QB Controversy Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah, I just don't like that. Not if Dak is winning games. Just seems like we are hurting the team because of our appreciation to what Romo has done for us in the past.
Not appreciation, but rather, deference. In other words, Romo is still a better QB until proven otherwise.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yeah, I just don't like that. Not if Dak is winning games. Just seems like we are hurting the team because of our appreciation to what Romo has done for us in the past.
They're hoping to get Romo one more wildcard win before he retires.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not appreciation, but rather, deference. In other words, Romo is still a better QB until proven otherwise.
Better statistically or better for the team? I mean do you know how many times Romo has started a season 3-1 or better in his career? It seems like people feel like Romo has to prove he isn't better than Dak before they will give Dak the job. But why is it that Dak can't simply prove that he is the right guy for the job? I guess I don't get the logic behind "you have to give Romo a chance this year." Why do you have to do that?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If Romo Comes back and stinks up the field or gets pounded in the dirt again that may be the case. If not Prescott is still in the wings. Seems like a lot of folks have already pronounced Romo's demise. He might blow up but can't we wait to see if it really happens?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Better statistically or better for the team? I mean do you know how many times Romo has started a season 3-1 or better in his career? It seems like people feel like Romo has to prove he isn't better than Dak before they will give Dak the job. But why is it that Dak can't simply prove that he is the right guy for the job? I guess I don't get the logic behind "you have to give Romo a chance this year." Why do you have to do that?
But that's the whole point. It is an unanswered question that will have to play out to a definite outcome. It's necessary because there are a lot of scenarios to be dealt with depending on the outcome.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo as Jets starter? New York already starting the chatter

By SportsDayDFW.com

The New York Jets' quarterback situation is a mess. So that led NJ.com to inquire about who might be a future QB.

And, of course, the Dallas Cowboys' Tony Romo came up.

Romo is injured and set to return for Week 8, but rookie Dak Prescott is playing so well, some are wondering if the Cowboys shouldn't just keep Prescott as the starter.
So after a bunch of ifs, here's one more. If Romo were available, would the Jets be interested?

"If that becomes a possibility," one league source told NJ.com, "yes. Absolutely. You have to. No questions asked."

The Jets' current starter Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown 10 picks in four games. They also have Geno Smith, who has never shown he can be a reliable starter. Both are likely to be gone. NJ.com says: "That leaves the Jets with rookie Christian Hackenberg, and last year's fourth-round pick Bryce Petty, as the only quarterbacks under contract heading into the 2017 season."

But what about Romo's age (36) and injury history? When asked if the Jets could look past any injury concerns, a source told the site, "I would think so. He's fragile, no question about it, but the Jets are in a win-now situation. Those guys on that team are old. You can't go into next season with Petty or Hackenberg, unless you make the decision to rebuild."

Romo's massive contract means the Cowboys likely won't cut him (they would take too much of a salary cap hit). So Romo would have to restructure his deal and maybe a trade would have to happen.

"Dallas isn't going to cut him," a second source told NJ.com. "Plus, Jerry loves the guy. He loves Tony. He's not going anywhere."

But as NJ.com pointed out: "It wasn't long ago that the Jets made an improbable trade to acquire an aging Brett Favre from the Packers in 2008."

Would you take a 1st and 3rd?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But that's the whole point. It is an unanswered question that will have to play out to a definite outcome. It's necessary because there are a lot of scenarios to be dealt with depending on the outcome.
So why do you HAVE to see Tony Romo crash and burn before you can move on? Why can't you just look at Dak and what he has done and say, "you've earned the right to continue to start?" You make it all about Romo and what he can or can't do and what he has or hasn't done. What I'm saying is why should we ignore what Dak has done as a starter?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In a heartbeat. Dump his massive contract and get draft pick compensation? Sounds like a win/win/win for Dallas.
So would I. Too bad Jerry would never even consider it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So why do you HAVE to see Tony Romo crash and burn before you can move on? Why can't you just look at Dak and what he has done and say, "you've earned the right to continue to start?" You make it all about Romo and what he can or can't do and what he has or hasn't done. What I'm saying is why should we ignore what Dak has done as a starter?
Cause he HASN'T earned it. He's won three games. Romo has a career of performances better than Dak's.

You are assuming Romo moving forward is 2015 Romo. But if he's 2014 Romo, Dak hasn't earned the right to play over that. Why would anyone consider what Dak has done -- winning three games and throwing three Tds -- earning ANYTHING over the second best QB in the league? Is New England benching Brady just cause Garrapolo won a couple games? You guys love to run your mouths about Brady after all!

If Romo had an entire 2015 season of sucking like he did against the Panthers, that's another matter. But that's not what happened. He was injured, without a running game, and without Bryant.

And he still went 3-1.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones doesn't want to pay a bench warmer for one. If he declares Dak the starter then that becomes a big management issue. Trade him? Who will pick him up? Do a long term deal with Dak? Will need Romo.s money to get it done. Bench Romo and risk veteran lay downs. Just to mention a few. Romo coming back and proving himself is something that needs to happen to set the tone for future decisions.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep, three games isn't nearly enough.

I mean, look at those ten games in 2006. We thought we had a franchise QB and all we got was a bumbling choker.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In a heartbeat. Dump his massive contract and get draft pick compensation? Sounds like a win/win/win for Dallas.
Someone has to be interested in him first. They will have the same questions everyone has unless Romo proves he can still perform. That will have to happen with Dallas for everyone to see for themselves.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are assuming Romo moving forward is 2015 Romo. But if he's 2014 Romo, Dak hasn't earned the right to play over that. Why would anyone consider what Dak has done -- winning three games and throwing three Tds -- earning ANYTHING over the second best QB in the league? Is New England benching Brady just cause Garrapolo won a couple games? You guys love to run your mouths about Brady after all!

If Romo had an entire 2015 season of sucking like he did against the Panthers, that's another matter. But that's not what happened. He was injured, without a running game, and without Bryant.
So what would Dak have to do to prove that he deserves to continue starting. I'm assuming that 5-1 won't do that for you. Even though Romo has rarely ever done that in his career. I'm just curious? I mean we have like the second best offense in football right now. What the fuck do you think Romo is going to do to make that better? You can try to cheapen what Dak has done all you want by mentioning only "3 TDs" but he has also ran for a couple more and oh the by way isn't turning the ball over. But there is no denying, we have one of the best offenses in football right now.

Lets stop cherry picking 2014 like Romo doesn't have 10 other seasons of his career to look at.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jones doesn't want to pay a bench warmer for one. If he declares Dak the starter then that becomes a big management issue.
This is wrong on so many levels. In no way does having a starting QB who costs $500,000.00 a year cause financial issues. And you certainly don't decide who should start by the paycheck they receive. Not at least if you want to actually win games in the NFL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So what would Dak have to do to prove that he deserves to continue starting. I'm assuming that 5-1 won't do that for you. Even though Romo has rarely ever done that in his career. I'm just curious? I mean we have like the second best offense in football right now. What the fuck do you think Romo is going to do to make that better? You can try to cheapen what Dak has done all you want by mentioning only "3 TDs" but he has also ran for a couple more and oh the by way isn't turning the ball over. But there is no denying, we have one of the best offenses in football right now.

Lets stop cherry picking 2014 like Romo doesn't have 10 other seasons of his career to look at.
There's not really anything Dak can do to earn the job. He'd have to play like the second best QB in the league for an extended number of games. That is because the reality is, Romo is the only one who has earned shit. He has earned the right to come back and play at his consistent Pro Bowl level of play.

What Dak has earned is the right to be on the other end of a short leash and that's all, because it's been three wins against shit opponents with the benefit of a dominant running game.

Until there is reason to believe that Romo won't be Romo of old, or Brady won't be Brady of old, Dak or Garropalo can run up 3-1 or 4-1 or whatever records and then head straight back to the bench.

Romo will, eventually, give way to Dak. But that time isn't now.

Genghis Khan

Because when you read breakdowns of Dak's performances he's missing throws and reads that Romo wouldn't miss just based on experience.

Genghis Khan

Cause he HASN'T earned it. He's won three games. Romo has a career of performances better than Dak's.

And he still went 3-1.
Seriously.

Genghis Khan

Let's stop pretending that Romo's 10 other seasons weren't also pretty great.

Top Bottom