Sabin: Jerry Jones - ‘I don’t anticipate drafting a quarterback high’

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: ‘I don’t anticipate drafting a quarterback high’
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
5:22 pm on January 20, 2014

Tony Romo is less than a month removed from back surgery. But, in Mobile, Ala., Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Monday the 33-year-old quarterback is faring well in his recovery and expects him to “get some work” in before training camp.

“I talked to Tony frequently, and so he’s feeling much better,” Jones related. “As far as how he’s feeling, and frankly how he’s responding, is very good.”

Given Romo’s age and condition, many have wondered if the Cowboys plan to prepare for the future by selecting his potential successor in the early rounds of the draft in May.

Jones said such a move was unlikely.

“I don’t anticipate drafting a quarterback high with where we are with Romo, especially one that might can play immediately and several of these guys in today’s NFL are playing pretty quick, Wilson, and kaepernick, and those guys who are move-around types, some of those guys who take a little more seasoning are your traditional quarterbacks, so all of that would figure in,” he said. “An early pick would be more inclined to be one that you would say use now. The other thing we’ve got is when you draft out of that first round, those are four-year contracts and three-year contracts as you go down, so to some degree, you’re just drafting one to develop for somebody else.”

Since the turn of the century, the Cowboys have drafted only two quarterbacks – Quincy Carter in 2001 and Stephen McGee in 2009.

If Jones is to be believed, it doesn’t appear Romo’s replacement will be chosen in the Valley Ranch war room this spring.

So, we won't take a QB to develop because all that would be good for is developing that QB for another team? Sound organizational strategy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am more convinced than ever that we are going after Manziel.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If Jerry thinks Romo will be our starter for the next 2-3 years then we won't go after Manziel or any QB. Heaven forbid we plan ahead and draft someone who could be ready to take over in a couple of years, or gasp, compete with Romo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am more convinced than ever that we are going after Manziel.
Really don't think so. I believe that Jones thinks Romo will recover and rehab. Back surgery can be very successful or can be a disaster. Depends on what needs to be done. I had back surgery as recent as last January and I am better than before. Granted I don't have to play football but my mobility and strength are better than before. There will be a good indication of Romo' s circumstances before draft day.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Jerry doesn't value the position in the draft. He's going to ride Romo like he did Aikman and hope he stumbles on a undrafted FA or baseball player.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry doesn't value the position in the draft. He's going to ride Romo like he did Aikman and hope he stumbles on a undrafted FA or baseball player.
I expect he'll wait til Romo is done and then use the excuse we can't draft a traditional dropback style QB because it'll take too long for him to develop. Instead, I expect at that time we'll draft a "move around type" QB hoping for an immediate starter. I'd prefer a traditional type who is elusive rather than a read/option type who isn't a great passer. But since Jerry's a fool we'll end up with a baseball player or read/option version of Quincy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Jerry thinks Romo will be our starter for the next 2-3 years then we won't go after Manziel or any QB. Heaven forbid we plan ahead and draft someone who could be ready to take over in a couple of years, or gasp, compete with Romo.
He is so married to Romo, bad back be damned, that he refuses to acknowledge the possibility of life without him.

Romo will literally have to be finished for him to take someone.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I expect he'll wait til Romo is done and then use the excuse we can't draft a traditional dropback style QB because it'll take too long for him to develop. Instead, I expect at that time we'll draft a "move around type" QB hoping for an immediate starter. I'd prefer a traditional type who is elusive rather than a read/option type who isn't a great passer. But since Jerry's a fool we'll end up with a baseball player or read/option version of Quincy.
And, by that time we will have so many holes, even if he drafts a good QB high it will be like Lions drafting Stafford, with less talent already on the roster.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Terrible 20 years to be a Cowboys fan.

:lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
This QB class sucks...even the ones at the top have warts. Not saying I don't want to draft a QB though.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
If we draft a guy it will be several rounds too high, so I'm going with...

Logan Thomas in the 2nd.

"In this NFL, you need a big guy who can take them hits relative to the defense..."

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yep...horrid.

I wish I knew more about the Mountain West guys, but hard to tell what they are really. Carr, Fales, Smith...I just don't know. I know Boyd has flaws, but I am curious about him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep...horrid.

I wish I knew more about the Mountain West guys, but hard to tell what they are really. Carr, Fales, Smith...I just don't know. I know Boyd has flaws, but I am curious about him.
They were tearing Tajh Boyd apart today, saying he might not even get drafted.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He is so married to Romo, bad back be damned, that he refuses to acknowledge the possibility of life without him.

Romo will literally have to be finished for him to take someone.
What's not to love? Win or lose he's entertaining.

Carp

DCC 4Life
All the better if we could get him as an UDFA. I go back and forth on McCarron...best case he is Dalton. So...no.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All the better if we could get him as an UDFA. I go back and forth on McCarron...best case he is Dalton. So...no.
I don't care for McCarron's douche vibe. Kid thinks he's a first rounder...piss off.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mettenberger is popular...I like him...I even have some love for Murray. There are some guys we should be interested in.

I agree on McCarron...who gave him a top 20 promise?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Might be waiting for Petty to be available before making a move.

Top Bottom