Wentz or Prescott Article

lostxn

DCC 4Life
"If you said Wentz for all those draft picks Philly paid or Dak for the fourth-rounder Dallas used, I will take Dak," one personnel director said. "Heads up, I will still take Wentz."
I agree with this. We draft Zeke + Dak for less draft capital than the Eagles drafted Wentz alone. Easy call...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with this. We draft Zeke + Dak for less draft capital than the Eagles drafted Wentz alone. Easy call...
There is also a money aspect to all of this as well. Now Wentz is obviously cheap for an NFL starting QB he still cost about 7 mil a year or a little less. Dak on the other hand is earning something like $500,000. Also a pretty big difference that gives you more flexibility to build talent around the QB.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There is also a money aspect to all of this as well. Now Wentz is obviously cheap for an NFL starting QB he still cost about 7 mil a year or a little less. Dak on the other hand is earning something like $500,000. Also a pretty big difference that gives you more flexibility to build talent around the QB.
It's a drain for sure, though nothing like Romo's current salary level. Even if we flat out cut Romo we still eat a huge amount of cap space next year. Philly sucked down Bradford's hit all this year.

Wentz's rookie deal is for five years while Dak's is for four, and that also favors Philly.

Regardless, they're both going to sign monster deals in a few years if they and the sport remain healthy.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's a drain for sure, though nothing like Romo's current salary level. Even if we flat out cut Romo we still eat a huge amount of cap space next year. Philly sucked down Bradford's hit all this year.

Wentz's rookie deal is for five years while Dak's is for four, and that also favors Philly.

Regardless, they're both going to sign monster deals in a few years if they and the sport remain healthy.
Once again we gain money by cutting Romo next year between 5 and 10 million depending on when he is cut.

And this is not like Ware because you would not be adding anything to the cap because you already have his replacement.

It'snot a drain it's cap relief.

midswat

... soon
NBC 5's Newy Scruggs and NJ.com Eagles reporter Eliot Shorr-Parks recently debated who's a better quarterback: the Cowboys' Dak Prescott or the Eagles' Carson Wentz.

Shorr-Park's take: Prescott is a game manager.

"A game manager?" Scruggs responded. "The rookie of the year is not a game manager. He got Tony Romo run out of the game - he ain't no game manager. He's a good player the same way Carson Wentz is a good player so give him some respect there. Please, give him that."

Shorr-Parks said everyone in Philly is talking about who's better between the quarterbacks. Scruggs said there's no competition.

"Look at their rookie seasons," he insisted.

"Dak had better weapons to work with. Carson had far less to work with," Shorr-Parks said.

From Scruggs: "So are you going to sit up here and say if you give Carson Wentz all these great weapons... he'll be better than Dak Prescott? Stop homering, please."

Also on Wentz: The Philadelphia Inquirer's Zach Berman talked to SportsDay on Wentz this offseason.

"What stood out to me during the spring was how a full year benefited the key figures on the Eagles - quarterback Carson Wentz and coach Doug Pederson," Berman said of his takeaway from OTAs in May. "Both are entering their second seasons in the key roles in the organization, and you can see how much more comfortable they are relative to the first year. It was more obvious with Wentz, who now knows the offense, most of his teammates, and his spot on the team.

"He also has better offensive weapons around him. He has focused on improved his mechanics - especially his base while passing. He needs to be more consistently accurate. That's the case with many young quarterbacks, so it's not something that should be of great concern. But when it comes to sailing passes high or some of his interceptions, there can be technical improvements."

Carp

DCC 4Life
Awesome...replace the Eli or Romo debate for this one.

midswat

... soon
Awesome...replace the Eli or Romo debate for this one.
It's going to follow them their entire careers. Unless one of them leaves the division. A la Phillip Rivers vs Jay Cutler.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Wentz will put up bigger numbers, but Prescott wins more. Our emphasis on the run game...10% more a game than Philly...so Wentz will just have more chances. They are built more to throw.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think Wentz will put up bigger numbers, but Prescott wins more. Our emphasis on the run game...10% more a game than Philly...so Wentz will just have more chances. They are built more to throw.
That will just give Wentz more of an opportunity to fail, which he showed to be quite good at last year.

townsend

Banned
Prescott is proven, Wentz isn't. CW may develop into a HOF quarterback that's better than Dak, but as it stands today, it isn't a conversation.

Prescott's a pro bowl caliber, OROTY, division champion, 13-3 QB.

Wentz is a development project still.

vince

Not So New Member
Prescott is proven, Wentz isn't. CW may develop into a HOF quarterback that's better than Dak, but as it stands today, it isn't a conversation.

How do you figure?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah Wentz may throw for more yards than Dak but in every category that matters Dak is light years ahead right now.

townsend

Banned
How do you figure?
Anything's possible. I'm not saying it's going to happen. You just never know, my point was that Wentz definitely hasn't reached his potential, and there's no telling how good, or bad he might be. Which is different than Dak who has already proven himself to be a franchise QB.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I haven't seen the flashes of greatness you'd expect from the 2nd overall pick from Wentz.

There was a ton of dinking and dunking, that's for sure.

Aikman, with one of the worst supporting casts in NFL history, still showed flashes of the courage that would eventually lead the team to multiple Superbowls.

Wentz, um, no. I'd have to see a huge leap of improvement in year two to believe Philly didn't just waste a ton of picks and money.

townsend

Banned
I haven't seen the flashes of greatness you'd expect from the 2nd overall pick from Wentz.

There was a ton of dinking and dunking, that's for sure.

Aikman, with one of the worst supporting casts in NFL history, still showed flashes of the courage that would eventually lead the team to multiple Superbowls.

Wentz, um, no. I'd have to see a huge leap of improvement in year two to believe Philly didn't just waste a ton of picks and money.
Aikman's rookie season was exponentially worse than Wentz's, and he had Michael Irvin.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Aikman's rookie season was exponentially worse than Wentz's, and he had Michael Irvin.
Mike was hurt almost the whole year, but in his second game Aikman hit Mike for a 65 yard TD.

He also set a then NFL-rookie record throwing for 379 yards in a game where he was literally knocked unconscious.

Carson Wentz just hasn't shown courage like that, taking risks to make the big throw with a shit-OL targeting no-names like James Dixon in a game that's utterly meaningless.

Troy took that shot when he could have played it safe. That's courage the stats just don't show.

That's the kind of play that inspires others.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Mike was hurt almost the whole year, but in his second game Aikman hit Mike for a 65 yard TD.

He also set a then NFL-rookie record throwing for 379 yards in a game where he was literally knocked unconscious.

Carson Wentz just hasn't shown courage like that, taking risks to make the big throw with a shit-OL targeting no-names like James Dixon in a game that's utterly meaningless.

Troy took that shot when he could have played it safe. That's courage the stats just don't show.

It also shortens your career. :art

townsend

Banned

That's not what I see. Carson threw under pressure for big games multiple times.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Some serious underselling of Wentz here. If we hadn't lucked into Prescott I'd still be cursing Philly for moving up to snag him in front of us. I think Wentz will be better than Mariota or Winston.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some serious underselling of Wentz here. If we hadn't lucked into Prescott I'd still be cursing Philly for moving up to snag him in front of us. I think Wentz will be better than Mariota or Winston.
I think so too. He is athletic as hell and has a really strong arm. Last year he made some impressive down field throws. Yes the majority of what he did was dink and dunk by design but when they let him throw down field I thought he was pretty good.

On the flip side of that his accuracy was a little erratic in my opinion. And accuracy is so important with a QB. Still I agree with you. I like him better than Winston or Mariota. And definitely better than guys like Bortles in the past.

Top Bottom