2013 College Football chatter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
OU switched to the 3-4 after all of those 4-3 years. Stoops is showing willingness to adjust. Surprising.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
OU switched to the 3-4 after all of those 4-3 years. Stoops is showing willingness to adjust. Surprising.
It's actually more of a 3-3-5. And yeah, they finally decided to make some adjustments and get more speed on the field to defend against all the spread offenses.

The biggest difference is they are actually playing LBs this year. Last year they practically phased the LBs completely out of the game. That's why guys like Tom Wort who had no business jumping to the NFL decided to leave early. He and the other LBs weren't getting any playing time.

The result was Oklahoma being unable to stop the run.

Stoops and his brother admitted they made a huge mistake, even going so far as to apologize to the LBs, and the result is the LBs are playing more and the run defense has been a hell of a lot better than it's been in recent years.

1bigfan13

Staff member
As an aside, watching the 2nd half of OU-TCU was like watching the Cowboys-Chargers game all over again.

Oklahoma completely controlled the first half. They had a 13-0 lead and prevented TCU from getting a 1st down in the first half.

Second half rolls around and OU completely sleep walks through it while TCU seemingly can't be stopped.

Just like Dallas' offense the Sooners offense barely sees the field. About halfway through the 4th qtr the Sooners had only run about 9 plays for about 11 yards in the entire second half.

Brennan Clay luckily broke a long TD run with 4 minutes to play otherwise TCU probably wins.

It was a true deja vu moment.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It's actually more of a 3-3-5. And yeah, they finally decided to make some adjustments and get more speed on the field to defend against all the spread offenses.

The biggest difference is they are actually playing LBs this year. Last year they practically phased the LBs completely out of the game. That's why guys like Tom Wort who had no business jumping to the NFL decided to leave early. He and the other LBs weren't getting any playing time.

The result was Oklahoma being unable to stop the run.

Stoops and his brother admitted they made a huge mistake, even going so far as to apologize to the LBs, and the result is the LBs are playing more and the run defense has been a hell of a lot better than it's been in recent years.
Being from new braunfels and involved with football here, we know the Worts. Tom is kind of a meathead. Supposedly he left because he didn't like the system he was playing in. He didn't feel that he was built to take on oline guys coming at him. Which is true because he is not built very big at all. Tom has been overrated since day one anyway. He lived off of flying through the air and knocking hgh school kids out Roy williams style. He had poor tackling technique in college even. The dude put his head down, lunged and bit on play action very hard. Plus he's not big enough for the nfl with his skill set.

On the 3-3-5 deal - yes, they are running more of a multiple front based out if a 3-4 with sort of a joker. You have to in the big 12 with all of the passing and multiples of WRs lining up

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Any idiot knew this game would be a blowout, they're still going to end up far exceeding my expectations or anybody else's.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
So I saw this UTSA chick at the Marshall game yesterday.

I asked if she was a Cowboys fan and she said "Fuck no, I hate Jerry Jones".

I got wood.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That is typical in SA. Lots of Texans fans here and growing.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I saw that gif a few weeks back but it just struck me that that is Monte Kiffin as Carol having to be restrained as her daughter (Lane) is about to be killed.

:lol

1bigfan13

Staff member
I just saw the comments that Cody Kessler (USC's QB) made after last night's game.

What I gathered from those comments is that Lane Kiffin was all about himself and didn't really endear himself to his players. Kessler made it sound as if Kiffin was horrible at motivating players and that he wasn't very likable.

I don't know if Kessler has an agenda, because I don't follow USC that closely anymore, but that description is the vibe that I got from watching USC and it describes Kiffin's coaching career to a T.

He's always been about what's best for him and not the program/team. And the man has absolutely no loyalty other than to the almighty dollar.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
Oklahoma is saving Mack Brown's job. You're welcome, Ace.

BTW, I think it's time to revisit the Trevor Knight experiment.

Blake Bell has been pretty meh the last couple of games and he's been bleh today.

Knight at least has some speed and can make plays with his legs. Bell has been a lumbering tool who holds the ball way too long and has shown very little awareness in the pocket.

I'll take the RS Freshman if this is all the Bell has to offer because at least he can run and there's hope that he'll be a better passer going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom