardy's case that any suspension handed down to him would be totally unwarranted and give him an advantage in the appeals process.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Can't play football forever.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I
If you're cashing $13M a year, you should need to pass a job background check after football either.
Its not a matter of need it a preference. He apparently doesnt want it to ever surface again. The oforementioned reasons were speculation as to why he might want the matter expunged.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I
If you're cashing $13M a year, you should need to pass a job background check after football either.
Might not need to but he might want to. The cost of the expungement probably isn't that great either.

dallen

Senior Tech
I wonder if this is setup for an appeal of his suspension

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Title fooled me, thought he was asking for a trade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if this is setup for an appeal of his suspension
I think it is and it will also help him if the NFL goes back to try to find out more information about his case as all of those records will be destroyed.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Seems like a plan to avoid suspension to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Seems like a plan to avoid suspension to me.
I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

I am sure that homo Goodell will put the screws to us and suspend him for at least four games.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, there's gonna be some time missed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

I am sure that homo Goodell will put the screws to us and suspend him for at least four games.
In the event his record is expunged prior to the start of the season, I wonder what grounds .Goodell would have to make that kind of determination. The record would reflect that a player was suspended without cause. In my opinion that would bring about tons of problems .for him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the event his record is expunged prior to the start of the season, I wonder what grounds .Goodell would have to make that kind of determination. The record would reflect that a player was suspended without cause. In my opinion that would bring about tons of problems .for him.
As part of the appeal the NFL would no longer have access to photos or any of that type of stuff either. Not sure how they would be able to uphold the suspension.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
how the hell does the league justify a 10-game suspension for Hardy? I'm flabbergasted quite honestly.it is a beyond a joke at this point. Unreal.

Top Bottom