MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mets patiently waiting out Drew...I do not care if we sign him or not...I'd rather roll with Tejada and use the future savings on a better SS.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Mets patiently waiting out Drew...I do not care if we sign him or not...I'd rather roll with Tejada and use the future savings on a better SS.
That draft pick compensation thing is killing opportunities for guys like him, Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, Kendrys Morales, et. al. I wouldn't do it if I were the Mets.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jeter announced on FB this is his last season.

Good riddance.
Well the way things have been going he will come back next season after breaking something during this season.

Rev

Staff member
That draft pick compensation thing is killing opportunities for guys like him, Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, Kendrys Morales, et. al. I wouldn't do it if I were the Mets.
Looks like the Mariners are going to do it with Cruz.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Phillies have agreed to a one-year, $16MM deal with A.J. Burnett, reports Hayden Balgavy of THV 11 in Arkansas (Twitter links). Burnett is represented by Frontline Athlete Management.
----------------------------------------------------------
Not that signing Burnett to a 1 year $16M deal is a bad thing for an NL team, but Philly already has a pretty old roster as it is. Do they really think they can contend within their division? I guess you have to try and a 1-2-3 punch of Lee, Hamels, and Burnett could be pretty formidable. Still see them finishing 3rd at best in the division though.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
The Phillies have agreed to a one-year, $16MM deal with A.J. Burnett, reports Hayden Balgavy of THV 11 in Arkansas (Twitter links). Burnett is represented by Frontline Athlete Management.
----------------------------------------------------------
Not that signing Burnett to a 1 year $16M deal is a bad thing for an NL team, but Philly already has a pretty old roster as it is. Do they really think they can contend within their division? I guess you have to try and a 1-2-3 punch of Lee, Hamels, and Burnett could be pretty formidable.
Hamels is going to be out a bit, though. Something with his arm from the off season. That could linger and be the reason that they signed him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
In the Mets case our first round pick is protected. Boras is looking for too much money.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Good signing for the Phillies. The money doesn't matter; they weren't going to use that money otherwise. The key is only one year. So next year they still have the flexibility to use those dollars elsewhere. The age doesn't matter; he's still a productive player as of last season and they aren't tied to him long term.

Burnett is a good fit for their ballpark and they needed a 3rd starter in the worst way so now all their pitchers slot about where they should be.

The Phillies problem is hitting, but this at least gives them (assuming he's healthy and not traded at the deadline) 30ish starts where they probably don't have to score a lot of runs.

Prior to this signing I thought they were about a 70-75 win team. Now I think they should be about an 80 or so win team, and if everything breaks right may be in the mix for a playoff spot.

I hate Ruben Amaro but I have to give credit where it's due. There's really no downside to this.

Rev

Staff member
Wished Texas would have been in on him but the money was the issue. Instead we have to hope forca Hanson turnaround.

D

Deuce

Nationals Acquire Jose Lobaton For Nate Karns
By Jeff Todd [February 13 at 12:48pm CST]

The Nationals have officially acquired catcher Jose Lobaton and two prospects from the Rays in exchange for pitcher Nate Karns. Along with Lobaton, the Nationals will pick up a pair of 22-year-olds that played at the High-A level last year: lefty Felipe Rivero and outfielder Drew Vettleson. Washington placed Erik Davis on the 60-day DL (right elbow strain) to clear 40-man roster space for Rivero.

Lobaton is a 29-year-old backstop who figures to slot in behind Nats' incumbent Wilson Ramos on the depth chart. A switch-hitter, Lobaton will presumably see much of his time against righties. Indeed, that has been the case for most of his time in the big leagues, though he has hit from both sides of the plate at roughly the same rate over his career.

Last year, in 311 plate appearances, Lobaton managed a .249/.320/.394 line, good for a league average OPS that plays nicely from the catching position. In addition to offering a left-handed hitting option, Lobaton appeals due to his affordable $900K salary this year and the fact that he can be controlled for three more seasons through arbitration. As MLBTR's Steve Adams noted earlier this month, however, the Venezuelan native's defensive metrics provide cause for some concern.

The 26-year-old Karns underwent shoulder surgery early in his career and just reached the big leagues for three starts last year. Throwing 132 2/3 innings at the Double-A level last year, he put up a 3.26 ERA with 10.5 K/9 against 3.3 BB/9.

Karns is a well-regarded prospect with a big arm, but questions remain whether he will stick in the rotation. Baseball America placed him at the ninth spot among the Nationals' top ten prospects. He had been expected to have an outside chance at earning a rotation spot in D.C., but otherwise would likely have served as minor league depth. Instead, he will presumably find himself facing a similar proposition in Tampa, whose fifth-starter options are perhaps led by 23-year-old prospect Jake Odorizzi.

The prospect return to Washington surely plays an important role in this deal. The southpaw Rivero, who landed at 17th on the BA list this year and 20th last year, threw to a 3.40 ERA in 127 innings at High-A last year, posting 6.4 K/9 against 3.7 BB/9. Rivero has a slight build but reportedly delivers a fastball that touches the mid-90s and carries mid-rotation upside. He occupied a 40-man slot in Tampa. The Nationals had success with a similarly youthful lefty acquired via trade last year, getting some production out of Ian Krol before flipping him in the Doug Fister trade.

Vettleson -- the 42nd overall choice in the 2010 draft -- also placed amongst the Rays' top thirty prospects. Gaining the 11th overall slot last year, he fell to 20th on this year's version after a .274/.331/.388 campaign at High-A. He knocked just four home runs a year after hitting 15 at the low-A level in 2012, and also swiped only five bases after netting 20 over the prior campaign. Vettleson profiles as a right fielder, with decent legs and a good arm. Baseball America says that, if his power develops as he fills out, and he improves his jumps on the bases and defensive routes, the left-handed hitter could end up with a solid all-around tool set.

The deal shapes up to be a swap of somewhat redundant assets. For Tampa, Lobaton had no obvious role going forward after the Rays acquired Ryan Hanigan from the Reds earlier in the off-season. Meanwhile, the club learned that starter Jeremy Hellickson would miss the early part of the year due to injury. Though Rivero could potentially have a similar ceiling to Karns, the latter is certainly a more established player who is much closer to making a contribution at the MLB level. Even if he does not earn a rotation slot, he could contribute in the pen sooner rather than later.

From the Nationals' perspective, the price was likely easier to bear given presence of other young, MLB-ready starting options (including Taylor Jordan and Tanner Roark, in addition to the more established Ross Detwiler) as well as several other solid arms moving through the system. (To say nothing of the fact that the team already has a strong, young, current MLB rotation that is under control for at least two years.) Though Washington had already traded one well-regarded young starter earlier in the off-season when it sent Robbie Ray (among others) to the Tigers for Fister, Karns did not have a clear place on the big league club and was something of a wasting asset in the minors given his age. By picking up younger talent in the deal, the club managed to maintain a reasonable portion of its talent base while shifting its promotion timeline in a potentially beneficial manner, all while adding a solid piece to the MLB roster.

---------------

Good trade for both sides. Vettleson has some untapped potential.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Reds sign Homer Bailey for 6 years 105 million.

Tossing a couple of no hitters gets you PAID!

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It's a great deal for them. If Kershaw is ever hit by a train, he might win a Cy Young too.
He's going to have to develop more consistency. He can be flat out dominant or suck cock on any given day.

Still only 27 however, so he can still get better.

Rev

Staff member
Cruz refused the Rangers qualifying offer of 1/14 and just signed with Baltimore for 1/8. Ouch.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cruz refused the Rangers qualifying offer of 1/14 and just signed with Baltimore for 1/8. Ouch.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Rev

Staff member
I'm more pissed that he signed with a team that already lost their 1st round pick
Wouldn't have had Seattle either.

Top Bottom