Week 9 Gameday Chatter | Cardinals vs. Cowboys| 11/02/2014

data

Forbes #1
Golf can be a verb and the others can't.
That works. Wrestler, swimmer, hustler, stripper.

So who determined what gets to be a verb and doesn't? Why wasn't football, baseball, et al allowed to be verbs?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Also, for those complaining of not running enough...

Keep in mind that we were playing the third ranked rushing defense who sold out to stop the run and forced Weeden to beat them...which he couldn't.
Actually, they're the 1st ranked rush defense. And yet we did have success against them; if only Weeden had been modestly good and not incredibly bad, we might have stood a chance. I was shocked at how badly he played.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Actually, they're the 1st ranked rush defense. And yet we did have success against them; if only Weeden had been modestly good and not incredibly bad, we might have stood a chance. I was shocked at how badly he played.
Murray still averaged 4 yards a carry, and that is with 2 starters on the line being out.

I have no doubts that had we been able to enjoy competent QB play, Murray would've gotten to 25 carries and gone over 100 again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I understand the approach of Weeden having the 1st team snaps in practice, but he was Brad Johnson bad. I start the rookie and get him some experience at very least. Oh, but that factors in running the damn ball like we did in that 6 game stretch.
Jon Kitna was bad at first when he came in for Romo in 2010, but he steadily improved.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jon Kitna was bad at first when he came in for Romo in 2010, but he steadily improved.
We don'y have time to wait for steady improvement.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We don'y have time to wait for steady improvement.
I agree. This season needs to be preserved because with impending contracts and injury potential, this one up could be a lot different next season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh, yeah, not at all. there were multipe throws where i thought Weeden had separate his shoulder on because they were horrid. If he punted the pass, they might've had a better chance.
This is why I'd rather see Vaughan. He might not be good but could he really be any worse?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would go so far as to take a look at Keenum, Hanie (again), or Pryor.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus the added bonus of getting a glimpse of whether Vaughan has anything. Weeden, I think we've seen enough.
Yeah Vaughan isn't really my project of choice but he did show some decent ability in preseason. Maybe we can find out if he can at least be a serviceable backup in this league. I've seen enough of Weeden to say he can't be a serviceable backup. Which isn't all that surprising since Vaughan outplayed Weeden in preseason. Garrett really has a hard time bypassing the top draft pick for someone else though when it comes to these things. Weeden being the former first round pick just seems to automatically get the backup spot without doing anything that I can see to earn it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's not just Garrett. I was impressed with Linehan when things were rolling, but if he shows he can't overcome adversity and will abandon the run, I'll have to chalk up the early season to "small sample".
I don't think Linehan has abandoned the run.

We were at 50% run vs. pass against Arizona all the way until we went down 21-10 with 5 min left in the game... You're gonna have to go pass heavy at that point.

I wouldnt call 50-50 "abandoning the run," even if you are playing a backup QB.

In fact it proves my point.... The difference in the game was how fricking bad Weeden was.

That's why Geng is "wrong" to quote his language. Effective passing game mixed with 50% runs will get you wins. Ineffective passing game mixed with 50% runs will get you 21-10 deficits.

Therefore the problem is the passing attack. Unless you think going to the vaunted 75% run play selection offense is a winning plan against the #1 rush defense who takes the added step of putting 9 in the box. :lol

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think Linehan has abandoned the run.

We were at 50% run vs. pass against Arizona all the way until we went down 21-10 with 5 min left in the game... You're gonna have to go pass heavy at that point.

I wouldnt call 50-50 "abandoning the run," even if you are playing a backup QB.

In fact it proves my point.... The difference in the game was how fricking bad Weeden was.

That's why Geng is "wrong" to quote his language. Effective passing game mixed with 50% runs will get you wins. Ineffective passing game mixed with 50% runs will get you 21-10 deficits.

Therefore the problem is the passing attack. Unless you think going to the vaunted 75% run play selection offense is a winning plan against the #1 rush defense who takes the added step of putting 9 in the box. :lol
Nope, you're still wrong. See my quote of Clay above.

If you want to manipulate the way we look at the stats so badly, then why don't you point out that Murray only had 8 or so carries in the first half (when the game certainly wasn't in heavy pass territory)?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah Vaughan isn't really my project of choice but he did show some decent ability in preseason. Maybe we can find out if he can at least be a serviceable backup in this league. I've seen enough of Weeden to say he can't be a serviceable backup. Which isn't all that surprising since Vaughan outplayed Weeden in preseason. Garrett really has a hard time bypassing the top draft pick for someone else though when it comes to these things. Weeden being the former first round pick just seems to automatically get the backup spot without doing anything that I can see to earn it.
Exactly.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've seen enough of Weeden to say he can't be a serviceable backup.
We haven't seen enough of Weeden to be fair. He did well against Washington and failed vs. Arizona, the best defense we'll see all year, and got very little help from the coaches to scheme open the WRs. I know the coaches rely on Romo to spread the ball, but they needed to understand Weeden's limitations and take some decision-making away form him.

I do believe Weeden's cap at this point is NFL journeyman and not longterm starter. He got his chance in Cleveland and blew it.

Dallas needs to draft a true top QB prospect in the 1st round by 2016 at the latest.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Nope, you're still wrong. See my quote of Clay above.
I did... It doesn't make me "wrong."

If you want to manipulate the way we look at the stats so badly, then why don't you point out that Murray only had 8 or so carries in the first half (when the game certainly wasn't in heavy pass territory)?
We were like at four more passes than runs in the first half.

No dice.

Biggest problem was still the passing game. See booze's response as well to see why you're wrong.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In fact, if the passing game had been more efficient, it would have resulted in more opportunities to call runs for Murray. Because we were obviously still committed to giving the running game 50% of the plays. Which is plenty.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In fact, if the passing game had been more efficient, it would have resulted in more opportunities to call runs for Murray. Because we were obviously still committed to giving the running game 50% of the plays. Which is plenty.
I agree from the standpoint that you have to look at it in terms of percentages and not just pure carries. AKA percent pass vs. percent run. I also think at some point when a team is selling out to stop the run you have to try and make them pay with the pass. This isn't college football. You can't just eliminate the forward pass from your playbook and expect to succeed. The Cardinals had zero respect for our passing game.

Top Bottom