Archer: Dak Prescott quickly learning to lean on Cole Beasley

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak Prescott quickly learning to lean on Cole Beasley

4:52 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Now that Dak Prescott has gone 75 passes without an interception in his first two starts, I wonder if the Dallas Cowboys rookie quarterback will ever throw an interception.

Well, not really. He will have at least one this year at some point.

But I am wondering five things with this week’s installment of Five Wonders.

Away we go:

** I don’t really wonder if Cole Beasley will be able to keep up his current pace but I do wonder what he will finish with this season. In two games, he has 13 catches for 140 yards, which translates to 104 catches for 1,120 yards. That would be an incredible season for a slot receiver. I just can’t see that type of season. But I do believe he will post career highs in catches and yards. He had a career-high 52 catches last season and his yardage total has increased in each of his first four seasons as has his touchdown total. Prescott deserves a lot of credit for a lot of things but he has quickly learned how to find Beasley underneath in soft spots of defenses.

** I wonder if we have seen a changing of the guard at middle linebacker with Justin Durant replacing Anthony Hitchens. Durant was on the field in critical situations against Washington and made a huge fourth-down stop with a pass breakup. Hitchens gave up a touchdown in the opener (although there was supposed to be safety help), a long catch down the seam to Jordan Reed in Week 2 as well as a roughing the passer penalty. Durant is a steady player but has not been able to stay healthy in his career. While he might move into the starting lineup, the Cowboys will need Hitchens later in the season if history is to repeat itself.

** On Sunday I wondered why the Cowboys did not have Ryan Davis active but had the sense they would go with the same defensive line rotation as the opener. Now I wonder how much of a role Davis, who has 11 career sacks, will play this week against the Chicago Bears. In 2013, the Cowboys had a number of defensive linemen sign on a Tuesday and play on a Sunday. If the Cowboys don’t activate Davis, then I don’t know why they signed him at all. Of course, maybe the Cowboys feel they found some pressure by moving Tyrone Crawford to left defensive end with Maliek Collins at defensive tackle. But Jason Garrett said Davis has been a player the Cowboys had been targeting for some time, so they have to get him on the field.

** I wonder what the Cowboys do when tight end James Hanna is eligible to return from the physically unable to perform list. He is recovering from knee surgery in training camp and Geoff Swaim is filling in nicely as the Cowboys’ second tight end to Jason Witten. Hanna is a better blocker but Swaim is earning the right to stay in the lineup. The real wonder is how do the Cowboys get Hanna on the roster. Would they go with four tight ends with Witten, Swaim, Hanna and Gavin Escobar? Would they make a move with Escobar? The gut feeling is they would have to finally move on from the two fullbacks they are carrying on the roster in Keith Smith and Rod Smith. Hanna is a core special teamer and would be able to take on more of that role when he returns.

** This is about things I wonder, but I was wondering if you were wondering the last time the Cowboys had a takeaway in three straight games. It didn’t happen in 2015. They did it to close the 2014 season in which they finished second in the NFL in takeaways. In fact, the Cowboys had at least one takeaway in 15 of 16 games that year. The Cowboys have two interceptions in the first two games with Brandon Carr and Barry Church coming up with the takeaways. Last year, the Cowboys recorded takeaways in back-to-back games just twice on their way to recording just 11 on the season.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Better hope Dak and Beasley keep teaming up because T Williams has been nonexistent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better hope Dak and Beasley keep teaming up because T Williams has been nonexistent.
To be fair against the Redskins it was pretty much throw to Dez while trying to get Norman lined up on anyone else. That anyone else was usually Williams. In that particular game I think Williams was mostly a decoy. You'll see better games out of him against other teams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Williams may have moments, but they are far to few and far between.
I mean he is what he is. He is a nice complimentary player in the offense but it will never be a priority to get him involved in games.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I mean he is what he is. He is a nice complimentary player in the offense but it will never be a priority to get him involved in games.
This doesn't make sense.

I know you're just calling as it seems like this coaching staff wants, but this team is at its best when Dez forces deep crosses to Williams to be open vs trailing coverage.

I can't believe between Butler and Williams neither can get open nor that a good OC could not find ways to feed either or both the ball.

This coaching staff is satisfied with feeding the open guy. Well that's mostly going to be Beasley or a check down for 5 yards.

Unacceptable long term.

dallen

Senior Tech
All I know is good things happen when we throw the ball to Beasley and bad things happen when we throw the ball to Williams.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All I know is good things happen when we throw the ball to Beasley and bad things happen when we throw the ball to Williams.
Yes. At this stage of the Cowboys QB makeup you take what works and has the best percentage. Then gradual phasing in of additional components can be made. This allows for the best chance to win while opening the playbook at the speed the Rookie can effectively assimilate it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't disagree with this at all. Beasley gets open, he catches the ball and we get first downs. I don't know if I'm so down on Williams though. I meam when everything is working in the passing game, does it matter if those balls aren't going to Williams? Its not like we threw 5 balls his direction with 1 catch. Dak just sort of never even looked in his direction last game because everything else was working so well.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think it's also the game plan. Williams tends to run longer routes and we are focusing on the shorter to intermediate routes.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it's also the game plan. Williams tends to run longer routes and we are focusing on the shorter to intermediate routes.
Dez ran longer routes too.

I think passes to Williams will come. Basically we are very limited right now with Dak learning. People will start game planning the short game for sure.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Beasley is better suited as a safety valve than Williams, he's perfect for a rookie QB learning the ropes. Williams will never be an inside, short range, move the chains type of receiver any more than Beasley will ever be a deep threat.

Beasley is good at getting separation on short routes, Williams is (sometimes) good at gaining separation on deep routes.

Top Bottom