Watkins: Give Tyron Smith long-term deal

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Give Tyron Smith long-term deal
February, 18, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys have two players who should have their futures secured long-term in wide receiver Dez Bryant and left tackle Tyron Smith.

What to pay each player isn't an issue because each should get an average salary of $10 million per season based on potential and what he brings. Whom to take care of first is the issue.

I'd say the left tackle.

Smith's contract isn't up until after the 2014 season, but the Cowboys have an option for 2015 that can be picked up in May. Smith was ranked the fifth best tackle by Pro Football Focus in 2013, when he allowed one sack, three quarterback hits and 27 quarterback hurries.

To put that in perspective, Atlanta left tackle Lamar Holmes allowed a league-leading 53 quarterback hurries last season while playing in 13 games. Jermon Bushrod, of Chicago, allowed 42 in 16 games.

Taking care of the left tackle long-term is important with quarterback Tony Romo coming off back surgery. Romo's issues with the protection wasn't the tackles, it was the interior, which was solved in 2013 by the excellent play of center Travis Frederick.

But Smith's play, which earned him a Pro Bowl berth, was the best on the offensive line. The Cowboys need Smith, who turns 24 in December, to command the position for about 10 years. He's a stable player on and off the field, which is another plus for the Cowboys.

Locking Smith up at this stage makes the Cowboys look smart.

This isn't anything against Bryant, who is an important player as well. But once you have a quality left tackle, you better sign him for a long time.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Lock him up...he is our best player.

dallen

Senior Tech
Other than QB, LT is pretty much the most important position on a team with all the pass heavy offenses

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
This shouldn't even be a question. If you have a young, very good LT you have to lock him up and pay him whatever the market is. He and Frederick (and maybe Dez) are the only real building blocks we have for assembling a solid team when Romo, Ware, Witten, etc are done.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'd play hardball if I were Smith. If I have to play for a team that will never win a Super Bowl for the rest of my prime years then I want the most money an OT has ever been paid.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd play hardball if I were Smith. If I have to play for a team that will never win a Super Bowl for the rest of my prime years then I want the most money an OT has ever been paid.
Hell yeah.

Then he could take that money and spread it out amongst the less fortunate LTs in the game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hell yeah.

Then he could take that money and spread it out amongst the less fortunate LTs in the game.
:lol

Well played.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Top Bottom