NBA Chatter Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think it's safe to say Rose isn't as humble as the media played him up to be.

As an aside, I had no clue BJ Armstrong was now an agent.

1bigfan13

Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
Interesting read regarding the subject that I brought up.

Paul George Injury Could Shape Future of Team USA

Looks like the NBA has a contractual deal w/FIBA which states that teams can't bar players from international comp unless there's "reasonable medical concern" going into the competition.

So it sounds as if the owners and the league can't make a player withdraw from the competition but I'm assuming the players still have the right to withdraw on their own.

D

Deuce

Cavs and Wolves agree on a deal. Love will go to Cleveland and resign in 2015, Wolves get Wiggins, Bennett and a protected 1st rounder. That's peanuts for a premium PF.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Minnesota wasn't going to get anything better than a package with a prospect like Wiggins, I can't remember the last time a player demanding out was traded for a prospect of that caliber. With that said, two things, first of all, LeBron clearly helped orchestrate this before he announced he'd be back in Cleveland, so as I said, this doesn't have shit to do with him going back home and has everything to do with him once again wanting to stack the deck. I'm 100% sure that if Cleveland didn't have the resources to add a guy like Love he wouldn't have went back to just play with Kyrie and a bunch of inexperienced, middling players.

And second of all, I like the Bulls chances against this team.

D

Deuce

One way or the other I can guarantee you that they aren't winning it all this year, whether the Bulls beat them or not.
I wouldn't gaurentee it, but I wouldn't pick them either. Too many guys need to get some playoff experience before I expect them to run away with it. I'm just going to pick the Spurs every season until they give me a reason not to.

As for the Bulls, they are basically the opposite of the Spurs to me. I'll pick against them every year until Rose plays and gives me a reason to pick them.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't gaurentee it, but I wouldn't pick them either. Too many guys need to get some playoff experience before I expect them to run away with it. I'm just going to pick the Spurs every season until they give me a reason not to.

As for the Bulls, they are basically the opposite of the Spurs to me. I'll pick against them every year until Rose plays and gives me a reason to pick them.
The Cavs will be a great team and I'm sure they'll win a title or two over the next 5 or so years but the fact of the matter of their current situation is that they have an excellent top 3, 2 of which are mediocre at best defensively with 0 playoff experience, and then a bunch of guys who are either young and inexperienced or just not particularly good. This is on top of a coach who has 0 experience in the NBA.

They'll be amazing offensively but the lack of defense, experience and general depth will be their downfall at some point.

And oh yea, after this season they'll be paying a combined 63 million to their big 3 with barely any room to do anything. The big 3 in Miami all took a bit less to provide flexibility, that isn't the case here.

As for the Bulls, yes, it obviously all hinges on Rose so we'll see.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Minnesota wasn't going to get anything better than a package with a prospect like Wiggins, I can't remember the last time a player demanding out was traded for a prospect of that caliber. With that said, two things, first of all, LeBron clearly helped orchestrate this before he announced he'd be back in Cleveland, so as I said, this doesn't have shit to do with him going back home and has everything to do with him once again wanting to stack the deck. I'm 100% sure that if Cleveland didn't have the resources to add a guy like Love he wouldn't have went back to just play with Kyrie and a bunch of inexperienced, middling players.

I think the Bulls have to be the favorite if Rose is merely good, he does not have to be at MVP level that team is very deep.

I like Cleveland in the long run because the have youth and some young talent more IMO than Miami had now knowing how much Wade was falling off.

My only worries concerning Chicago is everybody continuing to buy in and the injury history of Noah as well as Rose, but Chicago had a hell of an offseason and the biggest steal was Arron Brooks he will excel as that scoring guard to spell Rose.

1bigfan13

Staff member

Stephen A. Smith said the Wolves could have got a better deal had the made the move earlier. Apparently the Warriors were offering up Klay Thompson, David Lee, and Harrison Barnes for Love and Kevin Martin. Minnesota kept dragging their feet so the deal never materialized.

That Warrior offer blows the deal they got from the Cavs out of the water, IMO.

Anthony Bennett looks like a bust and I've never been high on Wiggins being the next superstar of the league. I think he'll be an All Star caliber player but I don't see him transforming into an elite player who will one day by the best player in the game. I just don't like his mental makeup.

Carp

DCC 4Life

You can want to go home and have a good team too. It is even better for both the player and the city, not sure why you view this as some kind of conspiracy.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me at all if a few of our core players call it quits after seeing this injury to George. Particularly guys who have contracts years coming up in a year or two. Durant and Love are prime examples.
I called it. I know George's injury was a freak thing but I'm glad Durant came to this decision.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Durant pulls out of Team USA for FIBA World Cup

NBA MVP Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder withdrew Thursday from consideration for Team USA prior to the FIBA World Cup, citing "physical and mental fatigue."

Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo said Durant reached out to him and coach Mike Krzyzewski on Thursday afternoon and "expressed that he is just physically and mentally drained from the NBA season and his attention to his many responsibilities."

Durant had participated in the Americans' training camp in Las Vegas last week.

"This was an extremely difficult decision as I take great pride in representing our country," Durant said in a statement. "I know that I owe it to my USA Basketball teammates to be totally invested in the experience. After going through training camp with USAB, I realized I could not fulfill my responsibilities to the team from both a time and energy standpoint.

"I need to take a step back and take some time away, both mentally and physically in order to prepare for the upcoming NBA season. I will be rooting for USAB and look forward to future opportunities with them."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You can want to go home and have a good team too. It is even better for both the player and the city, not sure why you view this as some kind of conspiracy.
I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just don't think he would have went home if the Cavs didn't have the ammunition to add an elite talent like Love. Alot of PR work was done to frame this as LeBron going back to his roots, and while it's true that he is going back to where he's from, I don't believe he would have if they hadn't landed the number 1 pick and weren't able to do something like this.

I'm basically saying he's doing the exact same thing he did when he went to Miami, it's just serendipitous that it all turned out like this for him to do it back in Cleveland.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Stephen A. Smith said the Wolves could have got a better deal had the made the move earlier. Apparently the Warriors were offering up Klay Thompson, David Lee, and Harrison Barnes for Love and Kevin Martin. Minnesota kept dragging their feet so the deal never materialized.

That Warrior offer blows the deal they got from the Cavs out of the water, IMO.

Anthony Bennett looks like a bust and I've never been high on Wiggins being the next superstar of the league. I think he'll be an All Star caliber player but I don't see him transforming into an elite player who will one day by the best player in the game. I just don't like his mental makeup.
Bennett pretty much sucks but I think I'd rather roll the dice on Wiggins than go with Thompson. I like Thompson, sure, but I think he's a bit limited and generally overrated, he averages like 2 RPG and 2 APG. He's a really good player but I'd rather roll the dice on a potential franchise player in Wiggins, even if I don't think it's likely he becomes a franchise player because I already know Thompson isn't really.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Bennett pretty much sucks but I think I'd rather roll the dice on Wiggins than go with Thompson. I like Thompson, sure, but I think he's a bit limited and generally overrated, he averages like 2 RPG and 2 APG. He's a really good player but I'd rather roll the dice on a potential franchise player in Wiggins, even if I don't think it's likely he becomes a franchise player because I already know Thompson isn't really.
And with Thompson you only control him for one year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...I think Bennett will turn out to be a player. I loved him coming out and admittedly he was bad last year. I do think though that the surgery he had to help him breath and sleep properly is going to be a big help. The NBA season is a grind as it is for a rookie, but to not be able to do those two things like a normal person is a huge disadvantage for a player.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
One way or the other I can guarantee you that they aren't winning it all this year, whether the Bulls beat them or not.
That's not exactly going out on a limb.

I think the Cavs will be no worse than 2nd in the east this season. Lebron is a much better player than he was 5 years or so ago, and that Lebron took a bunch of bums coached by Mike Brown to the finals. This Lebron is by far and away the best player in the league, and now he has Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love by his side, not to mention some decent bench options.

The Bulls will be a force IF Rose comes back as the player he was before the injuries and IF he stays healthy all year long. I'm a big fan of Thibs and I loved the Bulls' style of play, but that was before they lost a number of pieces that made them the defensive force they were. There's no guarantee that they're going to be the same team they were when Rose was healthy, so I'd say they have just as many questions surrounding them as the Cavs do.

Ultimately, what it comes down to for me is: Lebron > Rose

So I'm taking the Cavs to win the East.

Top Bottom