Watkins - Cowboys expect to sign DE Jeremy Mincey

D

Deuce

So we snooped around Ayers and signed his teammate?

He'd be a solid DE in place of Spencer if we get a legit pass rusher on the other side.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Him and McClain are at least hopeful to be NFL caliber players, unlike Drake Nevis, Jarius Wynn, Corey Irvin, Edgar Jones, etc, who are cut-before-final-cut-day type guys.

Still, I'd be unhappy if we are counting on them to be more than depth.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Snoozer signing. But hey, we felt compelled to give the guy $2 million guaranteed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I remember the arrow was pointed up a couple of years back when he was the only threat to get a sack as a Jaguar. Guess that season was a fluke.

hstour

Brand New Member
Him and McClain are at least hopeful to be NFL caliber players, unlike Drake Nevis, Jarius Wynn, Corey Irvin, Edgar Jones, etc, who are cut-before-final-cut-day type guys.

Still, I'd be unhappy if we are counting on them to be more than depth.
Depth/rotational players are all they are expected to be, I believe. But that also depends on how the draft falls.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Scouting Jeremy Mincey
March, 13, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- On Wednesday the Dallas Cowboys signed Jeremy Mincey to a two-year deal worth $4.5 million to be part of their defensive line rotation.

So who is Mincey?

I watched him play two games from last year while with the Jacksonville Jaguars against the Tennessee Titans and Arizona Cardinals. The Jaguars defense figures to look more like what the Cowboys defense will use in 2014 than what he did when he ended the season with the Denver Broncos.

According to an AFC personnel man, Mincey is mostly a left defensive end and is better against the run than the pass.

In those two games, he played all four spots on the defensive line but mostly played left defensive end. He moved into defensive tackle in passing situations and was able to generate a decent push up the middle. One thing I noticed: He was not on the ground a lot.

At times he would hesitate off the ball and wait to engage with a blocker, but he did not stop moving. While at right defensive end he was able to chase down Chris Johnson from the backside. At left defensive end he was able to handle the tight ends for the most part and was able to walk the tackle back into the quarterback.

His sack against the Cardinals came after Carson Palmer tripped pulling away from the center but he forced a sack when he bulled a tight end back into Palmer. When the Jaguars went to third-and-short distances, he was on the field.

Against the Titans he played 35 of 73 snaps. Against the Cardinals he played 26 of 69 snaps. It would not be wise to play him that many more snaps and the sense is the Cowboys would like to keep their snaps among their defensive linemen fairly even.

Mincey's versatility could allow George Selvie to spend more time on the right side, but I don’t know if he is built to be a full-time right defensive end.

Selvie proved to be a find last year, picking up seven sacks. Mincey has a lot of Selvie’s traits but he might not play with the same amount of thump.

Texas_Outlaw7

Brand New Member
Bryan Broaddus also mentions he can play spot duty at the 3, so he has some rotational value as a back-up.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Mincey looking to make his own name
March, 14, 2014
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Jeremy Mincey has some solid anticipation skills.

Before the newest member of the Dallas Cowboys could be asked about DeMarcus Ware, he brought up Ware’s name. “I’m not trying to come in and replace D-Ware,” Mincey said. “You can’t replace players like that, you know what I mean? You can’t replace a player like DeMarcus Ware, but you can improvise and find guys with different gifts and different talents and see what happens.”

That’s the Cowboys plan. They gave Mincey a two-year deal worth as much as $4.5 million to be part of a defensive line rotation to replace Ware.

Ware, who was cut by the Cowboys on Tuesday and signed by the Denver Broncos on Wednesday, is the all-time leader in Cowboys’ history with 117 sacks. Mincey has 20 in his career.

“I’m trying to live up to my expectations and the organization’s expectations,” Mincey said. “I didn’t sign a deal like DeMarcus Ware’s so why would you expect me to be D-Ware? That should be out of people’s minds. DeMarcus Ware is definitely a player I do respect and always will respect to the utmost, but I’m just focused on being the best I can be for the Dallas Cowboys.”

In 2011 Mincey had eight sacks and forced four fumbles for the Jacksonville Jaguars. A year later he had three sacks and forced two fumbles in 16 starts. He played eight games for the Jaguars before he was released and ended up with the Broncos, who signed Ware to a three-year, $30 million deal a day after he was released by the Cowboys.

He had four tackles in 18 snaps in the Broncos’ Super Bowl loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Losing in the Super Bowl, “definitely fuels you, especially being that close to victory,” Mincey said. “It feels good to be on a team like Dallas where we’ve got an owner like Jerry (Jones) who will find the right pieces of the puzzle and make it work.”

Mincey hopes to be a piece to the puzzle.

“I’ll do whatever they tell me,” Mincey said. “If they feel like me playing one position and I’m best suited for it, I’ll follow my leader’s lead. I’m sure these guys will put me in a great position to make plays. That’s what I’m trying to do: find the right niche for my game to bring some energy and work ethic and leadership to Dallas.”

He knows the team’s history. He came close to a Super Bowl with Denver but fell short. Jones let him touch one of the Super Bowl trophies in his office before signing his contract.

“When I say I was the largest Cowboys’ fan, I was the largest Cowboys fan,” Mincey said. “I cried when they lost against the 49ers when Deion Sanders was dancing around. I was pissed. That stuck with me.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn’t sign a deal like DeMarcus Ware’s so why would you expect me to be D-Ware?
Winning attitude right here. Can't we get more guys like this?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He had an interview on Sirius a little while ago. Didn't sound too bright.

Top Bottom