My take on Romo

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
People have argued for years about whether or not Romo has the ability to win the "big game". Some say he's a clutch player, some say he folds under pressure. He's certainly provided plenty of evidence for both sides over the years which makes the argument never-ending. Personally, I don't think the pressure of a big game is what gets to him. I believe the pressure he puts on himself due to his circumstances surrounding him are what causes his downfall.

Romo has never had a complete team around him. If the defense was good, the offense wasn't. If he had a good corps of receivers, the o-line was a problem. Or the running back was the problem. Whatever the problem was, Romo has never had a complete team around him and that's where the internal pressure comes from.

I believe last week's game against Green Bay was a perfect example. Romo knew the defense couldn't hold so he put all the pressure on his own shoulders, thinking HE had to make a play to keep the Cowboys in it. When he gets the idea that everything depends on him and that HE has to make a play, he takes chances he shouldn't and ends up doing something that makes us all cringe.

The interception on 2nd and 6 last week was bad. Garrett called a run/pass option depending on what the defense showed. If you look at the all-22, Green Bay's safeties were only seven yards off the line of scrimmage. That means all 11 defenders were in the box, so Romo (correctly) went with the pass play. His mistakes were his failure to change the protection to account for Clay Matthews coming off the end unblocked and after pulling off a Houdini escape, throwing off-balance and slightly behind Miles Austin so Shields could intercept the pass. That's not a play-calling error, it's an execution error that I blame on Romo's belief that he had to make a play then and there or the game is lost.

Of course this is just my opinion and it doesn't account for fumbling the snap on a field goal attempt and it doesn't absolve Romo of execution errors like the one described above. I just believe it helps explain why he can be a clutch player in some situations and folds faster than the Chicago Cubs in September in others.

What do you think?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think I am sick of talking about Tony Romo all the time.

I am tired of people suggesting he needs a "complete" team around him. I am tired of the excuses, the pandering, all of it.

He's a good QB, one that obviously needs things to be perfect to offset his nature.

I just know I am ready to move on.

But we are married to the mook for a while.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have said it a few times, but it is worth repeating. Romo is not a leader, which is OK if you have a leader as your HC, which we do not have...so he is doomed to fail by having to try to be something he is not. He needs to be led by a Holmgren, Gruden, etc...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I have said it a few times, but it is worth repeating. Romo is not a leader, which is OK if you have a leader as your HC, which we do not have...so he is doomed to fail by having to try to be something he is not. He needs to be led by a Holmgren, Gruden, etc...
I agree with this. Romo needs a strong coach and a stable culture to succeed.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
You'll notice I neither defended or attacked Romo in my post. It wasn't about whether or not I supported him or wanted to get rid of him, it was just my opinion on him. And you can be tired of talking about him, but since he's the quarterback of the team this message board is based on, it would be slightly ridiculous to expect us to ignore his presence on the team and never talk about him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You'll notice I neither defended or attacked Romo in my post. It wasn't about whether or not I supported him or wanted to get rid of him, it was just my opinion on him. And you can be tired of talking about him, but since he's the quarterback of the team this message board is based on, it would be slightly ridiculous to expect us to ignore his presence on the team and never talk about him.
I think you misunderstood.

I just meant to express the fact I am tired of having a lightning rod QB who when he fricks up it blows up in to the end of the damn world. The hypercriticism he's got from the mass media has made a lot of Cowboy fans react in the polar opposite way...to the point that they exaggerate how good he is and how awful this franchise would be without the guy. It gets annoying when you can't even bitch about your QB. That's what almost all fans do.

That's what I mean by the fact I am tired of talking about him.

I know a lot people still think he hung the moon, and that's fine.

I don't get it, but hey.

If we moved on, I would be excited to have a new QB, but then scared of what Jones will do.

But I certainly am quite tired of the roller coaster that comes with him as the QB.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
I think you misunderstood.

I just meant to express the fact I am tired of having a lightning rod QB who when he fricks up it blows up in to the end of the damn world. The hypercriticism he's got from the mass media has made a lot of Cowboy fans react in the polar opposite way...to the point that they exaggerate how good he is and how awful this franchise would be without the guy. It gets annoying when you can't even bitch about your QB. That's what almost all fans do.

That's what I mean by the fact I am tired of talking about him.

I know a lot people still think he hung the moon, and that's fine.

I don't get it, but hey.

If we moved on, I would be excited to have a new QB, but then scared of what Jones will do.

But I certainly am quite tired of the roller coaster that comes with him as the QB.
Yep, I misunderstood. You have my most sincere apologies and I'm on my way to the garage right now to get a pair of rusty pliers to pull a tooth and mail it to you as tribute. :)

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep, I misunderstood. You have my most sincere apologies and I'm on my way to the garage right now to get a pair of rusty pliers to pull a tooth and mail it to you as tribute. :)
Don't get your tounge in the pliers as well when you pull that tooth because right now it is positioned in your cheek.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Don't get your tounge in the pliers as well when you pull that tooth because right now it is positioned in your cheek.
The apology was sincere. After enough Jim Beam the rest may become sincere. I'll just need a mailing address.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Apology may be, pliers for tooth extraction......nuh uh.
I've done it before. As someone who deals with kidney stones on a regular basis, pain is not an obstacle. As a truck driver, neither is common sense or intelligence. As a Cowboys fan, neither is shame.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I've done it before. As someone who deals with kidney stones on a regular basis, pain is not an obstacle. As a truck driver, neither is common sense or intelligence. As a Cowboys fan, neither is shame.
Well then I am sure old booze would enjoy a molar on his behalf.

Top Bottom