NFL Post-draft Power Rankings

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Seems a bit low. We're not better than the Jets? Come on.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
All depends on Romo's health and whether having healthy bodies will help this defense. Otherwise we'll be worse...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Definitely seems low. Assuming Romo's health, we should be in the 15-20 range.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The Panthers' receiving corps is close to established, but is it enough? Kelvin Benjamin, Jerricho Cotchery and Jason Avant will be Cam Newton's primary wideouts.
Wow, that could be the slowest group of WRs in NFL history.

hstour

Brand New Member
The whole list doesn't make much sense. If you look, it is mostly done based on last year's record.

And yet, every year since the introduction of the salary cap, approximately 40% of the teams with losing records will have winning records the next year. And about the same percentage of playoff teams will have losing records.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The whole list doesn't make much sense. If you look, it is mostly done based on last year's record.

And yet, every year since the introduction of the salary cap, approximately 40% of the teams with losing records will have winning records the next year. And about the same percentage of playoff teams will have losing records.
What I want to know is how the Giants are one of the big "movers" when they had one of the more questionable drafts in the entire league.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wow, that could be the slowest group of WRs in NFL history.
The Panthers will be lucky to win six games this upcoming year. Wouldn't shock me if they end up with the top pick in the draft next year.

data

Forbes #1
Ranking is probably based on how good a team is in December. #22 would be accurate.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Unless Hayden beats McClain, the entire Cowboys defensive line is going to be different than the one that started opening day 2013.

How can you possibly predict anything?

OL ++ (Obvious improvement in talent and development)
QB - (age/injury > experience)
WR's + (Williams, Harris, and even Beasley develop, progress stopper in Austin gone)
RB's = (Dunbar and Murray remain ?'s and Randle won't develop)
TE's = (Escobar and Hannah develop, Witten ages)

DT's = (Melton/Hatcher is a wash based on age and ijury)
DE's ++ (Lawrence, Crawford, Mincey, Selvie, Spencer > Injured Ware, Selvie )
LB's = (Wilber, Hitchens develop, Carter?, Lee?)
S: + (Wilcox, Church, maybe even Johnson develop)
CB's: = (Claiborne could make the unit great with improvement or weak with another year like last year)

Asides from Romo's rehab, hard to find where this team got worse. There's also a strong chance Romo remains the same if his back actually improves from last year.

Matchups wise Washington became a much tougher opponent while the Eagles got weaker. Giants have big problems all over the place.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Panthers will be lucky to win six games this upcoming year. Wouldn't shock me if they end up with the top pick in the draft next year.
Their defense, OL, excellent TE's, and running game alone are good for 8-8. Newton will win 3 games (and probably lose 1) by himself. And at WR it's not like they're lining up three Cole Beasley's out there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Their defense, OL, excellent TE's, and running game alone are good for 8-8. Newton will win 3 games (and probably lose 1) by himself. And at WR it's not like they're lining up three Cole Beasley's out there.
Their OL? You do realize they will have Nate Chandler and Byron Bell starting at tackle? And their running game is vastly overrated.

Their defense lost a key CB in Captain Munnerlyn and they replaced him with, well, nobody.

Sorry but the gig is up. They will take a Falcons-type slide.

The Falcons, Bucs and Saints are all better or as good as last year.

Plus the fan base is still pissed off about the Steve Smith thing. In a very fickle sports town, they don't have a lot to get excited about and I think the team will struggle for a reason to keep playing when they can't compete.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Power rankings for the pros is like a woman's purse. It changes everyday.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Plus the fan base is still pissed off about the Steve Smith thing. In a very fickle sports town, they don't have a lot to get excited about and I think the team will struggle for a reason to keep playing when they can't compete.
Well that division is definitely famous for worst to first and the reverse climbs and tumbles, so obviously you could be right.

I think though that Newton made big strides last year and he is a better QB than Matt Ryan. I also can't picture the Bucs being anything but last place. Maybe the jig's up, but that defense improved, if anything. I do think they over-achieved last year and may take a step back by comparison, but I don't see an epic collapse.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well that division is definitely famous for worst to first and the reverse climbs and tumbles, so obviously you could be right.

I think though that Newton made big strides last year and he is a better QB than Matt Ryan. I also can't picture the Bucs being anything but last place. Maybe the jig's up, but that defense improved, if anything. I do think they over-achieved last year and may take a step back by comparison, but I don't see an epic collapse.
They rode a very impressive wave to the post-season last year but they will be starting fresh this year with a less talented team.

They dumped Smith and pissed everyone off, lost LaFell and Munnerlyn and Gross retired.

They did zero, literally, to offset that.

They have the cheapest owner in the NFL and Gettleman is trying to dig himself out of an incredible hole he took on when he was hired.

Newton is coming off of ankle surgery and won't be able do offseason work with the WRs.

The morale is pretty low and the fanbase will turn on these guys in no time. BofA will be a morgue if they don't get off to a fast start.

I honestly don't think Rivera is that good and I can see the team bailing on him as Newton is most certainly not a good enough leader to keep it all together. It was more of like what we did to "win for Wade" but then the next season bailed on him because the organization had a shitty offseason.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I honestly don't think Rivera is that good and I can see the team bailing on him as Newton is most certainly not a good enough leader to keep it all together. It was more of like what we did to "win for Wade" but then the next season bailed on him because the organization had a shitty offseason.
Totally agreed re: Rivera.

If they stick to their guns though and Newton doesn't try to do too much (IOW he plays like he did last year), I see them in the playoff mix again.

Atlanta has ridden an easy schedule for years, and they were seriously exposed as frauds last year, Julio Jones or no. Carolina does not match up well against New Orleans, but if they can steal a game from them they have an inside track again thanks to their defense. Newton just has to be patient enough to allow his WR's to gel and to get himself healthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Totally agreed re: Rivera.

If they stick to their guns though and Newton doesn't try to do too much (IOW he plays like he did last year), I see them in the playoff mix again.

Atlanta has ridden an easy schedule for years, and they were seriously exposed as frauds last year, Julio Jones or no. Carolina does not match up well against New Orleans, but if they can steal a game from them they have an inside track again thanks to their defense. Newton just has to be patient enough to allow his WR's to gel and to get himself healthy.
Speaking as a local, I have to disagree the D is going to return intact. They lost a little bit of magic in Munnerlyn. He was a catalyst as a DB.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Speaking as a local, I have to disagree the D is going to return intact. They lost a little bit of magic in Munnerlyn. He was a catalyst as a DB.
True. If Claiborne played like Munnerlyn, Jerry would be getting his name ready for the ROH.

I think though that Benjamin, Turner, and Ealy will each help right away and even more by the end of the year. Again, it's not like they play in the NFC West.

Top Bottom