Broaddus/Scout’s Eye: Three Young Players Who Stepped Up

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas – Having spent the night with the Baltimore tape, I wrote up a short list of standouts from the preseason loss. All three of these guys either newcomers or fringe guys trying to earn a roster spot. On Saturday night, they put their best foot forward.

•Jamar Newsome started very well when we opened training camp in California, but there was a period where he struggled to make plays. Against the Ravens, he was back to his playmaking self. I have always been impressed with his physical makeup. No disrespect to guys like Cole Beasley or Steve Smith, but when you have a player that can make plays on the outside by going and getting the ball wherever it’s thrown, that’s the guy I want on my team. Newsome is not the type of player that will ever run away from a defender, but when you have body control and balance, it makes all the difference in the world. Where I thought that Newsome really showed up was in his ability to make the contested catch. There were several snaps where the defensive back had position on him, but he was able to make a slight adjustment with his body to finish the play. It didn’t matter which quarterback was in the game, they smartly put the ball in his direction.

•Zack Minter was not on this roster when the week began, but I promise you if you watched this game against the Ravens, you know who he is now. I will say this about Minter and his game: It did not start well for him. As a matter of fact, he was simply not very good at all when the Ravens opened the second half on that drive where they gashed the Cowboys defense. He looked slow and out of shape in the way that he took on blocks entirely too high and without any leverage at all. Coming off the field after that drive, I saw a player that looked like he had no business on a NFL roster. I was starting to doubt myself in what I had seen from his Bears tape of 2013. In those games, his pad level, effort and overall power was noticeable in a positive way. I don’t know what clicked for him after that initial drive, but whatever it was, he was a different player. That player from the Bears tape showed up in a big way and has now put himself in a position where these coaches will continue to play him to see if he can make this 53-man roster.

•Devin Street might be a rookie, but he is becoming a very fast learner. He has had his days during these practices when he has been outstanding and others when you would have never known if he was on the field. What I have really enjoyed in watching these receivers play for Derek Dooley is how they have all unselfishly become tough guys when it comes to blocking. I have been waiting for Street to take his turn when it comes to the job that no receiver wants to do, although the great ones are more than willing to put their helmet in the center of a defensive back and try to spring a teammate on the edge. Against a group of cornerbacks that like to play press coverage and mix it up, Street put on his big-boy pads and got a little dirty with two solid blocks that initially appeared to be small positive gains, but after his effort, resulted in much larger gains. When the receivers all gather on Monday morning to watch the tape, Devin Street will not have had a reception, but when those plays are reviewed by his coaches and teammates, he will have their same respect as if he had caught 10 balls.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Newsome is going to get snapped up by someone. We can't keep him on the active roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would keep him over Harris.
I wouldn't. I like what he did the other night, but he is not any better than the last WR sensation Raymond Radway. Where is he now? Oh yeah.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wouldn't. I like what he did the other night, but he is not any better than the last WR sensation Raymond Radway. Where is he now? Oh yeah.
Why compare him to Radway?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I would keep him over Harris.
We need Harris for kick returns, I don't want to see them marching Randle out there during regular season games

Carp

DCC 4Life
We need Harris for kick returns, I don't want to see them marching Randle out there during regular season games
Right...he might have been the best ST player in the NFL last year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because Radway did similar things.
What I remember about Radaway he was inconsistent. He would make a spectacular play at times then drop one that hit him in the chest. I didn't see that with Newsome. He seems to be more sure handed although what I saw of him was limited.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't want to see Randle out there at all during regular season games. At least not in uniform. He can bring the players water if he wants.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I dont want to see Randle in any fashion.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Your decision is based on one game...which is the epitome of knee jerk. kthxbai
There are other highlights. I just posted these. Don't be a grumpy old man. I still prefer Newsome.
Oui?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't usually say this but Harris is worth keeping strictly for his special teams ability. Usually I think it's crap to keep a guy just for special teams but that dude does it all on special teams and does it all very well. Plus he can contribute as a WR. If I'm dumping a midget receiver it is Beasley.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't usually say this but Harris is worth keeping strictly for his special teams ability. Usually I think it's crap to keep a guy just for special teams but that dude does it all on special teams and does it all very well. Plus he can contribute as a WR. If I'm dumping a midget receiver it is Beasley.
I see your point but surely there is someone who can deal with the special team aspects. Beasley has better hands than Harris but I wouldn't be opposed to replacing him with Newsome. This guy has too much upside to risk losing him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
There are other highlights. I just posted these. Don't be a grumpy old man. I still prefer Newsome.
Oui?
It is dumb to cut Harris for Newsome. Harris was outstanding in returns and covering kicks last year. There is value in that.

Top Bottom