TV Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Henry Rollins inspired The Walking Dead’s Negan, thought he was a shoo-in for the part
By Danette Chavez@bonmotvivant
Jun 17, 2016 10:30 AM

Thanks to online quizzes, any fan can determine which character they would be on their favorite TV shows. But Henry Rollins had more reason than most to think he could be a part of The Walking Dead—it turns out he was the physical model for the nefarious Negan. In an interview with Forbes, Rollins reveals that Charlie Adlard, artist and penciller for the Walking Dead comics, had based the character on him. He doesn’t clarify if that means the character has his temperament, build, or bat, but he did feel he was a “shoo-in” for the part.

“The internet was wild with speculation because in the upcoming season, they were going to introduce the character. A woman that works in my office put my name and the character’s name into an internet search and all this speculation came up. I went for the audition, and there were five pages of really cool dialogue with all these curses and it was beautiful, but I didn’t get it.
Despite giving a profanity-ridden audition, Rollins was ultimately passed over for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who made his first appearance as Negan in that “controversial” season six finale. The actor-musician signed a non-disclosure agreement, so he couldn’t talk about his audition until the thing had lapsed. On the bright side, Rollins agrees that Morgan looks like Negan, which means he looks like Rollins, so maybe they can play irascible brothers in a movie down the road. In the meantime, you can catch Rollins in the thriller, The Last Heist, which hits theaters, VOD, and iTunes today.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Did any one else catch the 5 part 30 for 30 on OJ? I thought it was excellent. If you're interesting in watching it they have all 5 parts available for streaming on the ESPN app.

Lots of interesting facts and insight came out during this documentary.

Even though I have all this new information about OJ and the case, and it's very apparent that he's guilty as hell, I'm still fine with the not guilty verdict. Also, the documentary helped drive home the point why myself and most blacks cheered the verdict.

Fresh off the Rodney King verdict and several other questionable incidents involving the LAPD and the legal system, it was a "now you see how we feel" moment.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Did any one else catch the 5 part 30 for 30 on OJ? I thought it was excellent. If you're interesting in watching it they have all 5 parts available for streaming on the ESPN app.

Lots of interesting facts and insight came out during this documentary.

Even though I have all this new information about OJ and the case, and it's very apparent that he's guilty as hell, I'm still fine with the not guilty verdict. Also, the documentary helped drive home the point why myself and most blacks cheered the verdict.

Fresh off the Rodney King verdict and several other questionable incidents involving the LAPD and the legal system, it was a "now you see how we feel" moment.
It is very good but for someone to say they're fine with the verdict despite him being guilty is one of the most ridiculous things imaginable.

If you want to say it's an indictment of how fucked up the system is, then sure, I get it, but it also means that you have debased yourself and your morals in the name of revenge, which is to say that you're really no better than your oppressors.

Acknowledging that the verdict was a "taste of their own medicine" to the system, and that it served a sort of notice, and thinking a murderer should be behind bars for what he did to two innocent people are not mutually exclusive.

Being "happy" that he got off (which is different from being happy about serving notice to an oppressive judicial apparatus) while acknowledging that he was definitely the murderer is evil.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Henry Rollins inspired The Walking Dead’s Negan, thought he was a shoo-in for the part
By Danette Chavez@bonmotvivant
Jun 17, 2016 10:30 AM

Thanks to online quizzes, any fan can determine which character they would be on their favorite TV shows. But Henry Rollins had more reason than most to think he could be a part of The Walking Dead—it turns out he was the physical model for the nefarious Negan. In an interview with Forbes, Rollins reveals that Charlie Adlard, artist and penciller for the Walking Dead comics, had based the character on him. He doesn’t clarify if that means the character has his temperament, build, or bat, but he did feel he was a “shoo-in” for the part.

Despite giving a profanity-ridden audition, Rollins was ultimately passed over for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who made his first appearance as Negan in that “controversial” season six finale. The actor-musician signed a non-disclosure agreement, so he couldn’t talk about his audition until the thing had lapsed. On the bright side, Rollins agrees that Morgan looks like Negan, which means he looks like Rollins, so maybe they can play irascible brothers in a movie down the road. In the meantime, you can catch Rollins in the thriller, The Last Heist, which hits theaters, VOD, and iTunes today.
Probably should have been cast.

There is a movie Rollins made that I thought he did pretty good in...it is on Netflix, called He Never Died.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It is very good but for someone to say they're fine with the verdict despite him being guilty is one of the most ridiculous things imaginable.

If you want to say it's an indictment of how fucked up the system is, then sure, I get it, but it also means that you have debased yourself and your morals in the name of revenge, which is to say that you're really no better than your oppressors.

Acknowledging that the verdict was a "taste of their own medicine" to the system, and that it served a sort of notice, and thinking a murderer should be behind bars for what he did to two innocent people are not mutually exclusive.

Being "happy" that he got off (which is different from being happy about serving notice to an oppressive judicial apparatus) while acknowledging that he was definitely the murderer is evil.
Actually it's not ridiculous. The prosecution was a cluster fuck....plain and simple. That's why I said I'm fine with the verdict. I'm not happy that a murdered walked.

Cochran and the dream team ran circles around Clark and her team. As someone on Twitter put it...."It was like watching ambulance chasers versus supreme court justices."

I find it hard to believe that you watched the documentary and didn't walk away shaking your head at the performance of the prosecution and their key witnesses. Again, THAT'S why I said I'm fine with the verdict. They blew it.

And the taste of their own medicine comment was a general comment about how blacks felt 20 years ago when all this was going on. But since you're not black you probably don't and won't fully understand.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Actually it's not ridiculous. The prosecution was a cluster fuck....plain and simple. That's why I said I'm fine with the verdict. I'm not happy that a murdered walked.

Cochran and the dream team ran circles around Clark and her team. As someone on Twitter put it...."It was like watching ambulance chasers versus supreme court justices."

I find it hard to believe that you watched the documentary and didn't walk away shaking your head at the performance of the prosecution and their key witnesses. Again, THAT'S why I said I'm fine with the verdict. They blew it.

And the taste of their own medicine comment was a general comment about how blacks felt 20 years ago when all this was going on. But since you're not black you probably don't and won't fully understand.
I am watching it now.

Learning about what that Korean shop owner got after killing that teenage girl was especially appalling.

I mean WTF.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

It's not that hard to imagine what it would feel like to live in a city where cops are running wild, abusing people, doing whatever they want, not being punished at all and are instead put on a pedestal. I didn't grow up in Wichita you know, I have plenty of experience with people of different backgrounds and cultures. It's obvious that it wasn't just a simple murder case, the LA cops/judicial system were on trial just as much as OJ and I get that.

With that said, it's one thing to appreciate the system failing in the OJ case because it brings to light what black people had been dealing with for decades and makes other people feel what they felt, it's another to openly celebrate a killer getting off because of a "now we got ours, let's show them" mentality.

It's basically an eye for an eye mentality but instead of punishing the actual perpetrators you're punishing an innocent to indirectly punish the perpetrator because any pound of flesh will do. If you want to say that the defense obviously out maneuvered the prosecution and that the verdict reflects that, that's fine, I'm not arguing that, but anybody who celebrates a murderer getting off just because they feel it evens some score is lowering themselves to the level of the corrupt cops that oppressed them for years.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I am watching it now.

Learning about what that Korean shop owner got after killing that teenage girl was especially appalling.

I mean WTF.
That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You had that incident plus the Rodney King beating on video yet somehow the black victims didn't receive justice. Plus you had the LAPD just running wild doing whatever to whoever.....So it wasn't that far of a leap for blacks to believe that the system was rigged to set up OJ.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, OJ is innocent now?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The giant dying hurt about as much as Hodor.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who said that?
The connotation was that he was set up. Or at very least it was understandable that people thought he was. It's a sick thought, and one that I though 1big was above.

dallen

Senior Tech
The connotation was that he was set up. Or at very least it was understandable that people thought he was. It's a sick thought, and one that I though 1big was above.
He can be guilty and still get set up. There was definitely a racist issue with the LAPD. I think some people in the LAPD treated the case like any other poor black guy and they cut corners. Obviously I'm not black, but for me the OJ trial was as much about class as it was race. He was able to afford attorneys that were good enough to find and exploit every crack in the state's case.

Top Bottom