Here's how QB Carson Wentz figures in Cowboys' draft, long-term plans

Smitty

DCC 4Life
By Charles Robinson
Yahoo Sports

MOBILE, Ala. – If there was any doubt about whether the Dallas Cowboys were giving North Dakota State University quarterback Carson Wentz a serious look as a high draft pick, it was dispelled Tuesday.

While Dallas didn't go out of its way to wave the Senior Bowl pom-poms for Wentz, Cowboys director of player personnel Stephen Jones had a fairly developed line of thought when it came to plucking a quarterback high in this year's draft. To put it succinctly: This isn't some mock draft fantasy. If Wentz is the right guy and right move for the future transition of the franchise, Dallas is prepared to make that decision. And if it means Tony Romo will have to spend a few years mentoring a young guy like Wentz, well, Jones thinks Romo will be a good company man. Even if that means sacrificing a high pick (and a potential instant impact player) in favor of someone who might not take over for a few years.

"That's obviously what you fight over," Jones said. "But when you look at what happened with Aaron Rodgers [learning behind Brett Favre], you look at Tony Romo sitting for three years … you look at these guys who sit and watch for three years, and then they go on and have the success that they have. You can live with that.

"You can't put your head in the sand [with Romo's health]. He's certainly had some injuries. We have to be aware of that. If we do decide to pick a quarterback fairly high, Tony's a great example of how it can serve a young quarterback well to watch for two or three or four years, whatever that number is going to be. Obviously we think Tony is our best chance to go win a Super Bowl. We think he will be that guy for the next three or four years."

Of course, Dallas learned last season that Romo isn't a guarantee, particularly with him having yet another surgery on his collarbone and turning 36 in April. The history of NFL quarterbacks suggests that two more years (and the age of 38) might be the wall. Look no further than 39-year-old Peyton Manning to see how dicey things get once that line is crossed. That alone suggests Dallas would be smart to invest a high draft pick in a quarterback now, so a smooth handoff becomes achievable by the 2018 season or earlier. It's also a gamble to think Dallas will get another shot at a top-tier quarterback before that, putting even more pressure on getting the No. 4 overall pick right.

Conceivably, Dallas may even have the opportunity to move back a few picks and still draft Wentz, as only the Cleveland Browns (No. 2 overall) and San Francisco 49ers (No. 7) have obvious quarterback issues among teams in the top 10 of the draft. Of course, Wentz still has to prove he's worth the top-10 draft pick status that has been placed on him by many, including Senior Bowl director and former Browns general manager Phil Savage. That process started on Tuesday, with Wentz impressing in the measurable department (standing 6-foot-5¼ and weighing 233 pounds), and then going out and having an up-and-down first throwing performance.

It's not uncommon for quarterbacks to have mixed results in their first Senior Bowl practice. They are throwing to receivers they just met and running an offense they began learning a day or two earlier. Wentz completed a few impressive passes, including a zippy and well-covered 10-yard out route that showed why so many evaluators have been impressed with his arm and physical tools. But he also shorted a pass badly into the turf and overthrew some as well.

"Probably a little anxious," one NFC player personnel man said. "It looked pretty typical for a first day, pretty run-of-mill, with some good throws and some not-so-good. He's athletic. He was chatting guys up. He has the arm. … I thought it looked like he was having fun. We'll see how much he improves the next two days."

With just 23 starts under his belt at the FCS level, there is some thought that Wentz could have a much higher ceiling than the one he achieved in college. That's part of the draw as well, that there's untapped potential in his game that could pay big dividends with the right coaching. With the Cowboys coaching Wentz and his North team, Dallas is in perfect position to figure out if that's the case.

"We're just getting to know him," Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said. "We thought he handled himself well, picked things up well. One day into it, I think he and the other quarterbacks did a good job picking things up. Fun to see him play. … We're very early. We've been with him for 24 hours."

Asked what he was looking for in the development of players, Garrett said the ability to absorb information and build on it from one day to the next will be key.

"It's important to understand how guys learn," Garrett said. "You try to put pressure on them in the meeting. You try to put pressure on them in the walkthrough, and then in practice. You try to hold them accountable."

One thing is for certain, Wentz's pedigree won't scare Dallas away. Stephen Jones said Wentz has already shown an ability to be a winner after capturing back-to-back championships at North Dakota State as a starter. And with Romo having dominated Division I-AA at Eastern Illinois, they've learned that elite quarterback success can eventually translate to the highest levels. "It's too early for us to tell where we may ultimately decide he should be picked," Jones said. "He's one of many guys that we'll be looking at. He's certainly done a lot in a short period of time. You've got to give him credit. You win two national championships – he's proven he's a winner.

"You want to get the [quarterback] pick right. You want to get the guy right. He's got to understand what's going to happen. He's going to be in here to learn. To study under a guy like Tony Romo is a big positive. Those things don't concern me. I think everybody agrees: If the right guy is there, then you've got to take a long hard look at him. That's why we're sitting here today. Our coaching staff I know is working hard at it."

Only the next three months of evaluation will tell if Wentz fits the definition of the right quarterback pick. If he does, Dallas sounds like it has thought the scenario through. Suddenly taking Tony Romo's heir apparent high in the first round doesn't seem like such a fantasy.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I just hope they have other players in mind and well-scouted in case Cleveland takes their guy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Interesting point. What if Cleveland calls you and says, "We're taking Wentz, unless you want to trade up to our spot for a first and third." Or even first and second.

Whats your limit? Are Goff and Wentz equals? Do you just take who is left? Or do you move on to the next BPA at a different position? Or would you be willing to make the trade?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wentz or Goff for me so in that scenario I stay at 4 and take who is there.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
"But when you look at what happened with Aaron Rodgers [learning behind Brett Favre], you look at Tony Romo sitting for three years … you look at these guys who sit and watch for three years, and then they go on and have the success that they have. You can live with that.
I don't think he'd have to sit for 3 years. Romo turns 36 in April. I don't see him staying healthy or playing at a high level when he's 38 or 39. That would be our luck though, to go all in on Tony Romo for 13 or 14 years.

With just 23 starts under his belt at the FCS level, there is some thought that Wentz could have a much higher ceiling than the one he achieved in college. That's part of the draw as well, that there's untapped potential in his game that could pay big dividends with the right coaching. With the Cowboys coaching Wentz and his North team, Dallas is in perfect position to figure out if that's the case.
This is a concern. More untapped potential than experience. You'd always prefer someone who has proven it on the field for a more extended amount of time. And maybe learning from Romo will help but I wouldn't count on Wade Wilson's coaching to tap the potential.

dallen

Senior Tech
Definitely sounds like we are leaning QB in the draft

Jiggyfly

Banned
Interesting point. What if Cleveland calls you and says, "We're taking Wentz, unless you want to trade up to our spot for a first and third." Or even first and second.

What's your limit? Are Goff and Wentz equals? Do you just take who is left? Or do you move on to the next BPA at a different position? Or would you be willing to make the trade?
Take who is left or another player, too many questions about Wentz to be looking to move up.

Goff is still my preferred QB anyway.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
im getting a huge football boner over the past couple of weeks. All of this sounds too good to be true

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Goff is currently the most consistently number #1 rated QB.

You really are out of touch these days.
I was just kidding about getting out, Goff would be awesome too if he grades out to that spot.

However it's hardly out of touch to think Wentz will surpass him... If you think it's crazy, then maybe you are the one who is out of touch.

Overall Wentz is the guy I like, but obviously I'm pulling for him to show he belongs at that spot and I think there's a good chance he does it.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
im at the point where if he proves it at the senior bowl and combine, fuck it take him at 4 and be done with it. If Wentz flops hard in the NFL, while it will suck, he fooled everybody including GM's and owners. All of us are on the Carson train and i'm willing to risk not getting a Deforest Buckner or Laquon Tredwell for grooming Tony's successor

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think I'd give up a top 5 pick in the 2nd or 3rd for the chance to take Wentz over Goff. While I love Wentz as a prospect for several reasons, Goff is right there with him. Goff is not as athletic and doesn't have as big of an arm but he has a more accurate deep ball, is 2 years younger, has more game experience, and at a higher level of competition at that, and probably has better pocket awareness, or at least more mature pocket awareness in terms of his footwork.

Wentz is more or less impeccable off the field too, and while I haven't seen as much about Goff in that regard, I have read that he is a big time student of the game who picks things up very quickly.

So no, if our aim is to take a QB, I would not give that up to trade up with Cleveland. The more interesting question is if you have reason to believe that the Chargers will trade down with someone looking to take the other QB, would you trade up with them to ensure that you get one of the top QB's?

And even if that were the case, that likely means that Bosa is there at 4.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Exactly what I was thinking. Bosa is probably the best player in college football so I think we are going to have a wealth of options here. Even so, trading down is another monster option if the two QB's are gone. Someone will probably want to break the bank for Bosa

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Gonna suck when the Browns take Wentz.
Wouldn't be surprised.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they opted for Goff since he is more polished and ready to play now.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they followed the Raiders recent model in terms of using a 2nd or 3rd to get their QB by trading for McCarron and then building the rest of their team with their top 5 pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I'd give up a top 5 pick in the 2nd or 3rd for the chance to take Wentz over Goff. While I love Wentz as a prospect for several reasons, Goff is right there with him. Goff is not as athletic and doesn't have as big of an arm but he has a more accurate deep ball, is 2 years younger, has more game experience, and at a higher level of competition at that, and probably has better pocket awareness, or at least more mature pocket awareness in terms of his footwork.

Wentz is more or less impeccable off the field too, and while I haven't seen as much about Goff in that regard, I have read that he is a big time student of the game who picks things up very quickly.

So no, if our aim is to take a QB, I would not give that up to trade up with Cleveland. The more interesting question is if you have reason to believe that the Chargers will trade down with someone looking to take the other QB, would you trade up with them to ensure that you get one of the top QB's?

I wouldn't trade up for Wentz. Hell at this point I have Goff as the better QB. Wentz might be more of the specimen but to me accuracy and a quick release are two of the most important things for an NFL QB and Goff is better in those two departments. They both have excellent arms and athletic ability. Wentz is just more athletic and has a bigger arm. I have no ability to measure what's going on in their heads so I leave that stuff up to the scouts.

So the only real reason to trade up is if both Wentz and Goff will be gone by 4. Usually when there are 2 QBs at the top of the draft there is one I really like and one I'm not very high on. That's sort of how I felt about the Luck/RGIII draft. It's how I felt about the Manning Leaf draft. Hell even last year I felt that way. This time around though I really like both of these QBs. I'd be thrilled with either.

By the way, I still like Lynch but he does make me nervous at 4 for example. I'd fee a lot better about him in the middle of the first.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I was just kidding about getting out, Goff would be awesome too if he grades out to that spot.

However it's hardly out of touch to think Wentz will surpass him... If you think it's crazy, then maybe you are the one who is out of touch.

Overall Wentz is the guy I like, but obviously I'm pulling for him to show he belongs at that spot and I think there's a good chance he does it.
I was saying about a week ago that Wentz is probably closer to the type of QB Jackson likes so he could definitely be in the mix at 2.

So no I am not out of touch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't trade up for Wentz. Hell at this point I have Goff as the better QB. Wentz might be more of the specimen but to me accuracy and a quick release are two of the most important things for an NFL QB and Goff is better in those two departments. They both have excellent arms and athletic ability. Wentz is just more athletic and has a bigger arm. I have no ability to measure what's going on in their heads so I leave that stuff up to the scouts.

So the only real reason to trade up is if both Wentz and Goff will be gone by 4. Usually when there are 2 QBs at the top of the draft there is one I really like and one I'm not very high on. That's sort of how I felt about the Luck/RGIII draft. It's how I felt about the Manning Leaf draft. Hell even last year I felt that way. This time around though I really like both of these QBs. I'd be thrilled with either.

By the way, I still like Lynch but he does make me nervous at 4 for example. I'd fee a lot better about him in the middle of the first.
I still like him too, he's kind of the forgotten man, but the questions I have about him could really only be cleared up if I had the kind of access that teams/scouts have.

Physically, he's right there with Wentz but the downside is that with Wentz, one of my biggest concerns is that he is generally pretty raw in comparison to Goff, while with Goff one of my biggest concerns is that he comes from a spread offense, with Lynch he has both of those concerns to him. Wentz is raw but has experience in a pro style offense, Goff is refined but comes from a spread, Lynch is raw and comes from a spread.

For me to feel comfortable with Lynch I'd have to be assured that he loves the game and wants to be great because he will need to put in alot of work to reach his potential.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Tennessee has made it known they are willing to trade down. Most likely, if someone trades up they are looking to get ahead of Cleveland to take one of the QBs.

I could definitely see a scenario where both Goff and Wentz are gone.

And if that happens, and Bosa is also gone, I'd hope we trade down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom