'Duck Dynasty': Phil Robertson anti-gay sermon surfaces

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
'Duck Dynasty': Phil Robertson anti-gay sermon surfaces

Dec. 20, 2013, 12:20 PM EST

By Tim Molloy
TheWrap

A newly resurfaced video of "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson preaching against homosexuality arrives at a very inconvenient time for A&E.

A 2010 sermon circulated online Friday in which he grouped gays with people full of "murder, envy, strife, hatred." It comes after A&E suspended Robertson Wednesday from cable's top-rated reality show after he made anti-gay comments in an interview with GQ. On Thursday, his family said they "cannot imagine" continuing the show without their patriarch.

The 2010 video emerges just as A&E is trying to find a middle ground that will allow the show to go on. On one side are social conservatives outraged at Robertson's suspension for expressing what he considers his religious-based belief that homosexuality is a sin. On the other are people who say religion is no excuse for bigotry.

"First they say, 'There is no God. Get him out of your mind,'" Robertson says in the speech. "Then they bow down to birds, animals and reptiles, and each other. And the first thing you see coming out of them is gross sexual immorality. They will dishonor their bodies with one another, degrade each other. Uh, is that going on in the United States of America? Look around. God's not there ... And boy is there some immorality going on around here. Does it get worse?"

Robertson never explains who exactly "they" are. In his GQ interview, he similarly grouped gays with "terrorists" and "drunks," saying they were all sinners.

This time, he seems to be adding animal lovers to the group.

"Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions," he continued. "They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That's what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country. So what are you gonna do Pennsylvania? Just run with them? You're going to die. Don't forget that."

Making the video even more problematic for A&E is the fact that it is, well, a video. Previously, news shows fixated on the story could only run quotes from the print interview. Now they can run Robertson's videotaped remarks, making his statements all the more vivid.

The sermon in the video drew attention in August for Robertson's condemnation of abortion. But the gay remarks were largely overlooked. The video was scrutinized anew after Robertson's remarks to GQ.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This has gotten out of hand. So, now they are digging up his past just to try and reinforce their point? C'mon, man. It's not that big of a fucking deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My only real question is...

It's a "reality TV show", right?

So this hillbilly, right or wrong, can't express his views?

Too bad TNN doesn't exist anymore. It would be a huge win for that network.

Now I bet network execs are too chickenshit to touch it.

But then again...it is just cool for Logo to exist. No problems.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This has gotten out of hand. So, now they are digging up his past just to try and reinforce their point? C'mon, man. It's not that big of a fucking deal.
That show is a pretty big deal.

Hell, what's hilarious is that I bet Wal-Mart is freaking shit. The local ones here have had Duck Dynasty end-caps and racks in the aisle with the merchandise for several months.

Cotton

Staff member
That show is a pretty big deal.

Hell, what's hilarious is that I bet Wal-Mart is freaking shit. The local ones here have had Duck Dynasty end-caps and racks in the aisle with the merchandise for several months.
Yeah, but who gives a damn what he says? So, he hates fags. Who gives a damn?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Judging by the reaction, lots of people do.
I was feeling sorry for him for just being a misunderstood hillbilly under Sarah Palin started spouting off in defense of him.

But in the same vein, I am really getting less and less tolerant of the fake ass aghast shit you see when someone makes anti-gay, racist, etc. comments.

Been going on forever, but all of the sudden now it is like "OMG, he said THAT?"

Uhhh...goes with the territory. People say this in sermons in churches all over the country every Sunday.

Cotton

Staff member
I was feeling sorry for him for just being a misunderstood hillbilly under Sarah Palin started spouting off in defense of him.

But in the same vein, I am really getting less and less tolerant of the fake ass aghast shit you see when someone makes anti-gay, racist, etc. comments.

Been going on forever, but all of the sudden now it is like "OMG, he said THAT?"

Uhhh...goes with the territory. People say this in sermons in churches all over the country every Sunday.
That shit kills me. The victim card is too damn easy to play in this country right now. It's almost encouraged.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Who doesn't have an old relative who is racist or says other things you know would cause a firestorm if they were a celebrity. Come on. You put old people on TV and they are going to say something impolite.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who doesn't have an old relative who is racist or says other things you know would cause a firestorm if they were a celebrity. Come on. You put old people on TV and they are going to say something impolite.
Bite your tounge.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm tired of PC bullshit and fake outrage over this stuff. The man answered some questions based on his religious beliefs. I don't follow his opinion but I don't follow a lot of people on TV's opinions. That doesn't mean I'm going to act all outraged as though he was doing something wrong by expressing his belief system.

By the way I could totally see this show on CMT. I think they already have a show called Redneck Island. Seems like Duck Dynasty would fit in perfectly there.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Since Phil is such a big fan of the bible, here's one the old man of the duck family needs to adhere to: Proverbs 18:2 "A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion". Quack on that for a while.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Since Phil is such a big fan of the bible, here's one the old man of the duck family needs to adhere to: Proverbs 18:2 "A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion". Quack on that for a while.
Thank you and may We offer the same to you. :art

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I've said it all day on Facebook and I'll say it here.... This is a brilliant publicity stunt by ole' Phil and A&E. The ratings will have never been better.

Top Bottom