Archer: Cowboys bring back Doug Free

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
IRVING, Texas -- With free agency set to begin Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys made their choice at right tackle by re-signing Doug Free to a three-year deal, a source told ESPN.

The Cowboys don't know if they will be able to keep free-agent running back DeMarco Murray, but they have kept one of the best offensive lines in football intact with Tyron Smith, Ronald Leary, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin and Free set to be together for a second season.

With Free returning, Jermey Parnell, who started five regular-season games and two playoff contests because of foot and ankle injuries to Free, will hit the free-agent market and likely find a starting deal elsewhere.

Free, 31, has been a full-time starter since 2010. He started at left tackle at 2010 and 2011 before moving to right tackle in favor of Smith in 2012.

He took a pay cut in 2013, dropping his base salary to $3.5 million in each of the last two years after signing a four-year, $32 million deal that included $17 million guaranteed.

Free is considered the leader of a Cowboys offensive line that features three Pro Bowlers -- Smith, Frederick and Martin. He had offseason surgery on his left ankle but he is expected to be at full health for training camp.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Glad to see him come back.

I just hope the deal was a good one.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Good news. Now hopefully somebody else will overpay for Parnell. Preferably the Redskins and Callahan.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
3 years is the perfect length of time for someone his age, now hopefully the deal is for no more than about 15-18 a year with around 8 or so guaranteed.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Commitment to a solid cog in a stellar group. Well played.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This works for me. Now let's hope he can stay healthy.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys bring back Doug Free
Todd Archer [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | March 7, 2015
IRVING, Texas -- With free agency set to begin Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys made their choice at right tackle by re-signing Doug Free to a three-year deal worth $15 million, sources told ESPN.

The deal includes $6 million in guaranteed money, according to a source.

The Cowboys don't know if they will be able to keep free-agent running back DeMarco Murray, but they have kept one of the best offensive lines in football intact with Tyron Smith, Ronald Leary, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin and Free set to be together for a second season.

With Free returning, Jermey Parnell, who started five regular-season games and two playoff contests because of foot and ankle injuries to Free, will hit the free-agent market and likely find a starting deal elsewhere.

Free, 31, has been a full-time starter since 2010. He started at left tackle at 2010 and 2011 before moving to right tackle in favor of Smith in 2012.

He took a pay cut in 2013, dropping his base salary to $3.5 million in each of the last two years after signing a four-year, $32 million deal that included $17 million guaranteed.

Free is considered the leader of a Cowboys offensive line that features three Pro Bowlers -- Smith, Frederick and Martin. He had offseason surgery on his left ankle but he is expected to be at full health for training camp.

Cotton

Staff member
That's a good contract for the Cowboys and for Free.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
6 guaranteed. Three for 15 per Archer.

S'aight.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
6 guaranteed. Three for 15 per Archer.

S'aight.
That's a great deal for us, I bet Parnell gets near that or possibly even more on the open market. I was a little worried about what Free would ask for considering what Dunlap got so I'm good with this.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's a great deal for us, I bet Parnell gets near that or possibly even more on the open market. I was a little worried about what Free would ask for considering what Dunlap got so I'm good with this.
Parnell can go rip off the Redskins, Jags or Titans.

Top Bottom